Question on an item I have for sale here.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue listed for sale and someone with 2 posts responded via PM that they want to buy it. We agreed on the listed price and he says he doesn't have a PayPal account and will use his friend's account to send me the money. Any red flags with that arrangement and if not do I send the cue to his address or his friend's who has the account?

I have a cue listed for sale and someone with 2 posts responded via PM that they want to buy it. We agreed on the listed price and he says he doesn't have a PayPal account and will use his friend's account to send me the money. Any red flags with that arrangement and if not do I send the cue to his address or his friend's who has the account?

Obviously there are red flags--by definition.

The question is...are those red flags warranted?

I wouldn't flat-out say 'no' to the deal, but I would suggest that you perform whatever due-diligence you feel is necessary.

Have the guy with the paypal account call you from his phone. Have him text you a photo of mail with his name/address on it.

My point is that you are obviously uncomfortable with the situation, you need to either back out or make yourself comfortable.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if it would be appropriate to post the name of the prospective buyer here but if anyone is curious or who has had similar inquiries about items they may have for sale feel free to PM me for the name.

2strong4u

Banned
Only mail to the confirmed paypal mailing address. Send it fully insured with acceptance signature required. In use USPS Priority Mail.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Via PayPal you can send a request for payment to his email address , which he can then pay via credit card ( or debit) even without having a PayPal account.

Physiqz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buyer doesnt need a paypal account, only the seller, you can use a card without ever having an account

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
could be a stolen pay pal account..... confirm directly with the pay pal account owner, as others have suggested...

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how much money's involved, but if it's significant, there's always the escrow option...or the get on the phone with the moneyguy and facilitate the payment prior to shipping. I wouldn't ship something on the open market until payment is received.

Last edited:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I Had a similar situation with a cell phone I offered on Craigslist. Paypal advised me to not send anything until the payment had cleared and to contact them at every step of the transaction. When I told him that's how I be doing this it kinda stopped the sale, but better safe than sorry, you know

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies. I checked him out with the person who has the PayPal acct. who is well known over on the FB Billiards page and he does appear to be legit.

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have him send a postal money order only. He has to take funds to the post office to make the postal money order. You can cash it at the post office or a bank, then ship the cue. If the postal money order is fake and he is out of your state, then it's a federal felony on him. Nice protection when paypal account does not exist. The plus for him, is that he will have a receipt proving his payment as well to you. Win-Win for both.

sebroy9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I recently got screwed so if I were in your shoes with what I've been through. I would def not make this deal.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have him send a postal money order only. He has to take funds to the post office to make the postal money order. You can cash it at the post office or a bank, then ship the cue. If the postal money order is fake and he is out of your state, then it's a federal felony on him. Nice protection when paypal account does not exist. The plus for him, is that he will have a receipt proving his payment as well to you. Win-Win for both.

This is so sensible.... Best means I think for getting things sold
(& PAID for)

* wish I had started this crap earlier *