removing a joint pin

the breed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a friend of mine has an old cue with a 5/16-18 joint pin that needs to be standard uniloc. w what's the best way to remove the 5/16-18 with out screwing the wood up around pin too much so I can drill bore and thread for the uniloc?

tsp&b

Silver Member
If you don't care about trying to save the pin. Apply a little heat to the pin (not too much as to damage any ring work but enough to loosen the epoxy) and grip it with a pair of channel locks and back it out. Sometimes it is easier to hold the pin in a vice and turn the cue.

the breed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks, I thought it was something along that line. put plenty in, just never took one out before.

carguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's one more step. After the joint screw is out, you drill and bore 0.550 or so, plug the hole, then drill a new hole bore and tap for your new hardware. Should come out great. Have fun!

Robin Snyder

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a fender washer ( big washer , small hole ) and a small torch , apply flame to pin with the flame going away from wood on butt , use vice grips , only heat till you can turn the pin . I don't leave the vice grips on the pin , I attach when I want to try and remove it if don't turn yet . GL Jim

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Heat the pin with torch to remove. Since uniloc has larger shoulder in the middle you can retap the hole 5/16-13 bore the hole to accept uniloc and your good to go. No need to plug with new wood or phenolic.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a friend of mine has an old cue with a 5/16-18 joint pin that needs to be standard uniloc. w what's the best way to remove the 5/16-18 with out screwing the wood up around pin too much so I can drill bore and thread for the uniloc?

It does depend on the glue used to hold the pin in. I came across a cue and the heat required to remove the pin was too much. So I set to and drilled it out with a left hand drill,.ie lathe runs in reverse to drill it out.
I latter found out that the pin was put in with High temp epoxy. The wood and ring work would have been damaged trying to use heat alone.

Dirtbmw20

Lee Casto
Silver Member
I would think Jim uses it as a sort of heat sheild

That was my initial thought too, but after thinking on it harder, it seems the washer is just a larger heat conductor that would be in the way. Seems like the washer could possibly do more harm if it was heated up enough and touched something it wasn't suppose to.......... like my hand,LOL.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
That was my initial thought too, but after thinking on it harder, it seems the washer is just a larger heat conductor that would be in the way. Seems like the washer could possibly do more harm if it was heated up enough and touched something it wasn't suppose to.......... like my hand,LOL.

Lol
More of a temp thing I would think.
If he's using a torch, so the flame doesn't hit directly

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member

Lol
More of a temp thing I would think.
If he's using a torch, so the flame doesn't hit directly

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes , keeping the heat from the end of butt , it's a shield . Washer absorbs some of the heat protects the cue . Jim

poolplayer32091

Richard Penny
removing brass insert

Use a solder gun to heat the brass insert. It takes a while to heat it enough to soften the epoxy but then a pair of vise grips to unscrew the insert. careful, not to gouge the face of the shaft or the shaft collar.
then, you need to clean the void with a tap that is same as the insert you removed. If the brass insert you are installing has different dimensions, you would need to plug and drill/ tap for the new insert.

Richard Penny
CueWorks, etc.
www.cueworksetc.com

amarillonarrow

Registered
Was making a pool cue and got the joint pin very slightly off. Should learn but haven't made a cue in about a year. Anyway, I had the joint pin epoxied in with 5 minute 2 part epoxy. Surprisingly, I heated the pin up with a Harbor Freight 2000 degree heat gun, which they put on sale for about $10 normally. Anyway, heated it up about 10 minutes with a large washer to protect the joint collar and rings. Threw it on my 3 jaw lathe chuck and the pin came out IMMEDIATELY. No problemo.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was making a pool cue and got the joint pin very slightly off. Should learn but haven't made a cue in about a year. Anyway, I had the joint pin epoxied in with 5 minute 2 part epoxy. Surprisingly, I heated the pin up with a Harbor Freight 2000 degree heat gun, which they put on sale for about $10 normally. Anyway, heated it up about 10 minutes with a large washer to protect the joint collar and rings. Threw it on my 3 jaw lathe chuck and the pin came out IMMEDIATELY. No problemo.
I wondered what happened to this thread?
Seems like yesterday. Lol
Do you think the heat gun heated it up that quick
Or the 5 minute epoxy broke down that quick with little heat?
Hmmm????

amarillonarrow

Registered
Either way I'm happy with the results. Put a new pin in and made sure it was straight. Finished the carbon fiber shaft blank and made it into a real shaft and am now putting the final couple of clear coats on the cue. Also put a quick lock retractable pool cue extension on which retracts up to 13".

Attachments

• Latest Cue.jpg
    Latest Cue.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Latest Cue 1.jpg
    Latest Cue 1.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 57
  • Latest Cue 2.jpg
    Latest Cue 2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 58

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Always use anything that reflects the heat away from the collar, ringwork. Sometimes even a wet rag works. Don't like using five minute epoxy on anything.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I like to fold a paper towel into a long strip. Wind it around the collar then wind some tape around it to keep it there. Soak it with water (spray bottle works nicely) and then heat the end of the pin slowly with a torch. Between heatings, I like to put the pin in a vise and give it a good twist to see if the glue is loose yet. The bare minimum is what you're after here.