REVO vs REVO

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with the REVO 12.9 of Deans on a Drexler cue for a few
hours, and I really liked it. I was wondering why now it seems
more people want a small tip and conical taper. It used to be
the pro taper was what everyone wanted. What changed that.
The conical taper does not feel good at all to me. I played with
the REVO 12.4 conical taper and it did not seem as solid as this
one.I guess if I played a lot better with it I could make myself get
used to it, but that was not the case.The cue is the Wiley Coyote
cue and the REVO looks great on it. I hammered the 10ball
ghost 7-2, I only take ball in hand if I don't have a decent shot
on the one. Got out 4 of the 9 games without BIH. Long shots
with English seemed easier than the cue I have been using,
little are no swerve.
jack

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played with the REVO 12.9 of Deans on a Drexler cue for a few
hours, and I really liked it. I was wondering why now it seems
more people want a small tip and conical taper. It used to be
the pro taper was what everyone wanted. What changed that.
The conical taper does not feel good at all to me. I played with
the REVO 12.4 conical taper and it did not seem as solid as this
one.I guess if I played a lot better with it I could make myself get
used to it, but that was not the case.The cue is the Wiley Coyote
cue and the REVO looks great on it. I hammered the 10ball
ghost 7-2, I only take ball in hand if I don't have a decent shot
on the one. Got out 4 of the 9 games without BIH. Long shots
with English seemed easier than the cue I have been using,
little are no swerve.
jack
I believe you may be confusing swerve and deflection. I don't believe any shaft, including a Revo, would change the amount of swerve imparted on and affecting the path of the cue ball on a longer shot, if your cue is elevated at all through the contact zone and you are applying spin on the cue ball. I could be wrong, but I'd like to hear from others regarding this assumption? Regardless though, very strong shooting to knock off the ghost 7-2 in 10-ball! Just curious - what size table and what size pocket openings?

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering why now it seems

more people want a small tip and conical taper.

Long shots with English seemed easier than the cue I have been using,

little are no swerve.

jack

They don't. It has been discussed here how more people are going back to fatter shafts. I think fewer people use very skinny shafts.

Swerve has to do with cue elevation, not cue construction.

Julian

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They don't. It has been discussed here how more people are going back to fatter shafts. I think fewer people use very skinny shafts.

Swerve has to do with cue elevation, not cue construction.

Julian
Yep. As Dr.Dave and B. Jewett have stated often. With a level cue all you get is squirt/deflection. Swerve is a product of elevating the butt. I test drove both Revo's back in March and i really liked the 12.9. Bigger shafts just fit my bridge better. Never have liked the smaller conical tapers.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I test drove both Revo's back in March and i really liked the 12.9. Bigger shafts just fit my bridge better. Never have liked the smaller conical tapers.

I had the same experience - I tried the 12.4 and did not like the feel or hit, but the 12.9 feels amazing to me. I previously preferred the 314s over the Z shafts, so I chalked it up (pun intended) to a preference for thicker shafts.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member
Squirt. swerve, defection

Yep. As Dr.Dave and B. Jewett have stated often. With a level cue all you get is squirt/deflection. Swerve is a product of elevating the butt. I test drove both Revo's back in March and i really liked the 12.9. Bigger shafts just fit my bridge better. Never have liked the smaller conical tapers.

I believe swerve is a gripping of the cloth by the CB if a hit left or right applied any time a hit on CB is above or below the horizon on a level stroke or even on the horizon if not level.

So a CB hit say 10 o'clock level CB would first squirt right (shaft deflects left) CB would begin rolling forward and rotating top left towards bottom right. Thus causing CB to swerve back left as it moves forward.

May be wrong and willing to read or view clarification..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe swerve is a gripping of the cloth by the CB if a hit left or right applied any time a hit on CB is above or below the horizon on a level stroke or even on the horizon if not level.

So a CB hit say 10 o'clock level CB would first squirt right (shaft deflects left) CB would begin rolling forward and rotating top left towards bottom right. Thus causing CB to swerve back left as it moves forward.

May be wrong and willing to read or view clarification..
Hit on equator. Should have said that. Level cue with hit on equator of cue ball. Even in your scenario cb will only curve a tiny bit.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think many wood low deflection shafts have lowered the end mass in a variety of ways including thinner shafts. Many players already used to LD were already comfortable with thinner shafts. When the Revo came out, the 12.4 is for those used to that. I am one of those people. A 12.9 or 13mm shaft feels and looks like a tree trunk to me these days. I keep thinking I’m hitting the cueball with a battering ram rather than an elegant piece of equipment designed for finesse. Plus the visual of a fatter shaft messes with my mind on where I’m striking the cueball with spin or how I aim certain shots. I’d rather not got back to a 12.9 and relearn any of that. In theory the 12.4 and 12.9 should perform equivalently and there’s no benefit of one over another besides taste / fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We can´t hit perfectly level cue because rails are higher than cueball center... :rolleyes:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
We can´t hit perfectly level cue because rails are higher than cueball center... :rolleyes:

On a 9' table with a standard length cue there are some shots you can take on keep your cue level, but for the most part, yeah....what you said.

Maniac

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
In theory the 12.4 and 12.9 should perform equivalently and there’s no benefit of one over another besides taste / fit.

Amen. It’s that simple. As for deflexion ..... I can’t spell that word. I cannot measure,gauge,realize what is happening. I hit good or bad. This LD stuff does not fit my profile. I play the same with any shaft once I get use to it. I’m enjoying the .4 over the .9. If I only had the 12.9 it would be fine. As for the track record.... REVO is still nick free after 1.5 years... and has been used alot