Room Size - What Would You Do?

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been in the situation before where a table wouldn't fully fit. I can tell you that it is extremely frustrating to not be able to play all the shots, and they do come up often. If it was the difference between not having a table at all and having one I would get it. However, if it's the difference between one size and another, I would get the one you can play a complete game with, otherwise you will find yourself playing than you would otherwise.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are only dealing with 7" difference between actual and ideal width, your shorty cue can be longer than 52".

I'm not sure why this escaped me til now. The real length I'd need to be comfortable is more like 54-55" for the "short cue," not 52". This sounds closer to "no brainer" than I originally thought.

Freddie <~~~ getting smarter by losing brains

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
If nothing can be done about one of the walls ...

I'd buy the 9-footer and place it so cushion noses are 64" to the wall on one side and 57" to the wall on the other side.

That will give you space for all shots with a full-length cue on one side. On the other side, you'll still be able to use a full-length cue for many of the shots, but could resort to a shorter stick for the others.

I agree with this... The long side of my table is set up this way in my home, but with the difference that there is a long 3-section sliding glass door that I can open for many perpendicular-to-the-rail shots.

My issue is that there is an angled wall near one of the corners next to that sliding door that would have also affected an 8' table to a lesser degree. I am intending to get one of these in the 48" or 52" size for the rare instances when I must shoot out of that corner pocket, which does come up several times a night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Trouble-...938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f0f2fdda

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rarely are you going to have to shoot straight across the table and be frozen on the rail.

Best,
Mike

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did the math (sorry if I missed it earlier), and you have 60.5" from cushion nose to the wall. This is with the table centered in the room. That's a 2.5" backswing in the worst case scenario if you use a standard 58" length cue. If you really like the rest of the house, I'd do it, and definitely go with the 9' table. I don't think you will need to even buy a short cue either.

Now for me personally, I might pass if I'm still in the looking phase of home shopping. I'm 6'-3", shoot with a 60" cue, and my back foot is about 1' past the butt of my stick when in my normal stance.

Since there is no wife in the picture, have you looked at places where you can combine the living room with the pool table? I did that in my apartment, and I love it. Here is a pic when I was figuring out how I wanted to arrange the table.

IMG_3243.jpg

tonemachine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a no brainer to me. Get a nine footer. I have a foot and a half in the kitchen where my L shaped room is only 13'10 or 13' 11. I offset the table a bit for totally free practice on one side and most of the other. I was later told that I coulda put it smack in the middle of 13'10" and been fine 99.99% of the time. With 14.3, you're gold.

tonemachine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just did the math (sorry if I missed it earlier), and you have 60.5" from cushion nose to the wall. This is with the table centered in the room. That's a 2.5" backswing in the worst case scenario if you use a standard 58" length cue. If you really like the rest of the house, I'd do it, and definitely go with the 9' table. I don't think you will need to even buy a short cue either.

Now for me personally, I might pass if I'm still in the looking phase of home shopping. I'm 6'-3", shoot with a 60" cue, and my back foot is about 1' past the butt of my stick when in my normal stance.

Since there is no wife in the picture, have you looked at places where you can combine the living room with the pool table? I did that in my apartment, and I love it. Here is a pic when I was figuring out how I wanted to arrange the table.

View attachment 348442

Haha. "Since there's no wife in the picture. ...." As if that should stop a guy... or do I just have the perfect wife? She doesnt even really play but she loves having it there.

tonemachine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Contrary to what has been.said....He wouldn't be compromising his stroke very often, if ever. The tradeoff is worth it. Most of his practice will be unencumbered, therefore not messing up his stroke.An 8 footer? No way is that trade off worth it.

Last edited:

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
I have almost the same dimensions

I didn't want to hijack the other amusing Room Size question, so I'm starting my own.

My previous table was (well, technically still is) a 7' that's actually smaller than a bar table 7'. The room I have it in is smaller than the ideal size, but I had some semblance of stroke (the room is smaller than the 17' x 13'10" that I would have liked to have had).

At the time, the choice was no table or a small table with tight stroke conditions, so it was an obvious choice.

Now I am in the middle of home purchase down here in FL, and the room in question is at 14' 3" width (>22" in length), which is less than my ideal minimum of 14' 10" for the width. If it were, say, 14' 6", it would be a no brainer for me: slightly tight, but nothing that would prevent me from getting that 9' Diamond.

However, at 14' 3", I'm at that crazy decision of 8' table with ideal minimum of 6" stroke or 9' table that for sure will be tight. I'm actually already asking a cue maker to make a loaded cue butt that would copy the balance of a normal 58" cue, but only end up being 52".

What would YOU do?

Freddie <~~~ could have worse troubles

I have almost the same situation , my room is 14' 2" x 21'6" I am going ahead with the 9' I will be a little tight down one side but for me its not an issue don't mind using my 54" cue for the very few times I will be 90 Degree off the wall on a frozen rail shot

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
While I was hunting for my table and still deciding on the size... at one point I ended up at a pool hall that had both 8 and 9 foot tables. I figured I'd play on an 8 footer for a bit to see how I liked it...

That exercise lasted about 15 minutes and I started focusing my search strictly on a 9' table. I learned in short order that I would much rather have a slightly compromised 9' table than an uncompromised 8' table.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have almost the same situation , my room is 14' 2" x 21'6" I am going ahead with the 9' I will be a little tight down one side but for me its not an issue don't mind using my 54" cue for the very few times I will be 90 Degree off the wall on a frozen rail shot

I wanted to revisit this thread I started and give an update. 14' 3" x >22' room.

The table came in: 9' Diamond

No issues with room. I've already had the shot frozen to the cushion, shooting perpendicular to the table. I didn't have an issue. I'm sure one of these days, the same shot will come up, and I'll have to stroke the hell out of it to get crazy position. But, it doesn't seem likely.

Freddie <~~~ doesn't know what those holes in the table are for

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from Diamond's site

Pool Table Room Dimensions Needed
Refer to the chart below to determine the MINIMUM space requirements needed for a
particular table size and cue combination. Reference line “C” is for a standard 58" cue.

dimensions

A is the area required for a 48" cue. Deduct 10" from minimum room size dimensions listed.
B is the area required for a 52" cue. Deduct 6" from minimum room size dimensions listed.
C is the area required for a standard 58" cue.

horizonta-line

Seven foot table: 3.5' x 7'
(Playing area: 40" x 80")
Minimum Room Size: 13' x 16' 6"

Nine foot table: 4.5' x 9'
(Playing area: 50" x 100")
Minimum Room Size: 14' x 18' 6"

Eight foot table: 4' x 8'
(Playing area: 45" x 90")
Minimum Room Size: 13' 6" x 17' 6"

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool Table Room Dimensions Needed
Refer to the chart below to determine the MINIMUM space requirements needed for a
particular table size and cue combination. Reference line “C” is for a standard 58" cue.

dimensions

A is the area required for a 48" cue. Deduct 10" from minimum room size dimensions listed.
B is the area required for a 52" cue. Deduct 6" from minimum room size dimensions listed.
C is the area required for a standard 58" cue.

horizonta-line

Seven foot table: 3.5' x 7'
(Playing area: 40" x 80")
Minimum Room Size: 13' x 16' 6"

Nine foot table: 4.5' x 9'
(Playing area: 50" x 100")
Minimum Room Size: 14' x 18' 6"

Eight foot table: 4' x 8'
(Playing area: 45" x 90")
Minimum Room Size: 13' 6" x 17' 6"
Didn't we ban these type of posts yet?

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I wanted to revisit this thread I started and give an update. 14' 3" x >22' room.

No issues with room. I've already had the shot frozen to the cushion, shooting perpendicular to the table. I didn't have an issue. I'm:eek: sure one of these days, the same shot will come up, and I'll have to stroke the hell out of it to get crazy position. But, it doesn't seem likely.

Wait... what doesn't seem likely, that you'll have to stroke the hell out of it, or that you'll get position doing that? :scratchhead:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member

No issues with room. I've already had the shot frozen to the cushion, shooting perpendicular to the table. I didn't have an issue. I'm sure one of these days, the same shot will come up, and I'll have to stroke the hell out of it to get crazy position. But, it doesn't seem likely.

Congrats! Glad it all worked!

-td

PanicKJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a pro 8 foot in a room that I was told was plenty big. But when on the rail I will hit the wall when stroke the cue.

I have a short cue, which works, but I hate it. Messes up my rythm. I hate to play on small tables but would love to have a 7' diamond for now untill I buy another house.

I had a cuemaker on here make a cue for where the butt of the cue unscrews to shorten the cue 6 inches. It is actually perfect. Still would rather have a smaller table.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wait... what doesn't seem likely, that you'll have to stroke the hell out of it, or that you'll get position doing that? :scratchhead:

The combination of both that I'd be dead perpendicular and have to put a big stroke on it. Maybe it will come up in a bank game.

As of right now, I haven't used the short cue and I haven't banged the wall.

And in case anyone was curious, I bought a Balance Rite 52" cue. I actually took this cue out to the pool hall for a test drive. It's not balanced rearward enough for me, but it's close enough. I might still order a custom loaded 25" butt.

Freddie <~~~ just because