Raising Funds for RKC. Contribute Now!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I rode bikes from the age of 14 (a Moped) to age 54 (450 Honda Rebel). Had about a dozen big bikes (650 and up, with two Honda 880 Choppers the best of them) and drove all over the West Coast, Nevada and Arizona. I had a bad accident at 15 on a Zundapp Bella scooter that left a scar on my leg. After that I was more careful and survived a couple of close calls at highway speeds.

My last accident was on a city street after a rain, when a guy cut in front of me like I wasn't even there. I tried to swerve and avoid him and went down, the bike landing on my left leg. It took me two weeks to be able to walk again without crutches and used a cane for another two weeks. My left knee needs an operation (I can't run, only walk) that I probably will never have. I sold my beloved little Rebel after that and haven't been a serious rider since, although there is a Vespa 150 scooter in my garage. It's great for riding down to the beach, but that's about it for me.

Sometimes it's just time to let it all go. Knowing when that time is, is the key. I had my motorcycle fun and survived to talk about it. :wink:

P.S. I rode in the era of no helmets, wore protective glasses only. You don't want a bug in your eye at 100 MPH! Took my Honda chopper to the max (140 mph) more than once. It was exhilarating but dangerous.
P.P.S. One more lesson to prospective big bike riders. This may not make sense to some of you but if you're into bikes it should, "Ride like you are invisible!" That's how you survive out there on the street.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope Glen recovers and heals.

The folks that get me are folks that ride without a helmet, and wear shorts and no shirt. Women riding in a bikini, while I do enjoy looking, is another one where folks are just asking for it.

While I am not saying anyone deserves to die or get seriously injured, sometimes you just cant help stupid.

Ken

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
…damn, just seeing about this. Glen, got to get yourself back in shape, pull’n for ya.
You’re going to need to find another thrill, way, of getting that bike off the truck.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Most of you know Glen Hancock as Real King Cobra on AZ Billiards. He's the one that's been traveling around the Country fixing tables and providing helpful advice on here for years. Glen had a terrible motorcycle accident a month ago and has been laid up and unable to earn a living. He's been unable to travel because his right knee is in need of an operation. Glen does not have medical insurance and he's got some really high medical bills pilling up. MRI's and corrective knee surgery soon.
I've started a contribution fund at https://myevent.com/RKC. I hope we can raise some money for Glen. Heaven knows he's done enough for us over the years.

PS, I've done this without Glen's knowledge.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for people who choose to not buy health ins. That why it cost the rest of us so much they wont be part of the system. Chances are his bills will never be paid and he will stiff the doctors and hospital leaving tax payers to pick up the tab. He got a check for $3900. for the bike. What are the chances he uses a penny of it to pay him medical bills? Or a penny of the money you good people are nice enough to give him. He will pocket it as well and stiff the doctors plain and simple. Heard this same story a zillion times. Tough luck, I could care less.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sorry but I have no sympathy for people who choose to not buy health ins. That why it cost the rest of us so much they wont be part of the system. Chances are his bills will never be paid and he will stiff the doctors and hospital leaving tax payers to pick up the tab. Heard this same story a zillion times. Tough luck, I could care less.

And i have no problem ignoring the ignorant few that like to think they know what they're talking about...LMAO first off, YOUR medical costs don't go up because MY health care WON'T pay for injuries sustained from a motorcycle accident, they say its the auto insurance responsibility to pay that....well hmmm....the Auto insurance for motorcycles don't offer medical....so they're not paying either, so.....do you feel stupid yet?

middleofnowhere

Registered
And i have no problem ignoring the ignorant few that like to think they know what they're talking about...LMAO first off, YOUR medical costs don't go up because MY health care WON'T pay for injuries sustained from a motorcycle accident, they say its the auto insurance responsibility to pay that....well hmmm....the Auto insurance for motorcycles don't offer medical....so they're not paying either, so.....do you feel stupid yet?
So why no health ins.? What does the auto ins. have to do with anything. Suppose tomorrow you ate a bad piece of fish and ended up in the hospital? People need to carry health ins.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
So why no health ins.? What does the auto ins. have to do with anything. Suppose tomorrow you ate a bad piece of fish and ended up in the hospital? People need to carry health ins.

In case you have not kept up, a lot of folks have declined health insurance because of the Obamacare deductibles of $6k-8k-10. Many just choose to roll the dice. A travesty, yes.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So why no health ins.?

Since you're such an idiot, let me explain something to you. Health care don't pay for auto related injuries....got that? Second, they say that responsibility belongs to the auto insurance industry. The auto insurance industry DON'T offer medical coverage for injuries acquired from an accident on a motorcycle .....got that?....Feeling stupid yet, shooting your mouth off about something you know nothing about?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Sorry but I have no sympathy for people who choose to not buy health ins. That why it cost the rest of us so much they wont be part of the system. Chances are his bills will never be paid and he will stiff the doctors and hospital leaving tax payers to pick up the tab. He got a check for $3900. for the bike. What are the chances he uses a penny of it to pay him medical bills? Or a penny of the money you good people are nice enough to give him. He will pocket it as well and stiff the doctors plain and simple. Heard this same story a zillion times. Tough luck, I could care less.

Once again, let me correct you seeings how you think you know what you're talking about. The damage appraisal was $3,900....of that, i pay $1,000 deductible....got it? Did happen to read that i haven't cashed the check yet????....and the reason why....or have you just been to busy ru ning your mouth that you haven't had time to catch up on the reading.

middleofnowhere

Registered
In case you have not kept up, a lot of folks have declined health insurance because of the Obamacare deductibles of $6k-8k-10. Many just choose to roll the dice. A travesty, yes.
That is actually what you may see for a family of 4. I have a feeling he would just be paying for himself. Also a high deductible is what we used to call, "Major Medical" ins. It was designed for major expenses not a doctor visit for a cold.. A $6000. deductible does not make you lose your house of file for bankruptcy.

Considering almost any hospital stay will cost you many times that, the deductible is a drop in the bucket as anyone who has had a sugary that saved their lives would agree.
I just had a $36,000.00 bill only a few months ago. I was in 4 days. Nice to have insurance.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is actually what you may see for a family of 4. I have a feeling he would just be paying for himself. Also a high deductible is what we used to call, "Major Medical" ins. It was designed for major expenses not a doctor visit for a cold.. A $6000. deductible does not make you lose your house of file for bankruptcy.

Considering almost any hospital stay will cost you many times that, the deductible is a drop in the bucket as anyone who has had a sugary that saved their lives would agree.
I just had a $36,000.00 bill only a few months ago. I was in 4 days. Nice to have insurance.

Sugary sounds delicious!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Once again, let me correct you seeings how you think you know what you're talking about. The damage appraisal was $3,900....of that, i pay $1,000 deductible....got it? Did you happen to read that i haven't cashed the check yet????....and the reason why....or have you just been to busy running your mouth that you haven't had time to catch up on the reading. I thought i explained everything so that anyone with a third grade education could understand because i know how some AZB members can be....guess i should have went with the second grade explaination.....hmmm.... I'll remember that for the.next time i explain something.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Since you're such an idiot, let me explain something to you. Health care don't pay for auto related injuries....got that? Second, they say that responsibility belongs to the auto insurance industry. The auto insurance industry DON'T offer medical coverage for injuries acquired from an accident on a motorcycle .....got that?....Feeling stupid yet, shooting your mouth off about something you know nothing about?

I just looked that up and you are wrong. At a point your personal health ins. will kick in. So you should see if your health ins will pay. Oh, thats right you don't have any.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

What ever happened to: "if you can't think of something nice to say, stay quiet"? Glen has been all over AZB for years answering questions from people desperate for advice on how to set up their tables, what to ask their mechanics, what's going on with Diamond, What kind and profile of cushions, what cloth? etc. etc. Most times, he answers and saves the person time, agony and money. Sure, sometimes it comes with attitude but he's the best in the world at what he does. Now, the pool community would like to see him get his medical needs handled and back on the road fixing Diamond tables in bars and our personal tables at home. Just ask Stan Shuffett of CTE what he thinks of Glen's work. Stan has asked him to come back for more improvements on his 10' Diamond but that will be delayed awaiting for Glen's operation. I can't think of another person on this site that has contributed so much. You can research under "Table Mechanic" and find a 10 page post Glen did on how to level your 9' table with pictures and all. How much has that saved people over the years? For one example!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I just looked that up and you are wrong. At a point your personal health ins. will kick in. So you should see if your health ins will pay. Oh, thats right you don't have any.

What if I'm a Vietnam era veteran of the army....for 9 years:rolleyes: anything else to say?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Not that i should have to explain myself to you, but it's clear you know nothing about me. First off, i have no credit card debts because i don't use them. Second, i have no mortgage to pay on or any bank loans of any sort, therefore no debts. I own everything i have out right and have never financed anything. Third, i got out of the Army May 20th, 1983, 34 years ago, and have never once spent a dollar for any medical treatment of any sort as i have never been sick. I have broken my right ankle while stepping off the back dock at the Diamond factory, but reset it myself, made crutches out of 2"×4"s the next morning and never missed an hour.of work, I've had broken ribs, once again, self healed. I have dentures now, but "i" pulled my own teeth first....so don't go running the shit out of your mouth about me passing MY medical bills off on tax payers or not paying them at all....YOU don't f*&^ing know anything about me buddy!!!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What if I'm a Vietnam era veteran of the army....for 9 years:rolleyes: anything else to say?

According to https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/access/emergency_care.asp

A medical emergency is generally defined as a condition of such a nature that a prudent layperson would reasonably expect that delay in seeking immediate medical attention would be hazardous to life or health.
You may receive emergency care at a non-VA health care facility at VA expense when a VA facility (or other Federal health care facility with which VA has an agreement):
Cannot furnish economical care due to your distance from the facility; or when VA is unable to furnish the needed emergency services.

So apparently, the OP post of not having healthcare benefits is in error.

Imagine that.

Ken