Scheduling conflict- Matchroom Hanoi Open and Reyes Cup clash with Predator World 8-Ball Championship

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not surprising given that WPA had threatened to ban all who played in a single Matchroom event from WPA sanctioned play, backing down just recently. In the aftermath of the outrageous edicts of Qatar, Matchroom had no reason to even look at the 2024 WPA calendar for potential conflicts while putting together its 2024 World 9ball Tour.

As the wounds heal from the WPA follies of Qatar, perhaps WPA and Matchroom will soon pay more attention to each other's schedule, but we shall see. Collaboration on tournament dates may be a pipe dream in 2024, but as a long-term dream, it is possible.

WPA's deplorable attempt to bully Matchroom and the pro players, and the ill will they created that was 100% foreseeable, has weakened our sport, but I feel confident that the pro game will rebound quickly and fully, and the resulting pool calendar will offer the pros a better living than ever before.

tomatoshooter

October seems to be a little early for a world championship. In a year round sport it seems like you'd make that the last tournament of the year, unless you had a schedule conflict with other events at the end of the year.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPA just released a formal response. It started just like their other similar ones over the years when there is a scheduling conflict. I was shocked it didn’t end the same way. They did not threaten bans. Instead, they asked if we could all just get along (my summary, not their exact words).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
WPA just released a formal response. It started just like their other similar ones over the years when there is a scheduling conflict. I was shocked it didn’t end the same way. They did not threaten bans. Instead, they asked if we could all just get along (my summary, not their exact words).
If that is so, all the credit to WPA, which now appears to be in the process of returning to the path that will advance, rather than divide, our sport.

As I have said before, WPA can be a very positive force in pro pool if it focuses on facilitating, rather than restricting, the activities of those who continue to invest in and play our sport.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
IMG_0844.jpeg

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Let the games begin. I'm getting sick of the pool politics. We're in a fractured industry already, and two major entities continue to buck heads. The pro players are the one who suffer.
Deja Vu.....for 40 years.

Reactions: JAM

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If that is so, all the credit to WPA, which now appears to be in the process of returning to the path that will advance, rather than divide, our sport.

As I have said before, WPA can be a very positive force in pro pool if it focuses on facilitating, rather than restricting, the activities of those who continue to invest in and play our sport.
Has similar feel to the BCA, a shell of itself, yet has certain cogs in the wheels of the sport that garner respect. No one likes to play second chair when they have been on top before. Evolution and creative ideas are natures way. PGA/LIV

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone find the WPA statement? I saw it on FB on my phone yesterday. But now I can't find it. I'm not implying it was deleted, I just forgot where I found it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can anyone find the WPA statement? I saw it on FB on my phone yesterday. But now I can't find it. I'm not implying it was deleted, I just forgot where I found it.
Well, it was not on the WPA website under News, so I proceeded to the center of human civilization, FleeceBunk.

The WPA FB page:

Screenshot:

1714840280614.png

1714840363174.png

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

It’s too hard to attach screen images here because the 128kb file size limit or whatever, but it’s on the WPA fb page still

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which event was scheduled first? If MR scheduled on top of the predator event, would they consider changing dates? Or vice versa?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Which event was scheduled first? If MR scheduled on top of the predator event, would they consider changing dates? Or vice versa?
As mentioned in this other thread ...

... the dates of the Hanoi Open (Oct. 8-13) were listed in early December, 2023 in the Mosconi Cup program. However that event did not appear on matchroompool.com in the list of all events until some time in April, 2024.

I think that the WPA announced the conflicting dates on April 4th, 2024 in this news release:

If either organization was interested in avoiding a scheduling conflict, they could have asked the other.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

Looks like I was wrong here. Although the line WPA takes is not as hard as was planned in Qatar, there is nothing especially conciliatory in their letter.

WPA continues to play the blame game and to misrepresent itself as paving the way toward a better future in our sport. In truth, their attempt to paint others as obstructing that path is pathetic in the eyes of this fan.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mentioned in this other thread ...

... the dates of the Hanoi Open (Oct. 8-13) were listed in early December, 2023 in the Mosconi Cup program. However that event did not appear on matchroompool.com in the list of all events until some time in April, 2024.

I think that the WPA announced the conflicting dates on April 4th, 2024 in this news release:

If either organization was interested in avoiding a scheduling conflict, they could have asked the other.

is venezuela even safe?