Rarity of Southwest under 19oz?

chaozzzsg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hasn't seen much southwest under 19oz, why that so?

I have a SW on the way that is 18.75 and that's the weight I like. Eagerly awaiting the cue!!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hasn't seen much southwest under 19oz, why that so?

I have a SW on the way that is 18.75 and that's the weight I like. Eagerly awaiting the cue!!

Mine is 20+ oz. It is ebony which is heavy wood, but I would agree that SW (at least the older ones) tended to be over the 19.

ken

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The only ones I've seen below 19oz would be the ones made of just birdseye maple. I've seen a few pacifiers and one birdseye merry widow with nice ringwork that were under 19oz.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
@OP, congratulations on your Southwest.

To others, can a cue be sent back to Southwest to have it re-balanced or lightened? I thought there was a weight bolt under the epoxy seal.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No weight bolts on SW cues. The reason that SW cues are heavy is that they like to use heavy tropical hard woods. Most SW cues are not cored.

My cue: Gaboon ebony forearm with Tulip wood points, it weighs 19.5. A and B rings. Three veneers.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Thank you for the clarification.

@OP, when your cue arrives will you post a picture? Now I'm curious.

No weight bolts on SW cues. The reason that SW cues are heavy is that they like to use heavy tropical hard woods. Most SW cues are not cored.

My cue: Gaboon ebony forearm with Tulip wood points, it weighs 19.5. A and B rings. Three veneers.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am not so sure about that. I spent some time there when Jerry was alive and the cues were being assembles with all the pins pre selected depending on what the final cue was to be. Some had larger pins and some smaller pins at the different connections including the butt.

They may have changed what they do since Jerry died I can't say, I can only go by what I was shown and had explained to me and saw with my own eyes.

If someone has a SW you can check with a stud finder if there are any weight pins as long as they are steel.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the clarification.

@OP, when your cue arrives will you post a picture? Now I'm curious.

I've played with the cue since I got it in 2008. I ordered the cue in 1999. I played before that with a plain pauferro that was about 19.75 and 20 with the other shaft. I traded it for a Pruett.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not so sure about that. I spent some time there when Jerry was alive and the cues were being assembles with all the pins pre selected depending on what the final cue was to be. Some had larger pins and some smaller pins at the different connections including the butt.

They may have changed what they do since Jerry died I can't say, I can only go by what I was shown and had explained to me and saw with my own eyes.

If someone has a SW you can check with a stud finder if there are any weight pins as long as they are steel.

There is no removable weight bolt like in so many other cues. If there is something internal in the cue I've never heard about it. Tads are the same way when you take off the bumper there is no bolt.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue weighing over 18,25 ozs but under 18.75 ozs are very hard to find.........It's taken me years to collect my cues and all my ivory joint cues weigh the same weight within 2-3 grams of one another....18.5 is my target weight and finding custom cues in that weight range is very hard and requires a lot of luck.......that;s why I ultimately ordered two custom to be made so I could get the specs I want for my pool cues.

My target is Cue Butt' 14.5 ozs........Shafts 3.8 -4.0 ozs (flat faced -no brass).....Joint: flat ivory 3/8x10 or radial pin..............finding cues by Joel Hercek, Ed Prewitt, Danny Tibbits, Bill Stroud, John Showman, James White, Tad Kohara, etc......is an exercise in frustration but there's lots of cues over 19 ozs.......its the under 19 ozs cues that it becomes a whole lot more difficult to locate based upon my experience.

Matt B.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would venture to guess less than 10%, maybe even less than 5%, of all SW cues made are under 19oz.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I would venture to guess less than 10%, maybe even less than 5%, of all SW cues made are under 19oz.

The way it should. A SW cue under 19oz is sacrilege. Hell, I think just about any cue under 19oz is a travesty.. Don't even get me started on those under 18.5oz..:rolleyes:

mrinsatiable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ebony sw cue

i saw an all gaboon ebony sw with red veneers under 19 oz...for sale a few years back.

it was a franklin too...but i didn't think too highly of it because most players i know play with at least 19 oz and heavier.

SW cues are so well balanced i'd be afraid to play with something under 19 oz.

01rkclassic

Cell - 937-554-5637
Silver Member

Yes there are weight bolts on some,Laurie confirmed this personally to me when I called to see if I could have one lightened,she told me there was a bolt under the epoxy and that no the cue could not be lightened by taking the weight bolt out,she told me that she could lighten the cue some by thinning the shafts some on my cue.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes there are weight bolts on some,Laurie confirmed this personally to me when I called to see if I could have one lightened,she told me there was a bolt under the epoxy and that no the cue could not be lightened by taking the weight bolt out,she told me that she could lighten the cue some by thinning the shafts some on my cue.

Weight bolts bring to mind a bolt that can be accessed under the bumper of the cue and unscrewed. I know for a fact that you can't see anything when you remove the bumper but wood on a SW.

When folks think of weight bolts they think of removable ones. If it is a structural part of the cue and can't be removed then its another thing.

Most cues you can change the weight. I just put the bolt back in my Mezz cue cause I don't like it light. It is 19.5. Most professional players do not play with light cues.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My mid 80s Franklin SW is under 19. It is Pau Ferro with maple pts and maple and red veneers.