Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
(Also posted in the main forum)

The results of the finals (A and B) are available now at:

http://www.sangleeinternational.com/assets/PDF/2006finals.pdf

The top 10 finishers in the semifinal brackets went into the A finals and the next 10 went into the B finals. You can see all of the brackets (thanks to TD Charles Brown) at

http://www.sangleeinternational.com/2006site.html

In the final round, Blomdahl played Caudron, and if he had won, they would have had tied records at three losses each, and there would have been a play-off for first. Instead, Caudron won 40-39 in 25 innings. In that match, Blomdahl only had 24 innings, so he actually had a higher average than Caudron. Caudron had a 7-2 record in the final round robin. Four players were tied for second at 5-4, and Blomdahl took second based on his average (of 1.851).

In his two losses, Caudron averaged 1.947 against Dick Jaspers and 1.938 against Ramon Rodriguez and had 37 and 31 points vs. 40 for his opponents.

Dick Jaspers, who had the high grand average in the finals of 2.026, finished only 6th in the tightly packed field. He got the best game money (about $500) for his 40-4 trouncing of Kyung-Roul Kim in only 8 innings for a 5.000 average. Jaspers had two other games in which he averaged about 2.0 and still lost. Half of the finals field had best game averages over 3.000.

Caudron took the high run prize with a 20 against Roland Forthomme. He also had a 13 and a couple of 10s in other matches.

In the "B" finals for positions 11-20, Murat Coklu from Turkey tied with Raymond Ceulemans for first on won-lost, but had a great 1.775 average. Peter Ceulemans, Raymond's grandson, took third in the B finals.

Bernie33

Registered
Great Tournament

Thanks for the report, Mr. Jewett. I was able to make the 150 mi trip to NY to catch friday's action & the first two rounds of finals. It was WELL worth the 20 hr day. I wish I could have returned again for the weekend. The venue at Carom Cafe is a really great intimate setting, seating right up behind the players seats, views of several matches at once, and the ability to get up-close views of the different strokes,english, & shots. It was a small price to pay for veritable 3-C lessons from the best.

Right from the start you could tell this was not going to be easy for any player to walk away with. Upsets were all over the place, with Sayginer & Jaspers losing their first 2 matches. These guys really came to play. The very young Korean player, Sung-Won Choi, was an impressive young player going 11-9-10-9 in 4 innings against Blomdahl after trailing 13-0. I would have liked to see the other Turkish player Murat Coklu in the A finals, but he had one bad game in the semi's in the toughest bracket. He was a very solid player.

Even on friday, I sensed that Caudron was playing the best after seeing the run of 13. His position play was perfect, and had he not barely made a near impossible miss, he was set up to run much more. He was a very hard worker at the table & very focused. I hope the 20-run on Saturday was a taped match.

I think Semiy Sayginer has lost quite a few American fans (including myself) after his Earl Strickland-like performance at this tournament. His poor sportmanship, chalk throwing, & pouting was totally unprofessional. There is no denying his tremendous skill & creativity, but his attitude ?? - WOW!

Congratulations on one of the best US tournaments ever. I cant wait til next year.