Searing Box Cue: My Daily Player

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Eddie Kelly`s Box Cue and Others......

Beautiful. Reminds me so much of Eddie Kelly's Gina box cue from the late 60's.

Hi Steve,

One good rule: Don`t ever get me going on about box cues. I love`em!

The Searing is reminiscent of the Eddie Kelly Ginacue box cue that he played with so much all around the country. This Ginacue box cue is the first box cue ever made. Anywhere. Made in 1969.

I own the Eddie Kelly Ginacue box cue also, and keep these two cues very close to side by side. In 2006, Ernie G made me a modern Ginacue updated stunning version (my opinion) to go with the Kelly cue. I like box cues a lot, and have dozens. Many are very rare.

A while back, I picked up a Josswest box cue made in 1972 by Bill Stroud for Richie Florence. An 11 on the Cool Factor, it has a very unique history. It has a white, plastic material (??) forearm with ebony boxes trimmed in orange and green veneers. Fancy backend. Nick Varner had one similar that he used when we played a lot in the early-mid 70`s.

Nick`s cue got me interested in ordering my first box cue c1972-3, a Josswest that I still have. It was lost for 32+ years, but I found it and re-acquired it in 2006. Kinda like being able to buy back your first car that you loved, decades later. But that one is a whole other story.

Last year, after the ICCS cue show, I picked up a custom David Kersenbrock fancy ebony box cue with maple notched boxes in the forearm, with tons of silver scattered in the forearm and buttsleeve.

I`ve got several Gus Szamboti box cues, a Barry Szamboti box cue (that I love), etc.

Eight ebony and ivory Josswest box cues, a Josswest pink ivory wood and ivory box cue (Stroud`s playing cue), Omaha John Shupett`s Josswest box cue, Jim Rempe`s Joss box cue he designed on back of bank statement with Stroud after winning a Major title c1970 (have statement), Schick`s personal playing ebony and ivory box cue, etc, etc,...

My fanciest one was crafted by Andy Gilbert, one of his very best efforts to date.

McDaniel Kling box cue, half dozen Schicks, three Mottey ivory handle box cues (scrimshawed), etc...

Sorry I was rambling, but I am sitting at my computer enjoying the cues. I`m gonna go join`em.

...And no, I don`t keep them.... in a "box"! :p

Heh, heh.... sorry, :eek::eek:

Will

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Will

Don't apologize for that post, thanks for the peek into that collection. I've seen that very unique Joss West along with at least one other of your box cues.

That Rempe with the design notes is a great historical collectible. I saw Jim play lots and thought him to be a great player as well as a pretty class act.

Nice stuff

Kevin

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Hi Steve,

The Searing is reminiscent of the Eddie Kelly Ginacue box cue that he played with so much all around the country. This Ginacue box cue is the first box cue ever made. Anywhere. Made in 1969.

I own the Eddie Kelly Ginacue box cue also, and keep these two cues very close to side by side. In 2006, Ernie G made me a modern Ginacue updated stunning version (my opinion) to go with the Kelly cue. I like box cues a lot, and have dozens. Many are very rare.

A while back, I picked up a Josswest box cue made in 1972 by Bill Stroud for Richie Florence. An 11 on the Cool Factor, it has a very unique history. It has a white, plastic material (??) forearm with ebony boxes trimmed in orange and green veneers. Fancy backend. Nick Varner had one similar that he used when we played a lot in the early-mid 70`s.

Nick`s cue got me interested in ordering my first box cue c1972-3, a Josswest that I still have. It was lost for 32+ years, but I found it and re-acquired it in 2006. Kinda like being able to buy back your first car that you loved, decades later. But that one is a whole other story.

Last year, after the ICCS cue show, I picked up a custom David Kersenbrock fancy ebony box cue with maple notched boxes in the forearm, with tons of silver scattered in the forearm and buttsleeve.

I`ve got several Gus Szamboti box cues, a Barry Szamboti box cue (that I love), etc.

Eight ebony and ivory Josswest box cues, a Josswest pink ivory wood and ivory box cue (Stroud`s playing cue), Omaha John Shupett`s Josswest box cue, Jim Rempe`s Joss box cue he designed on back of bank statement with Stroud after winning the U.S. Open c1970 (have statement), Schick`s personal playing ebony and ivory box cue, etc, etc,...

My fanciest one was crafted by Andy Gilbert, one of his very best efforts to date.

McDaniel Kling box cue, half dozen Schicks, three Mottey ivory handle box cues (scrimshawed), etc...

Sorry I was rambling, but I am sitting at my computer enjoying the cues. I`m gonna go join`em.

Will

Wow Will, several Gus Szamboti box cues, yer killin' me. Can we ever see a group picture? I love the Kling you have, and watched as Bill McDaniel and Sam Engles designed it from George Rood's Circassian Walnut Kling table. There is another one in California with Ivory Joint and Butt Cap, went to the guy, Jack Marsh, who bought George's table.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
George Rood

Wow Will, several Gus Szamboti box cues, yer killin' me. Can we ever see a group picture? I love the Kling you have, and watched as Bill McDaniel and Sam Engles designed it from George Rood's Circassian Walnut Kling table. There is another one in California with Ivory Joint and Butt Cap, went to the guy, Jack Marsh, who bought George's table.

I Took a picture of me with George Rood a couple of years ago in Louisville at DCC. One of my favorite pictures.

I grew up in Ohio in the early 60`s (moved away in late 80`s) and can say George was known as an absolute Monster on the pool table, likely one of the best players who ever lived. As you know, he beat`em all. If someone wants to know who, just have them start naming names. And a perfect gentleman to boot!

Thanks for the additional information. I have printed it, and will keep in my files!

Will

Last edited:

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Steve,

Eight ebony and ivory Josswest box cues, a Josswest pink ivory wood and ivory box cue (Stroud`s playing cue), Omaha John Shupett`s Josswest box cue, Jim Rempe`s Joss box cue he designed on back of bank statement with Stroud after winning a Major title c1970 (have statement), Schick`s personal playing ebony and ivory box cue, etc, etc,...

Will

Ahhh. I remember that cue.

Scott

Vinman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Steve,

Will

Hey Will,

Thanks for sharing a little cue history. I would love to see your box cues in a gallery thread someday!

Vinny

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Thanks, Jack!

Good to hear from you. I`ve still got that Tad cue you helped me land a couple of summers ago!

Take care,

Will

MsBushwhacker

Searing Box Cue

First page cue. Hey Will, if I ever make it out to your place.
Will you let me hit some balls with it, for a day or two.
Have a great weekend,
Gary

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Gary,

I would be honored to have you hit balls with every cue I own! As I have said before, I remember well when you were an absolute terror road player in the upper midwest, beating everyone that would step up. I know your game is still strong!!!

Good to hear from you.

I`m still mullin` over what we last spoke about.

Take care,

Will

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Beautiful. Reminds me so much of Eddie Kelly's Gina box cue from the late 60's.

Speak of the devil....

Final_Crop_Web_900-858x723.jpg

For more pics of this epic cue there is a flash gallery here: http://www.theactionreport.com/ibuycues.html

Just click on the picture to view the gallery.

Will, I still have a bunch of pics that I need to get up in galleries. I will get to it sometime, I promise. :D

<-----has some awesome pics of a few of Will's cues.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That Ed Kelly GINACUE is my favorite of all time. The Searing might be number two. Great collection and great taste Will!