Scheduling conflict- Matchroom Hanoi Open and Reyes Cup clash with Predator World 8-Ball Championship

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Not in the next twenty years.
Maybe even 30.

i can see two scenarios where MR does 8/10 ball etc. Either the tour is already paying out 300-400k for first place regularly in which case they are successful enough to mess around with some specialty events.

Or, they reach a level similar to snooker but then suffer a significant decline and are desperate enough to try and mix things up.

Scrunge19

Registered
Like others mentioned, Matchroom is many years away from reaching their goals in nineball pool. They’re not going to dilute their brand by dabbling in 8/10 ball until that happens, if even then.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh oh.
Predator World 8 Ball Championship 14-20 October 2024 (First prize last year $75K) while Hanoi Open is 8-13October 2024 and Reyes Cup scheduled for 17-20 October 2024 :ROFLMAO:

Due to being on opposite sides of the International Dateline, October 13th In Hanoi is actually October 12th in Venezuela. It's conceivable a player could play in Hanoi and travel on Oct. 14th (Oct. 13th in Venezuela), arriving there on Oct. 14th! Yes, it could be done.

Flakeandrun

Due to being on opposite sides of the International Dateline, October 13th In Hanoi is actually October 12th in Venezuela. It's conceivable a player could play in Hanoi and travel on Oct. 14th (Oct. 13th in Venezuela), arriving there on Oct. 14th! Yes, it could be done.
I would actually pay to see that.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"If" both sides wanted to work together, they would need to do so well before publishing any dates. They'd have to start during the brainstorm stage, IMO. It must take many months to finalize a date with a venue, vendors, broadcasters, etc.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep in mind this is no longer about who announced which date first. Like iusedtoberich just said, Matchroom dates require complex arrangements with broadcasters, venues and other partners. The list of possible dates gets narrow quick and an ideal target date becomes first choice long before anything can be announced. Matchroom now has a full calendar they're filling up so any attempt at flexibility is just as likely to step on their own toes when you consider the logistics of the full machine and brand cycle.

WPA is not putting on the 8-ball event. They're just putting their seal on it. There's two real parties here. Matchroom and Predator. Emily and Karim could have a little private chat and float discretely to each other what dates they're considering for their highest tier events. They could play nice or not. And if not, it's looking like Predator went crying to the WPA for assistance.

But WPA is no longer the ultimate authority on international pool. Matchroom has clearly moved on, is not looking back, and cannot be forced to return. They'll never kiss the ring again. They'll never make a single concession. They have what they need and they are operating independently. The only leverage WPA has is not enough to deter them. WNT Tour pros will either stick with Matchroom or they'll straddle both as long as they walk a thin line. If the envelope is pushed again then the only losers are a handful of players harmed by WPA policies. And while Matchroom will find that regrettable, they'll saunter forth without them if they have to. They already have all they need to put on successful events and continue growing.

Last edited:

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

WPA publishes new sanctioning guidelines. Cat 5 looks optional and doesn’t have that stipulation on some of the field being international. Each category of event has a minimum lead time for application including up to 12 months in advance for top tier events.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

WPA publishes new sanctioning guidelines. Cat 5 looks optional and doesn’t have that stipulation on some of the field being international. Each category of event has a minimum lead time for application including up to 12 months in advance for top tier events.

can't read because facebook, but i assume it's pompous bureaucratic gibberish. the fact that they surely knew well in advance but still do the acting routine is enough for me.

also, predator could really be more savvy here. vietnam is very obviously THE place to host pool events. they should simply move it to vietnam so there could be three events in a row for the players and the fans. would be great exposure for predator. certainly better than having their event in a semi rogue state with the highest crime rate in the world. and if WPA would try to stop them, they should consider parting ways

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So their WPA guidelines charge sanction fee which is least 7.5% of added prize money https://wpapool.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/240427-WPA-Sanctioning-Guidelines.pdf
So for the big WPC next month prize fund $1M and if like last year 128 players entry fee $500 , then sanction fee about $70K And WPC agreement with Saudis is 10 years so about $700K :LOL:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So Matchroom just announced a new sanctioning body/ authority PRA (instead of WPA) for WNT events except WPC. This signals "official" split from WPA.
pra.PNG

This sounds similar to what Barry Hearn did in snooker forming separate governing body WST to run professional snooker which is separate from Matchroom and WPBSA
Though the big moolah is still that new $1million WPC starting next month in Saudi (for 10 year period) which is sanctioned by WPA or 10 years. Let us hope the WPC proceeds smoothly next month and there are no last minute "hiccups" :ROFLMAO:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like I was wrong here. Although the line WPA takes is not as hard as was planned in Qatar, there is nothing especially conciliatory in their letter.

WPA continues to play the blame game and to misrepresent itself as paving the way toward a better future in our sport. In truth, their attempt to paint others as obstructing that path is pathetic in the eyes of this fan.
With all due respect, Stu, you seem to keep jumping the gun and assuming the WPA is at fault before learning all of the facts. Your posts about them influence other people into hating the WPA for the wrong reasons.

Remember: The WPA isn't just a handful of people acting high and mighty, sitting around a conference table. It consists of the continental federations of all of the continents (except Antartica, of course). The issues are taken back to the federations and discussed with them.

Wouldn't it be better to just get all the facts first before issuing an opinion?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now comes the PRA to the already exhaustive list of alphabet soup acronyms of pool organizations.

I am not a pro player and don't have a dog in this fight, but as a pool enthusiast and virtual railbird, I want pool to succeed as a sport. I want the pro players to earn a decent living commensurate with their skills and devotion to their chosen career, much like other sports.

But the WPA v. Matchroom reminds me of two male dogs pissing on their territory, and the territory, sad to say, is the pro players who are getting pissed on. They should not have to pick sides. Why should they be the ones to feel the brunt of these two organizations engaged in a pissing contest?

I have not been a fan of the WPA in the past, but I do not want to see them dead in the water. As well, I want Matchroom to continue to grow and be successful. Their events are the best we've ever seen. Predator deserves some accolades too. They are investing a lot of effort into the lady pros and to the juniors in addition to players of all caliber.

The pissing contest needs to stop. Is the world big enough for WPA, Predator, and Matchroom? I hope so, for pool's sake.

Zerksies

I think they are both two diffirent bodies and i doubt either one gives a crap about what the other does. The one that the pros are going to go too are the ones that they have a better payout too.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just about seems like the takeover of professional pool is all but complete, and professionals competing at games such as 8 ball, 1 pocket, 10 ball, etc. will be pushed further to the fringes, at least for the time being.

Great for some.

Also seems like the US will continue to become less and less prominent in professional pool.

Again, great for some. Kind of sad, too.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator has one move left:

Switch their game of choice to 9 Ball.

Go with hat in hand to Matchroom.

Request a partnership where they takeover most of the North American tour. This would help Matchroom as it would help revitalize the US Pool scene.

Could become the WNT tour brought to by Predator.

Matchroom could still do their US Open and Predator could begin a long and fruitful partnership with Matchroom.

...or they just stick with the WPA and bow out completely in another year or two.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator has one move left:

Switch their game of choice to 9 Ball.

Go with hat in hand to Matchroom.

Request a partnership where they takeover most of the North American tour. This would help Matchroom as it would help revitalize the US Pool scene.

Could become the WNT tour brought to by Predator.

Matchroom could still do their US Open and Predator could begin a long and fruitful partnership with Matchroom.

...or they just stick with the WPA and bow out completely in another year or two.

don't see that happening. they have bought every world championship right except men's 9-ball, presumably for a minimum number of years. they're too invested