Scotch doubles straight pool!!!!!!!

Levi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Steve Lipsky!!! I saw a thread a while back where he posted that playing scotch doubles was a really great learning tool. He's right!! It also, really keeps you motivated because your trying to get a high run and you concentrate more because you don't want to screw up the run even more because it's not just you your playing for now..... your playing for the both of you. Scotch doubles simple, it means you set up a break shot and then just alternate shots from there on out. there are no safes because your going for a high run. Myself(Richard Molineiro) and Shawn "get-some" Wilkie on our first attempt ran a 124!!
I want to start a challenge thread for people to try and beat us!!

I know there are alot of great straight pool players out there and we don't expect our run will hold up very long ....but lets see!!

Come on players!! Thanks, Levi.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh...I believe your run will hold up for a long time. Playing scotch doubles in straight pool....

Never heard of it played in straight pool.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Steve Lipsky!!! I saw a thread a while back where he posted that playing scotch doubles was a really great learning tool. He's right!! It also, really keeps you motivated because your trying to get a high run and you concentrate more because you don't want to screw up the run even more because it's not just you your playing for now..... your playing for the both of you. Scotch doubles simple, it means you set up a break shot and then just alternate shots from there on out. there are no safes because your going for a high run. Myself(Richard Molineiro) and Shawn "get-some" Wilkie on our first attempt ran a 124!!

I know there are alot of great straight pool players out there and we don't expect our run will hold up very long ....but lets see!!

I agree, this is a great way to practice. Charlie and I often practice like this. it really makes you bare down a lot, and its even better to discuss and problem solve situations.

as a matter of fact while warming up during the 2010 worlds Mika, Robles, and Zion ran a 106 playing scotch triples !!! now thats pretty strong as well.

-Steve

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Scotch doubles in straight-pool is just great- i prefer it also if a player wants to learn straight-pool. To play scotch double with a student helps a ton (and not just for him!).
And the point above shown up already is right- You definitley want to play perfect- noone want to be the clown who s presenting a funny shot for his teammate :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I saw two of the very best 14.1 players in the world warming up for the 2007 World 14.1 event together by playing scotch doubles 14.1 together. That would be Dutch superstars Niels Feijen and Nick VanDenBerg, both members of Europe's winning Mosconi Cup team last December. No idea what their high run was, but they played this way for about an hour.

Levi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotch Doubles 14.1

Thanks everyone for your input, we are glad to see it did spark some interest!! We will be checking this site to see if anyone beats us!! 124 is beatable but not easy by no means.

Lets see what happens in the next couple of days? Me and shaun will be trying to beat our own 124.:D:D:D:D

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your input, we are glad to see it did spark some interest!! We will be checking this site to see if anyone beats us!! 124 is beatable but not easy by no means.

Lets see what happens in the next couple of days? Me and shaun will be trying to beat our own 124.:D:D:D:D

Start up the video camera or stream a few sessions !!!

Steve

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Let me ask a question - do you ever switch the order or does the same guy hit every break shot until more than one ball falls on a shot during a rack so the order gets juggled that way?

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Well,

often i just let *him/her* play a ball where he has different thoughts about. It s about practicing. So i don t have a problem if he here and there wants to shoot instead of me :) (sometimes thx god, lol)

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member

You got me. I played with Johnny Archer as my partner in a Scotch doubles 14.1 match against Nick Varner and "eales" from AZB on a double-shimmed table. They got up 98-62; and we ran 38 and out.

While that isn't noteworthy in itself - it was among the best pool experiences of my life - you get to hear the thoughts of a champion player on every shot (and of course I am sure we could have run another 300 or 400 balls if the game hadn't ended.....errrrr....well....possibly not.....Johnny would probably have missed eventually....).

I highly recommend it as an instructional exercise, as a practice exercise (you will maintain focus better while trying not to let down your partner), and as just a hell of a lot of fun.

Levi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
scotch doubles 14.1

It don't have to be the same person shooting the break shot every time if you want to switch off after the rack .....go ahead!! It's really meant to enjoy and have some fun. The next time we will be recording our runs. Sometimes we will be live streaming at www.ustream.com and in the search box type in Big Daddys Billiards and you will be there!

try to record some runs yourselves out there!! Me and Shaun would love to see some.

Thanks, Rick Molineiro....Shaun Wilkie.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
While I've rarely had the opportunity to play scotch doubles straight pool with any group that could play, I also agree it is a great game. It's a wonderful way to train your mind to stay focused IMO because your partner is counting on you.

Straight pool is my favorite game along with 1pkt, but as you get older, or I should say, as I get older, I find longer periods of focus more difficult to achieve. Playing scotch doubles is an incentive if you're not gambling, to stay concentrated.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
I agree, this is a great way to practice. Charlie and I often practice like this. it really makes you bare down a lot, and its even better to discuss and problem solve situations.

as a matter of fact while warming up during the 2010 worlds Mika, Robles, and Zion ran a 106 playing scotch triples !!! now thats pretty strong as well.

-Steve

Hey Stevie. While I can't be sure this didnt happen later, I was there when they were trying to break 50 (100 was never mentioned). They were having trouble, and finally Mika got called to play his match. I took his place, and we ran 56 in the first inning. Hehe.

Danny and I ran a 106 the first day we tried this, but haven't come even remotely close since. 124 is a helluva run, Rich. Congrats! As I mentioned on Shaun's wall, I smell a challenge after-hours at this year's Maryland Championships! :)

-Steve

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
A few years ago here in germany they tried to *create* a new modus for 14.1
The 14.1 Match was played by the complete team (4 players). But it was just for one season, because most of all players *were not so happy* about this.
I loved that idea- but it is for sure a hard test for the team spirit, lol ^^

Levi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Steve!!

Hey Steve, yeah maybe me and Shaun can do a challenge match with you and Danny? Sounds interesting? Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the learning/teaching suggestion about scotch doubles thing!! Thanks!! Rick Molineiro/ Shaun Wilkie.

We have ran an 88 and a 92 but never got to 100 or more... playing scotch doubles until that day of 124. I would like to hear about some runs that you and Danny might do in the near future!!

Thanks again!!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Hey Stevie. While I can't be sure this didnt happen later, I was there when they were trying to break 50 (100 was never mentioned). They were having trouble, and finally Mika got called to play his match. I took his place, and we ran 56 in the first inning. Hehe.

Danny and I ran a 106 the first day we tried this, but haven't come even remotely close since. 124 is a helluva run, Rich. Congrats! As I mentioned on Shaun's wall, I smell a challenge after-hours at this year's Maryland Championships! :)

-Steve

Stevie, Stevie !!

i was there watching as they were in the 80s then i had to leave because my match was called as well. I later learned from someone else that was watching at the time that they had missed at 106. but he did not say who made the err. either way its a fantastic number !!

and again rich your 124 with Shaun is awesome, and Stevie and Danny 106 is amazing as well !!

-Steve

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

Congratulations! :thumbup:

Wonder if I can get my buddy and year-long team mate Patrick to dust off his cue, put up a camera and give this a try at the pool hall. Love Scotch double it because it helps my concentration (8-Ball Scotch double is one of the disciplines in our National Team Cup), but although I agree with Ingo (aka Ratta) that it's a great learning tool (once ran about 80 with a former student of mine), I personally find it most fun with someone one knows well and doesn't feel the need to discuss much. Three digits at Scotch doubles sure sounds like a fun challenge!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Hey Steve, yeah maybe me and Shaun can do a challenge match with you and Danny? Sounds interesting? Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the learning/teaching suggestion about scotch doubles thing!! Thanks!! Rick Molineiro/ Shaun Wilkie.

We have ran an 88 and a 92 but never got to 100 or more... playing scotch doubles until that day of 124. I would like to hear about some runs that you and Danny might do in the near future!!

Thanks again!!

Sounds like a ton of fun Rick. We're in!

Glad you enjoyed the scotch. Look forward to seeing you guys in a couple months.

- Steve

Steve Lipsky

Silver Member
Stevie, Stevie !!

i was there watching as they were in the 80s then i had to leave because my match was called as well. I later learned from someone else that was watching at the time that they had missed at 106. but he did not say who made the err. either way its a fantastic number !!

and again rich your 124 with Shaun is awesome, and Stevie and Danny 106 is amazing as well !!

-Steve

Must've been fun to watch Stevie. Sorry I missed it!

- Steve

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did this up at big daddys with Rick yesterday , it realy is a good way to practice and since Im not at Ricks speed I could easily see the benfits of this approach for me as several times I would have gone differant routs
and I think the better player benifits when thier teaching even basic fundementals keep them solid,,

I think this would be a good challange format,, and or even turny