Restoring lost focus

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering, what techniques do good players use to restore their focus when they "lose it" and suddenly can't hit the side of a barn to save their lives? It happens to everybody, in every sport.

I used to be heavily into tennis, which is another mind-intensive game, and a common approach in tennis when your game goes down the toilet is to focus visually on the ball - like, burn holes in it with your eyeballs. This is what a lot of top tennis pros do when they're suddenly falling apart under pressure.

So I'm curious what top pool players do when they're in the middle of a critical match and suddenly their shooting goes south.

This may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlfJmIeqG4o

You will have to line up the shot with a point on your grip hand. The "V" a knuckle what ever point you choose. Use that point on all shots and practice a lot.

You may be getting the contact point on the OB lost. In other words your seeing the entire OB rather than the contact point.

If I am having issues I imagine a small dot on the OB, about 1/8" diameter. I use a white dot for the dark balls and a black dot for the lighter balls. Focus is guarantied.

Have fun and hang in there.

John

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Most of you guys don't want to hear this :deadhorse: and as a result most of you guys will not be able to benefit from the value of it. You'll shrug it off and miss what I believe is the best way to hone deep focus and concentration.

Regardless, when a batter goes to the on deck circle he takes a weighted bat so that the load is lightened when he goes to the plate.

Everybody is playing 9 ball. You want to increase your focus, your ability to find your concentration and allow it to last?

Play straight pool. Not how many balls you can run, how many frames you can run. I think that for those that don't play, you will find it a very humbling experience and a graphic illustration of just how poor your focus and concentration really is.

Once you can get through 3 or 4 racks falling on the next break ball, you will find a lasting zone of concentration.

The more often and the longer periods of time you play while in that zone, the easier it is for you to call upon it and make it almost a normal natural part of your game.

It's impossible to practice that extended focus smashing break balls running 6 or 7 balls and the game is over. Challenge your mind, your creativity. Make your brain find patterns that will lead you through racks of 15 balls. The result will be exercising your power of concentration until it becomes a subconscious part of your game.

When you take that back to the 9 ball game it will seem much easier.

I'm not talking about having a bad day of pool. Everyone has those.

We are all in different boats also. These days as I get a little older, I'm plagued with lack of desire, arthritis, bad ticker, and a host of other family distractions. I think these obstacles are more difficult to overcome than anything at the table. Lots of us struggle with outside issues that effect our game.

I try to play a bit less and let my desire to play build for when I do play rather than force myself to play and play sloppy.

It's hard to talk about this topic generically also. Folks on this forum range in their level of play. Some still haven't found the importance of alignment and delivery. If you can't get the CB to the OB properly, you can practice concentration until the cows come home and it isn't gonna help. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. :smile:

allanpsand

Author & PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Sometimes when focus goes away, and any tricks don't work - try this more philosophic approach:

Back off on your expectations. Play as if your competence is at half level and slowly work your way back to full confidence.