Schon cues extension

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got my latest, and best extension from Rick Roper (yo-yo). I have dealt with Rick in the past so I wasn't expecting anything less when I received his latest design. The original rubber bumper is replaced by an aluminum and rubber adapter that screws easily into the existing Schon weight bolt. That's it! Did I mention that Rick Roper's extension is sanctioned by Schon as the official Schon extension?

Extension 4.jpg

Extension 5.jpg

Extension 6.jpg

Rick Roper (yo-yo) can be contacted via Facebook

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are different than the style I got from him. Wonder how they compare weight wise?

Attachments

• 20221115_082745.jpg
    20221115_082745.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20221107_184146.jpg
    20221107_184146.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 111

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those are different than the style I got from him. Wonder how they compare weight wise?
I have both styles. I like the new version because the adapter looks more like the traditional bumper instead of having that large black plastic part on the butt. There is minimal weight difference between the 2 styles. Both work equally well. If you wanted to switch, you can send Rick your extension and he can modify the screw and send you the new adapter with your modified extension.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind the black plastic part, I just want it to be light as possible. My cue is fine, and easily adjustable to get the weight I want. I have quite a few extra weight bolts as we have three Schon cues, and have cut and drilled them to be adjustable by 1/10 oz, but my wife's cue is naturally heavy, and even with a cut down aluminum weight bolt was a touch heavier than she wanted at about 19.8 oz. I had Rick make me a cut back version where about 2/3 of that black part that sticks out is removed, and eliminated about 1 1/2 tenths of an oz. He is so easy to work with. When you have an idea of what you want, and talk to him about it, he seems to take it as a challenge to achieve your desired goal if possible.
In fact, I was just talking to him the other day about his bumpers for a couple of McDermotts we had, and how he made them. He sent me some pics of how he made them. I asked if he ever made them in a similar fashion to my Schon ones where they were screwed into the weight bolt and he said no as their weight bolt doesn't have that inner hole. I said I knew that but if I were to drill and tap a hole, would it be possible. In typical fashion for him, he said he could probably do it.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't mind the black plastic part, I just want it to be light as possible. My cue is fine, and easily adjustable to get the weight I want. I have quite a few extra weight bolts as we have three Schon cues, and have cut and drilled them to be adjustable by 1/10 oz, but my wife's cue is naturally heavy, and even with a cut down aluminum weight bolt was a touch heavier than she wanted at about 19.8 oz. I had Rick make me a cut back version where about 2/3 of that black part that sticks out is removed, and eliminated about 1 1/2 tenths of an oz. He is so easy to work with. When you have an idea of what you want, and talk to him about it, he seems to take it as a challenge to achieve your desired goal if possible.
In fact, I was just talking to him the other day about his bumpers for a couple of McDermotts we had, and how he made them. He sent me some pics of how he made them. I asked if he ever made them in a similar fashion to my Schon ones where they were screwed into the weight bolt and he said no as their weight bolt doesn't have that inner hole. I said I knew that but if I were to drill and tap a hole, would it be possible. In typical fashion for him, he said he could probably do it.
There are a few Schons that are on the heavy side, a result of the density of the particular wood used on that cue. The best you can do is what you have already done. Cut an aluminum weight bolt down. Before the new design, Rick had sent me an original style adapter that screwed directly into the butt without using a weight bolt. This helped lighten a heavy cue while using the extension adapter.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have made an adapter that accepts a mezz X-bumper, total weight is similar to a schon bumper. so there is no change in the balance or weight.