SBE

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pro players number going up. Tw0 big guns from Spain Two more from Poland. now we need SVB, Gorst,and Filler.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s definitely better then it was last year But the expo tournament isn’t going to get the big names like it used to. it was the premier event back when there really wasn’t any.. just not the case anymore.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They still need to support the tournaments that kept the game alive !!! They threw a fit after the derby
Do you mean the pro players need to support tournaments? They have to decide if a tournament makes financial sense. If the event is guaranteed to cost them money, they have to pass. Or maybe their sponsor decides to foot the bill for the advertising, but you can't put the burden on the player.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
It’s definitely better then it was last year But the expo tournament isn’t going to get the big names like it used to. it was the premier event back when there really wasn’t any.. just not the case anymore.
To my recollection, few superstars of European pool have ever crossed the pond to play in SBE. That's not likely to change.

Reactions: LC3

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I belive Hopkins gouges on the prices. The cost of a small booth is becoming prohibitive for a small dealer. Once all the small to midsized dealers are gone, that expo will have a whole different feel to it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopkins never adds enough. It’s always been a hair above a regional level event. At least for 25 years now.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I belive Hopkins gouges on the prices. The cost of a small booth is becoming prohibitive for a small dealer. Once all the small to midsized dealers are gone, that expo will have a whole different feel to it.
I hear a lot of vendors say that it’s hard to make money with what he’s charging . Maybe thats why the vendors got less and less over the years. God I miss the event at the old valley forge.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member

He charges $1500 for a 10X10 booth. I display at a few trade shows and it costs me around $4200 for a 10X10. Granted we are in larger, nicer halls than the Oaks but I don't think his price is out of line.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He charges $1500 for a 10X10 booth. I display at a few trade shows and it costs me around $4200 for a 10X10. Granted we are in larger, nicer halls than the Oaks but I don't think his price is out of line.
At $20 per person, per day, just to walk around. That seems like a lot. If admission was $5, there would be more foot traffic for the vendors. I believe $20 limits foot traffic. I know it limits me. I can afford $20, I just don't like paying it. So if I'm on the fence about going there another day, that $20 is the tiebreaker that keeps me home.

State Fairs are normally cheap to get into, which increases admission and helps the vendors. Vendor set-ups at State Fairs is like you mentioned (4-5k), but those vendors make it up (if they don't get rained out).

I've talked to vendors at the SBE that said it's hard for them to overcome the table cost. The smaller vendors struggle.

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
At $20 per person, per day, just to walk around. That seems like a lot. If admission was $5, there would be more foot traffic for the vendors. I believe $20 limits foot traffic. I know it limits me. I can afford $20, I just don't like paying it. So if I'm on the fence about going there another day, that $20 is the tiebreaker that keeps me home.

State Fairs are normally cheap to get into, which increases admission and helps the vendors. Vendor set-ups at State Fairs is like you mentioned (4-5k), but those vendors make it up (if they don't get rained out).

I've talked to vendors at the SBE that said it's hard for them to overcome the table cost. The smaller vendors struggle.
I agree about the 20 being steep for the locals but by the time I pay for airfare, hotel, food, beer etc. it's not a real factor.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree about the 20 being steep for the locals but by the time I pay for airfare, hotel, food, beer etc. it's not a real factor.
If you drive 50 miles each way and stay over one night and eat, $20 is not much. You're going to spend more than that for an evening at the pool hall where you see the same old players.

My beef is no more one pocket tournament.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let some advanced amateur win it.

I don't watch them there
...too much action to be had.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Find me.
We can flip quarters for 100s.
You'll forget all about the 20.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you drive 50 miles each way and stay over one night and eat, $20 is not much. You're going to spend more than that for an evening at the pool hall where you see the same old players.

My beef is no more one pocket tournament.
Agree. I enjoyed watching the one pocket more than anything else there. The last one I watched Appleton won. Not sure when they stopped.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find me.
We can flip quarters for 100s.
You'll forget all about the 20.
My gambling years are behind me; I'm too old to be stressing my ticker.

Be careful with flipping quarters though . I knew a guy that could win 100% of the time. It's a con man's parlor trip. It looks like it's being flipped but actually it's just wobbling. He tried to teach me but I couldn't do it.

After years of winning every first break he finally cracked up and told me about it.