Question about shaft taper

Jhunter354

Should be practicing
Silver Member
Some confusion on this with me. Here is how I understand it, please correct me if needed. A pro taper is one size from the tip to a certain point, 12" or 15" or whatever. A modified pro taper is very gradually increased in size to this certain point. Am I right in my understanding of the difference?

In watching matches is appears that earl and efren use a pro taper. Do they? Idc what they use, but it would help in visually identifying different tapers.

Also, are there any cuemakers whose standard is a shaft with a pro taper? Or is this something you generally have to specify.

Thanks.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I'm surprised you haven't gotten a dozen or so responses by now. I'm imagining the different opinions and definitions. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a more subjective topic.

First, what you described as a pro-taper is actually not a taper; it's the absence of one. There is no taper, it's a rod.
I personally don't like this being done to a shaft.
My definition of a pro-taper is one that increases gradually from tip to joint. The taper of the shaft encompasses the whole length of shaft, not just the first 12-15".
However, within that first 12-15", the increase in diameter of the shaft is so subtle as to be unnoticeable by the player. I also feel that this makes for a better playing shaft.

This thread should tie-in nicely with the parabolic thread.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
In answer to the last part of your question, many cuemakers build shafts with a pro taper. Ginacues, for example, come with pro taper shafts.

It is always good to ask though if you don't already know.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
There is no such thing.
If you are going to have a shaft made, say what taper you want ( by number ).