Rodney Morris Challenges the Top 25 European Players

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
and thats without going near the philipenoes or chinese lot

Rodney would not be so quick to make that claim against the Filipinos or the Chinese. He would get all the action he could stand IN A HURRY! He's had that opportunity to play the top filipinos for serious money before and took a pass. NO ONE, including the best filipino players could get out of Taiwan with the money! Too many stone cold champions waiting for them there. Even guys like Dennis and Lee Vann are in no hurry to run over there to gamble. They might win once or even twice, but eventually they would get worn out from all the super strong players. And they know it! Right now the best congregation of money players is in Taipei. If there is any American top gun who is looking for action, he can get all he wants in Manila or Taipei. But I don't like his chances!

Shane is the first American to take on the Tier One filipinos players and escape with the cash. I don't think Shane wants to fly the 90 minutes to Taipei to test those waters. To many Great Whites are waiting! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

freedomfry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rodney's beat every top player for money that he's played in the last few years. I seriously doubt if Appleton would play him for money......I'm sure he knows about the challenge and hasn't responded.

It's just cool to see someone actually make a serous challenge like this these days. He's from the "old school' and frustrated that no one gambles here in the US much anymore. This also comes from people saying Europe could make 5 Mosconi Cup teams that could compete with the USA this year and that's just craziness.

THE BREAK RULES HAVE CHANGED THIS YEAR FOR THE MOSCONI CUP....here' what Johnny Archer says about what's going on this year:

Johnny Archer
October 21 via mobile
The oddsmakers have come out with the line on The Mosconi Cup. They have Europe a 7-4 favorite. I don't think Europe is favored. Especially with the new break rule this year. We will be using a 4 inch wide break box in the center of the table and the 9 will be racked on the spot. We will have a gentleman's agreement to break the balls head on. I dont think we are underdogs. DO YOU???

if he needs 25 takers to do this bet, this is one of the most ridiculous and naive statements I've heard in a while: "It's just cool to see someone actually make a serous challenge like this these days"

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rodney Morris is one of the best money players on the planet in my opinion. He challenged (on Face Book) the top 25 players to bet 20k and play them all back to back.

Could the European's actually have 25 players that would have a chance to win against Rodney Morris? Maybe in tournaments, but playing for money is a whole other matter.

The Philippines may have a couple of players that could compete with Rodney, but I''m not sure they would actually play for 20k a set.

Problem is CJ if Rodney lost one set his backers would pull up. That would leave 24 guys with no game. ;)
P.S. He would have no problem getting this game in Manila, I guarantee you. They would send a car to pick him up at the airport! :thumbup:
Of course, Rodney would not make this challenge to the filipinos or Chinese. He knows better!

I bet if you really wanted to bet high at "two shoot shootout" you could go to Taipei and teach them that game. They are quick learners over there. :wink:
Oh I forgot you want them to come to Dallas to your pool room. You should be safe if you stay right there.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Rodney is playing well- which he has been in the past year or so, he has very few weaknesses. I'm not sure why anybody would be a definite favorite against him. The man shoots incredibly straight. I'm not saying he's the best player in the world, but he is definitely in the highest echelon of talent- so I'm not sure why people would scoff at his claim/challenge

I think it would be cool to see him in a TAR match with SVB first. However, I'm not sure Mark Griffin would welcome him. Would be an interesting match

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
He said he would go to London and play on a neutral table....so no, he's not asking them to come to him....he's actually offering to go to them and play in Europe.

Races to 30 for 20k a set is what I heard through the "grapevine"...I'm sure that's close.

He can play Jayson right here! And he might actually get a 20K game. If that's what he really wants. None of this will help him or Team USA in the Mosconi Cup. In fact it might even backfire making statements like this.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about because it's BOASTFUL and brash, for starters. He doesn't HAVE to win against any of these players. Like Jay said, he hasn't extended his "invitation" to the chinese or filapino players...yet! SVB would BBQ him for that kind of $$$.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I'm not sure why people would scoff at his claim/challenge

I think it would be cool to see him in a TAR match with SVB first. However, I'm not sure Mark Griffin would welcome him. Would be an interesting match

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about because it's BOASTFUL and brash, for starters. He doesn't HAVE to win against any of these players. Like Jay said, he hasn't extended his "invitation" to the chinese or filapino players...yet! SVB would BBQ him for that kind of $$$.

Scott Lee

I'm not sure anybody is a solid favorite against Rodney. Rodney is a great player and has tremendous confidence in his ability. Rodney can play with anybody, including Shane, Orcollo, Biado, etc. I'm wouldn't guarantee victory and I don't bet, so I wouldn't bet on it, but Rodney is top notch talent. I don't understand why people think any player would roast him for sure

denzy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rodney has made a bold statement but I think Jay is right. Jason Shaw and Rodney would be a great match. I really think the bet could get much higher than 25 dimes. Them two playing would be a close match.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I'm not sure anybody is a solid favorite against Rodney. Rodney is a great player and has tremendous confidence in his ability. Rodney can play with anybody, including Shane, Orcollo, Biado, etc. I'm wouldn't guarantee victory and I don't bet, so I wouldn't bet on it, but Rodney is top notch talent. I don't understand why people think any player would roast him for sure
Yeah especially after he robbed Orcollo of that victory at the US Open 10 ball being down 9-2 and come back to win 13-11! One the best comebacks in a major tournament ever. :eek:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
westcoast...I agree with you...but they're not the ones making the braggart statements...Rodney is! Just my opinion that Shane would BBQ him...but I know I'm not alone in that thought! :D

Scott Lee

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

guys im sorry but I got to chime in. im a huge fan of Appletons poolgame and as a person. Darren would b first to admit Rodney beat him in long gambling match. ive seen all the top pinoys and taiwainese play and they r all awesome. for anybody to say this guy and that guy would roast Rodney is a little much.
id say the Europeans if 25 of them thought they could beat him they would b playing already because they probably like money as much as anybody else. my point is nobody alive is robbing rodney and anybody who thinks so is just wrong.
u know how I know because I played them all not stood on sidelines talking about it. I also find it kinda strange how so many americans r so quick to try to convince everybody how guys from asia would rob rodney. I played alcano jay for 2 days even 10ball for a few thousand and won and before we played u probably would have said alcano will molest john etc.
again jay im not saying rodney will beat them but u talk like their is humans walking around who r just flat superior to top American players and that's a little over the top.
u r entitled to your opinion and im entitled to mine. u have watched propool for longtime and I have played propool longtime so I would think u might give my opinion at least a little thought.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so is it only working out if he finds 25 players? Rodney would be breakfast for Darren, however if he would play 25 guys he would have a good chance to win 13+ matches.
BTW I'm challenging the best 1000000 players in the US and play them all back to back for 10k. I will start with the lowest ranked players and work my way up. Any takers?

Who is the last guy Darren beat in a long race gambling match?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Who is the last guy Darren beat in a long race gambling match?

I think Darren does not like the long races, he is geared more for shorter races and tournament play. Nothing wrong with that IMO, he is still going to be in the hall of fame, taking down titles and getting the cash.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
guys im sorry but I got to chime in. im a huge fan of Appletons poolgame and as a person. Darren would b first to admit Rodney beat him in long gambling match. ive seen all the top pinoys and taiwainese play and they r all awesome. for anybody to say this guy and that guy would roast Rodney is a little much.
id say the Europeans if 25 of them thought they could beat him they would b playing already because they probably like money as much as anybody else. my point is nobody alive is robbing rodney and anybody who thinks so is just wrong.
u know how I know because I played them all not stood on sidelines talking about it. I also find it kinda strange how so many americans r so quick to try to convince everybody how guys from asia would rob rodney. I played alcano jay for 2 days even 10ball for a few thousand and won and before we played u probably would have said alcano will molest john etc.
again jay im not saying rodney will beat them but u talk like their is humans walking around who r just flat superior to top American players and that's a little over the top.
u r entitled to your opinion and im entitled to mine. u have watched propool for longtime and I have played propool longtime so I would think u might give my opinion at least a little thought.

Well said John, your opinion holds a lot of weight for sure as you have PLAYED the top players. :smile:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

John, you might want to go back and read my post. I didn't say anywhere that Rodney is not a top player. He is one of the few Americans who has made money playing in the Philippines. He picked his games carefully. Rodney has a chance playing anybody and I happen to agree that he may be a favorite over most European players gambling. Once again please read carefully what I said. I do think that he can get action with a few of the top Europeans and Jayson Shaw comes to mind first. Jayson might even play you John!

And I will reiterate that I think Rodney would be the underdog if he made a similar challenge to filipino and Chinese players. Not a huge underdog by any means, but an underdog no less. I would say the same thing about you John if you made a similar challenge, and I think you're a terrific player as well. In an all-around format that includes Straight Pool, you might be the best in the world! I don't think any filipinos or Chinese players would want to mess with you in that format. So you see John, it's all subjective, depending on the players and the game. But you know that too.

Last edited:

imissedthe9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rodney has made a bold statement but I think Jay is right. Jason Shaw and Rodney would be a great match. I really think the bet could get much higher than 25 dimes. Them two playing would be a close match.

Jayson would have to get permission to play Rodney from str8 shots first!

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Darren does not like the long races, he is geared more for shorter races and tournament play. Nothing wrong with that IMO, he is still going to be in the hall of fame, taking down titles and getting the cash.

I agree with this, I asked the question to the poster who seemed to say Darren would have an easy game with Rodney in a long race for the cheese.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John...Nobody is saying Rodney would be "roasted" by anybody (with my small exception commenting about SVB...which is JMO). Then again, Rodney is the one who making the statements...abeit apparently through his "mouthpiece" (Mr. Wiley)! LOL You know the fickle nature of this game as well as anyone...and anybody can beat anybody on a given day. I'm sure Rodney knows about this thread, but I don't see him rushing on here to comfirm/deny anything. But then again, that's apparently CJ's job! LOL :rolleyes: :D

Scott Lee