Sbx cues of the year.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not the best pics but I thought some of you might be interested. The cue I voted for was the green and white Jacoby in the first pic and it’s the one that won. Sorry I didn’t get much info On the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_7040.jpeg
    IMG_7040.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_7042.jpeg
    IMG_7042.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_7041.jpeg
    IMG_7041.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 283

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fancy for the sake of being fancy, not to my taste but to each their own. Hard not to think "bedazzled jeans of cues"
I’m with you. these are pieces of art though . The cue that won will most likely never be played. I love looking at them .. I think the craftsmanship is amazing but I would have no interest in pulling them out of my case.

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

Brandon keeping the tradition. Jacoby is a great company and they always do these type of cues to show they can still make an elaborate cue.

With that said I think these elaborate cues shoot like crap just by looking at it. I've test shot some elaborate cues with hundreds of inlays and they have this hollow feel to it.

Last edited:

shooter_Hans

Just bought a Jacoby BlaCk shaft from Brandon for my Jacoby cue. He's one of the best people in this industry.
Good to hear. His dad was a great guy.

They are what custom cue makers should strive to be. They do custom but also have a line for the mass public. They would be on the upper end of production cues.

My only gripe is how Brandon signs the cues. The signatures are huge and messes up a design.

They use to sign them real small.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good to hear. His dad was a great guy.

They are what custom cue makers should strive to be. They do custom but also have a line for the mass public. They would be on the upper end of production cues.

My only gripe is how Brandon signs the cues. The signatures are huge and messes up a design.

They use to sign them real small.
I loved Dave. I won this cue at the 2015 Expo in the auction. Well, I won a voucher to get a cue and picked this one and paid the difference (voucher was up to $1,000). The cue caught my eye that day but I was in no position to drop $1250 on a cue at that point and I said that to Dave, who replied "Buy a raffle ticket and maybe you'll win." I did, and I always made it a point to come say hello when we were at events together.

shooter_Hans

Fancy for the sake of being fancy, not to my taste but to each their own. Hard not to think "bedazzled jeans of cues"
At least these guys make them to show they can make them.

There are companies that live off selling these type of cues for 5 figures and the general public believe they are the only ones that can do it.

lord_shar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There comes a point where the cue gets so fancy that I no longer dare to use it in game play. This is why I tend to prefer the older Gus style inlay cues... not overly elaborate, but still carries an understated elegance.

Reactions: bbb

shooter_Hans

There comes a point where the cue gets so fancy that I no longer dare to use it in game play. This is why I tend to prefer the older Gus style inlay cues... not overly elaborate, but still carries an understated elegance.
I love my custom cues but I have to agree with you.

In competitive play I will use professional equipment and when I say professional equipment I'm talking about the Mezz, Predator and Cuetecs of the world. Similar to Callaway, Titelist, Taylor Mad and Ping in golf.

The customs are for home play or casually with friends. Custom cues are not professional equipment.

Scrunge19

Registered
I’m sure they play fine but I’m always struck by how many absolutely hideous looking cues Jacoby puts out. They build a bunch of cues where it looks like they took the scraps from 5 other completed cues and combine them into one hodgepodge abomination of a cue.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brandon keeping the tradition. Jacoby is a great company and they always do these type of cues to show they can still make an elaborate cue.
Brandon has been the main cuemaker designer for 20+ years. So all the designs that have won Cue of the Year at SBE have been Brandon.