Refinish recommendation

Dr Foot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent a " new to me" cue to Steve Klapp for a refinish. The cue had some nasty scratches in the finish, and some minor dings, but had a perfect wrap and 2 newly installed G2 tips. The shafts were like telephone poles, so I asked him to cut them down to 12.85 and 12.95.

His work turned out to be incredible. The finish is perfect, The wrap is pristine with no overspray, and the new tapers are perfect. He even managed to save my two new tips!

If you want a refinish, let Steve do it. His prices are VERY reasonable, his work is great, and he will meet or exceed your expectations. You don't find that too often nowadays.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
I think it's time I sent one to Steve for refinishing,
as I have read only great reviews on his work.

With all the horror stories flying about on the
Main and Wanted/For Sale Forums, this is music
to my ears. I can tell you with certainty that
Alex Brick is another stellar example of honesty,
craftsmanship, and timely turnaround.

We need more positive stories like these to renew
our faith in our fellow man.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent a " new to me" cue to Steve Klapp for a refinish. The cue had some nasty scratches in the finish, and some minor dings, but had a perfect wrap and 2 newly installed G2 tips. The shafts were like telephone poles, so I asked him to cut them down to 12.85 and 12.95.

His work turned out to be incredible. The finish is perfect, The wrap is pristine with no overspray, and the new tapers are perfect. He even managed to save my two new tips!

If you want a refinish, let Steve do it. His prices are VERY reasonable, his work is great, and he will meet or exceed your expectations. You don't find that too often nowadays.

How long was the turnaround time?

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same

I had the same results with Steve, plus he is a hell of a nice guy. The turnaround time was less then two weeks.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow

Wow I sent my old Jensen cue back to Mike Johnson for a new ivory joint an to clean it up took almost 4 months. But he always answers my calls so that was a plus. Also he's great guy an does top notch work cue looked great I also keep my old wrap an it didn't have any over spray. Just took along time only down side.

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve did a refinish for me. Great finish and wrap and less than two week turn around.

More than reasonable imo. I finally had a chance to meet Steve last night at our newest pool hall here in Charlotte (see The Press Box under pool hall review). Great guy and he's still excited to be involved with his work.

Check out his site at www.KLAPPcustomcues.com .. (Steve mentioned that his site is now a couple of years old and needs to be updated, so...)

or search Steve Klapp here on AZ's search engine for better Klapp images on finish work he has done more recently for others... very nice stuff.

Randy

Update on the Press box 7/11/2014:
Here is their new FB site...

https://www.facebook.com/thepressboxbilliard/reviews

Place was absolutely packed last night...with a waiting list started about 9pm. Awesome Food and Drinks and the BEST POOL TABLES IN THE COUNTRY. (13 New Blue Label Diamonds w new traditional Cyclopes Balls) The word is spreading!! New Earlier hours will be offered soon for the lunch crowds as well.

Come out and support this great 'face lift' for pool. Btw both Allison and Kelly Fisher were in this week again offering their support as well.

Chris, Ed, Jo, Andre' et al are working hard to get this business up and running right for us all to enjoy.

Randy

Last edited:

Otterman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still a lot of great cue repair guys....

I think it's time I sent one to Steve for refinishing,
as I have read only great reviews on his work.

With all the horror stories flying about on the
Main and Wanted/For Sale Forums, this is music
to my ears. I can tell you with certainty that
Alex Brick is another stellar example of honesty,
craftsmanship, and timely turnaround.

We need more positive stories like these to renew
our faith in our fellow man.

While the cue making and repair industry has its share of less-than-reliable members, I think the good still far outweigh the bad. You just don't hear the good stories as often (as you mentioned), so I'll throw out a few!

For refinishing, wraps and other repair work, it's tough to beat Scott Sherbine at Proficient Billiards. Very reasonable prices and quick turn-around times, along with terrific quality work.

Tom Coker - not only a helluva nice guy, but does gorgeous work at reasonable prices. In my opinion, one of the most under-rated cuemakers out there. I sent him one of his older cues for a refinish last year and it came back simply stunning. The custom cue he made for my son recently is a work of art.

Bryan Mordt - another under-rated cuemaker who does beautiful work at reasonable prices and turn-around times.

I'm sure there are plenty more out there of comparable talents and character. These are just a few of which I've worked with in the last couple years that I would recommend highly.