Russian billiards players or those who have played: Questions for you...

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was playing 8 ball one time with a local friend in a pool hall in Azerbaijan. We had had a few beers or maybe more than a few and I wanted to try the weird table with all the white balls. I couldn't pot a ball. He said, "hit it hard". So I did and the balls started going in, well some of them. My two takeaways from this are #1 the different balls and pockets mean that hitting it hard into the corner pockets is, counter intuitively to a pool player, beneficial - #2 on a pyramid table hitting it too soft qualifies as playing drunk and banging.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too funny.

Guess it makes you a toucher and not a banger?

Was playing 8 ball one time with a local friend in a pool hall in Azerbaijan. We had had a few beers or maybe more than a few and I wanted to try the weird table with all the white balls. I couldn't pot a ball. He said, "hit it hard". So I did and the balls started going in, well some of them. My two takeaways from this are #1 the different balls and pockets mean that hitting it hard into the corner pockets is, counter intuitively to a pool player, beneficial - #2 on a pyramid table hitting it too soft qualifies as playing drunk and banging.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes you must hit them with force. Nothing rolls in. The pockets are smaller than the balls. Think about that. In snooker you can roll many balls in.

Attachments

• 8FF2BE5B-54D5-4198-B8DC-C1225CE55212.jpg
    8FF2BE5B-54D5-4198-B8DC-C1225CE55212.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 118

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is Earl playing free piramid.

https://youtu.be/j0hpM03RajI

Ok, this match is great for two reasons:
1. Earl is a riot in his dislike for the game and his banter. The frame where he opens up a 6 ball run then misses and the kid steps up and goes 8 and out was to funny. The kid is trying to contain himself after with earls reaction.

2. Technically, this really shows how much different it is from pool in that the entire strategy changes. Earl is playing like a pool player, and runs 6, but the kid goes to 8 with two shots in the side where he force follows his CB into the pocket for a double score. Something completely foreign in pool. The strategy is completely different compared to pool and that's what makes it intriguing to watch Earl have to deal with it. (Not to mention he's using a pool cue and the kid is a multiple butterfly inlay RB cue which also plays a factor).

Lots of learning in this video and thank you very much for the link. :thumbup:

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
I agree with the Balls of Black....... this is a great thread.:wink:

This seems like a very damaging game to many american ego's.
Looks super tough.

To the OP: Thanks for sharing.
S.Vaskovskyi :How about some strong safety battle matches...?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with the Balls of Black....... this is a great thread.:wink:

This seems like a very damaging game to many american ego's.
Looks super tough.

To the OP: Thanks for sharing.
S.Vaskovskyi :How about some strong safety battle matches...?

I remember a funny episode I witnessed once in the billiard school I worked at here in Kiev. We had four 9ft pool tables and two smaller piramid tables (10ft) back then and they were placed closer to the entrance. So one day I had a lesson with a student on a pool table while two strangers came in speaking English and having an interest to play some pool. So as the piramid tables were first in the room you see when you come in they came to the table looking at fifteen white balls in the rack bigger in size and at each other. Than one of them took in hand one ball out of the rack and placed it between the pocket's jaws saying something like "russians love to make it complicated..." . My student looked at me and we laughed together...

When in comes to some strong safety battle matches. It's so common part of the piramid with CB. "Moscowca" is the best example so if you're ready to spend hours to watch this kind of show...
For me one of the biggest surprises during this year was the match Alex Pagulayan vs. Dennis Orcollo during grandfinal WPS 8-ball. I've never seen such an 8-ball game on that level and I'll remember this match for sure because it's so uncommon in comparison to safety battles in piramid.;)