Rodney Morris Challenges the Top 25 European Players

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
John...Nobody is saying Rodney would be "roasted" by anybody (with my small exception commenting about SVB...which is JMO). Then again, Rodney is the one who making the statements...abeit apparently through his "mouthpiece" (Mr. Wiley)! LOL You know the fickle nature of this game as well as anyone...and anybody can beat anybody on a given day. I'm sure Rodney knows about this thread, but I don't see him rushing on here to comfirm/deny anything. But then again, that's apparently CJ's job! LOL :rolleyes: :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Rodney post on Facebook, not here, people have been relaying Facebook messages to everyone here it seems lately.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I agree with this, I asked the question to the poster who seemed to say Darren would have an easy game with Rodney in a long race for the cheese.

Darren doesn't like long races. Remember after his loss to Hatch on TAR he said no more. Darren lost that match because Hatch sharked the hell out of Darren IMO. Johnnyt

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

John, you might want to go back and read my post. I didn't say anywhere that Rodney is not a top player. He is one of the few Americans who has made money playing in the Philippines. He picked his games carefully. Rodney has a chance playing anybody and I happen to agree that he may be a favorite over most European players gambling. Once again please read carefully what I said. I do think that he can get action with a few of the top Europeans and Jayson Shaw comes to mind first. Jayson might even play you John!

And I will reiterate that I think Rodney would be the underdog if he made a similar challenge to filipino and Chinese players. Not a huge underdog by any means, but an underdog no less. I would say the same thing about you John if you made a similar challenge, and I think you're a terrific player as well. In an all-around format that includes Straight Pool, you might be the best in the world! I don't think any filipinos or Chinese players would want to mess with you in that format. So you see John, it's all subjective, depending on the players and the game. But you know that too.

the americans take pool too lax. if rodney had money posted and practiced everyday for a month and he play any Asian on earth trust me they would have a battle on their hands. they practice and play everyday. rodney has like 6000 girls chasing him and he parties daily so your right as of right now today he might lose but if he practiced for month hard he can hang with anybody . your American jay let me ask u a question if I may. if rodney an American played a pinoy who would u root for. a simple rodney or the pinoy would suffice. again your American so this should b easy one but I thought id ask u. I sense a bias when u mention usa players so I thought it dilutes your opinion on this subject. I think the pinoys r fantastic people and players but if rodney plays them ill pull for rodney because hes American and so am i.

Last edited:

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darren doesn't like long races. Remember after his loss to Hatch on TAR he said no more. Darren lost that match because Hatch sharked the hell out of Darren IMO. Johnnyt

Yeah, I've heard him say that he doesn't like the long races. I don't know what the shark move Dennis made, but sharking will always be there, unless you adopt 'monk' rules. I thought Busty pretty much sharked Archer when he made some comment about Johnny always trying to be funny. It seemed Archer was doing that to help himself stay loose, and it was working. After Busty made the comment, Archer's game fell off some. IMO Busty sharked Archer in that case.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the americans take pool too lax. if rodney had money posted and practiced everyday for a month and he play any Asian on earth trust me they would have a battle on their hands. they practice and play everyday. rodney has like 6000 girls chasing him and he parties daily so your right as of right now today he might lose but if he practiced for month hard he can hang with anybody . your American jay let me ask u a question if I may. if rodney an American played a pinoy who would u root for. a simple rodney or the pinoy would suffice. again your American so this should b easy one but I thought id ask u. I sense a bias when u mention usa players so I thought it dilutes your opinion on this subject. I think the pinoys r fantastic people and players but if rodney plays them ill pull for rodney because hes American and so am i.

If the chinese bbq Rodney then the pinoys will flambé him!

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
If he only challenged the Euro players, he must be ducking the Asian players.

--Jeff

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John, you might want to go back and read my post. I didn't say anywhere that Rodney is not a top player. He is one of the few Americans who has made money playing in the Philippines. He picked his games carefully. Rodney has a chance playing anybody and I happen to agree that he may be a favorite over most European players gambling. Once again please read carefully what I said. I do think that he can get action with a few of the top Europeans and Jayson Shaw comes to mind first. Jayson might even play you John!

And I will reiterate that I think Rodney would be the underdog if he made a similar challenge to filipino and Chinese players. Not a huge underdog by any means, but an underdog no less. I would say the same thing about you John if you made a similar challenge, and I think you're a terrific player as well. In an all-around format that includes Straight Pool, you might be the best in the world! I don't think any filipinos or Chinese players would want to mess with you in that format. So you see John, it's all subjective, depending on the players and the game. But you know that too.

What a good match that would be jay shaw vs the rocket!!!!! Perfect TAR match but instead of TAR putting up the prize fund I'm pretty sure both guys can get staked for 5-10k let's get some real action on there!!! Race to 100 over 3 days

RobertaAgnor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John...Nobody is saying Rodney would be "roasted" by anybody (with my small exception commenting about SVB...which is JMO). Then again, Rodney is the one who making the statements...abeit apparently through his "mouthpiece" (Mr. Wiley)! LOL You know the fickle nature of this game as well as anyone...and anybody can beat anybody on a given day. I'm sure Rodney knows about this thread, but I don't see him rushing on here to comfirm/deny anything. But then again, that's apparently CJ's job! LOL :rolleyes: :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Rodney posted this challenge himself on Facebook about three weeks ago, I think he would have an excellent chance myself. :)

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
US OPEN 10 Ball.......does anyone remember the finals?

if he needs 25 takers to do this bet, this is one of the most ridiculous and naive statements I've heard in a while: "It's just cool to see someone actually make a serous challenge like this these days"

The number 25 wasn't drawn out of a hat or thin air. It was because the statement was made that the Europeans could make 5 teams (of 5 players) that could beat the USA team.

Rodney said "I'm the worst player on the USA team and I'll play ALL 25 of them myself"
for 20k per match and put up $500,000. There's other people that would put up $50,000 that I know really, really well in Texas.

Rodney is one of the best money players on earth and that's just a fact. Playing for money and playing in tournaments is two different things, gambling takes heart, and playing in tournaments takes consistency. Rodney has both and proved it in Vegas a couple of months ago to win the US OPEN 10 Ball.......does anyone remember the finals?

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rodney was hot at the U.S open 10b for sure. One of my fav americans to watch.

Right now, race to 30 10b, I'd take Jason Shaw, Dennis, Biado, and Lee van over Rodney.

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
Rodney was hot at the U.S open 10b for sure. One of my fav americans to watch.

Right now, race to 30 10b, I'd take Jason Shaw, Dennis, Biado, and Lee van over Rodney.

I don't think Jason can beat Rodney but I agree with the others you listed. No FRIGGIN way can Rodney beat them gambling!!!

--Jeff

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Rodney would not be so quick to make that claim against the Filipinos or the Chinese. He would get all the action he could stand IN A HURRY! He's had that opportunity to play the top filipinos for serious money before and took a pass. NO ONE, including the best filipino players could get out of Taiwan with the money! Too many stone cold champions waiting for them there. Even guys like Dennis and Lee Vann are in no hurry to run over there to gamble. They might win once or even twice, but eventually they would get worn out from all the super strong players. And they know it! Right now the best congregation of money players is in Taipei. If there is any American top gun who is looking for action, he can get all he wants in Manila or Taipei. But I don't like his chances!

Shane is the first American to take on the Tier One filipinos players and escape with the cash. I don't think Shane wants to fly the 90 minutes to Taipei to test those waters. To many Great Whites are waiting! :rolleyes:

Not saying its applicable now, but incidentally, I once heard that Rodney was actually one of the only players, if not the only player, to match up in Taiwan and win big. Apparently, he beat Yang AND Chao in Taiwan back around the time when Yang was considered the best player on the planet (and had proven it by going to the PI and beating Orcullo).

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
don't wise up the geniuses

Not saying its applicable now, but incidentally, I once heard that Rodney was actually one of the only players, if not the only player, to match up in Taiwan and win big. Apparently, he beat Yang AND Chao in Taiwan back around the time when Yang was considered the best player on the planet (and had proven it by going to the PI and beating Orcullo).

That's true, but don't wise up the pool "geniuses". ;) It was reported that he won a TON of money in Taiwan (I don't want to disclose actual numbers).

The truth is all the greatest players know Rodney is a much better cash player than tournament player.....he just plays in tournaments because there's no action and I respect him for that......I don't know how any of them do it these days, it's too brutal to get ahead.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Rodney were to play a race to 30 for 20k against the likes of Pagulayan, Biado, Orcullo, or Lee Van I'd definitely root for the American.

But if I absolutely had to bet on any of those matches, I'd have to go with the other four guys. That doesn't mean Rodney can't win.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
This is the same guy that got STAKED into a $500 entry tourney just a couple months ago and CRIED the blues about a $50 late fee. And is part of getting events in America terminated as of late.

When Mark Griffin posted of his decision to cancel his events in the future and hold an invitational instead, Rodney's name was mentioned specifically.

Maybe a little time out will weight heavy and he may view his position differently in the future.

Certainly not the sole cause of Mark's decision but a part of it. Maybe the straw that broke the camels back.

Thanks Rodney, I mean, for all that you have done for pool as of late.

Theres talk and then there is action to back those words. If Rodney has the backers and wants this to happen, he could. I seriously doubt its much more than
lighting farts in the direction of Europe. Until then, its just smelly Fart Smoke and Hanes boxer briefs on fire.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Rodney said "I'm the worst player on the USA team and I'll play ALL 25 of them myself"

Thanks for a good laugh. Even in light of Archer's great 2012 Mosconi Cup, Rodney is the second best player on Team USA.

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Before the Internet, Rodney came here from little ole Hawaii and murdered everyone... He is a great player.

brandonspitler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Odd.......

I initially found this post interesting. Entertaining. And as far as I can see.... Rodney made this challenge to the top 25 EUROPEAN PLAYERS. So why all the, "He'd never make that challenge to the Pinoys or the Taiwanese!" talk???? He DIDN'T right? He said EUROPEANS right? Jay, it sounds like you are the one that's not reading the posts properly lol.
Nobody gives a damn that he wouldn't make this challenge to the other parts of the world. Because he didn't.
So let's take it for what it is. Getting the Euros yappy before the Mosconi Cup. Nice.
As far as the action goes.... I like Rodney's chances against ALL those players lol.

When is the last time we saw Appleton beat anyone in a long race for the cheddar? I saw Bartram beat him. Hatch beat him. Saw him match up with SVB @ the derby a few years ago, playing 8-ball.... SVB beat him.
Now, I think Appleton is an amazing player, as are many others on the Euro list....but for the cash? I grew up in America, so I cannot speak to the Euro culture.... but over here, those of us that grew up in the poolrooms of old....... always gambled. Its how we learned the game. Its how you paid your dues to get better. Perhaps it's the same over there? But with so many Euros that claim they don't gamble.... makes me doubt it.
So, I'll take the player that has been in action since he started. JMO.

BLS.