Red to maroon

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
I have a friend building a cue. He is looking for wood that is red to maroon after it is cut and the finish is applies. He bought a block of Ringus something and the block looks red but when cut it looks red-orange.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
I believe the rengas will go back to the dark red color with time. Coco does the same thing as many types. Just set it in sunlight and it will darken.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

RBC

Deceased
If he really wants OU colors, he's just gonna have to stain it. lol!

No, seriously, Blood wood is a possible choice as well a some others. Boise de Rose, also known as Madagascar rosewood is a beautiful dark maroon to burgandy. But, it does darken over time. I have one I made 15 years ago, and it pretty much looks like ebony now.

Royce

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
Thanks everyone

I really appreciate all the advice. Royce you actually know the cue builder, it's Cory Blankenship. It will be solid red/maroon points 4 up 4 down and ebony forearm and butt. Again I really appreciate the advice and help.

Thank you,

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned, Bloodwood.

Also, Redheart and Coralwood.

Hey Bill how are you? I also thought of redheart. I have never used any of mine but know you have actually built a cue or two using it. I have a question. My redheart is the opposite of purpleheart. After a fresh cut the redheart is really red. After hanging for a while it turns to a weak orangish brown. Did your redheart stay red if sealed and finished soon after the final cut?

Hope you are well.

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
Sealing Redheart

Hey Bill how are you? I also thought of redheart. I have never used any of mine but know you have actually built a cue or two using it. I have a question. My redheart is the opposite of purpleheart. After a fresh cut the redheart is really red. After hanging for a while it turns to a weak orangish brown. Did your redheart stay red if sealed and finished soon after the final cut?

Hope you are well.

Hi Kelly,

I seal all my wood (not just Redheart) after each cut with Zinsser Seal-Coat cut 50/50 with Denatured Alcohol.

I don't know if this is the reason, but my Redheart maintains it's color pretty well.

DSCN1988.jpg

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Kelly,

I seal all my wood (not just Redheart) after each cut with Zinsser Seal-Coat cut 50/50 with Denatured Alcohol.

I don't know if this is the reason, but my Redheart maintains it's color pretty well.

]

Thanks......