Reflection over deflection

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We made some more tests recently in the company to produce Boron-Carbide. They went quite well and we are producing this material in several shapes now. Production temperature is app. 2,200°C (app. 4,000°F).;)

As you might know, Boron-Carbide (B4C) is very, very hard (close to diamond) and relatively light (density=2.51 versus 2.2 for ivory). It is very stiff and it is probably the hardest material, that can be made with a defined shape, als diamond and cubical Boron-Nitride come rather in small grains. Often used for defense or neutron absorbers.

It is Sunday morning here, the family is still asleep and I am musing over the idea to make a super low defelction shaft for my billiard cue. :idea2:

How about a shaft, where the last 2 - 3 inch would be drilled hollow. The last quarter inch would have a collar made from Carbon-Fiber (more exactly Carbon Fiber re-inforced plastic - density = 1.5) and at the end a very thin cap of B4C.

The carbon fiber has a high tensile strength, and the Boron Carbide would add the stiffness. I would probably cut the wooden part to shape and then wind carbon fibers under some tension onto the wood. Then epoxy the fibers and wood together.

There is a little draw-backs: The cap could only be machined on a lathe with a router and a diamond tool.

Now my question to the cue makers: Would that make any sense?

Regards from Germany

Gerhard

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Without a drawing the hollow part and 1/4" carbon fiber is not making sense to me. Are you inserting a long piece of carbon fiber in the hollowed out portion of the shaft and then capping that with carbide? I think the carbide will take away from the hit of the cue. but it would make changing tips easier for people who do not have a lathe as their sandpaper and razor blades would not scratch it.

gehawe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

You are right - without a picture, it is notreally clear.

Here is my idea as a small sketch:

My idea was to leave the inside of the shaft front just hollow. The sketch is for a 13mm shaft. 9mm bore hole.
The wall thickness of the B4C and the carbon fiber would be 1.5mm (0.06").

Would that make sense?

Thank you

Gerhard

Attachments

• Tip1.jpg
    Tip1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gehawe-

I love ideas involving interesting materials, but...

Consider that, in the pursuit of low deflection, effective tip mass is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. There are other factors, but that's the huge one.
So anything heavier than wood on the front of the shaft will increase deflection.

Presume for the moment that low deflection is our only goal.

Now consider the words of..either Colin Chapman or Roger Penske; I can't remember which, I'm pretty sure it was one of them, but anyway, their immortal words were : "Increase simplicity and add lightness."

So with this in mind, and applying it to the business end of a pool cue, let your imagination run wild.

Robin Snyder

Last edited:

thelongbomber

Registered
In pursuit of lowering deflection, cue makers started using Pro tapers on shaft. That helped. Then they lowered ferrule weight and started using plastic/macardin/etc instead of good old fashion brass. Then someone (Predator?) said, hey, let's remove some wood and stick in some lightweight carbon-fibre/whatever to lower the front end mass and also that prevents the shaft from warping so easily (because we can't find good old maple anymore). Now, everyone thinks that's the trick to use. But through all this, hit and feel have been compromised (personal opinion). How come we can't just go back to smaller tip sizes, more exaggerated pro tapers, and keep it all wood/maple? Or how about introducing light/strong wood into the business end like bamboo/other that still provide good feedback without using dead/dense material like B4C, CF, etc? Am I off my rocker here?

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You mean to just use snooker cues.?
Lots of people around the world use their snooker cue for 8 and 9 ball