Searing Cue

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Your friend needs financial counselling.
Dennis needs a foot shoved to his ass for his arrogance , being a horrible manager and believing it’s ok to get away with how he operates. He should win the The Great Hose award.

Financial counseling is required for paying an established business to provide the specified goods? Damn

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Far be it from me to tell my friend what is needs or does not need. BTW..."counseling" has only one "l".
Ok. I apologize for my comment. Your friend dealt in good faith and got suckered. As for my spelling I should have stayed in school. As far as being counselled my picture is under that word in the dictionary.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Btw, in the USA we spell the word as counseling, whereas the British spelling has two l’s.
There are a whole host of British spelled words with two l’s where we use one l.
WP

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
Btw, in the USA we spell the word as counseling, whereas the British spelling has two l’s.
There are a whole host of British spelled words with two l’s where we use one l.
WP
Thank you from Britain. 👍... To correct myself I simply should have said we can be too trusting instead ...not need counsel(l)ing. This is on me. I deserve to be REPORTED!

shooter_Hans

Those 1k, 2k or 5k deposits go towards being on a “waitlist” and perfectly legal but very unethical. People will not get it back. There are big companies accepting non-refundable deposits for goods.

Cue builders can work this way too and there is nothing anyone can do. If he promises and starts making cues for people there is no way to say what is an acceptable time frame. For all we know he can say his cues take 4 years to make. 10 years to make or 20 years to make.

Searing is actually very business savvy if you ask me. If he shows good intention and good faith to making a cue and it takes 20 years to make them there is nothing illegal about this.

shooter_Hans

If a cue builder doesn’t at least have a lincense for contract work then I’m sorry there is no bond or insurance to protect your damaged or lost cues. Someone did say his shop was flooded.

The next step is written letters to everyone apologizing for lost or damaged cues and a sorry.

Everyone then becomes sympathetic and the problem resolved for him. Start over with new waiting list.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a cue builder doesn’t at least have a lincense for contract work then I’m sorry there is no bond or insurance to protect your damaged or lost cues. Someone did say his shop was flooded.

The next step is written letters to everyone apologizing for lost or damaged cues and a sorry.

Everyone then becomes sympathetic and the problem resolved for him. Start over with new waiting list.
I'm sure anyone who ever gave Dennis Searing money (deposit or otherwise) will be reassured and happy with your assessment.

Even Barry and Laurie deliver when it's time.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I'm sure anyone who ever gave Dennis Searing money (deposit or otherwise) will be reassured and happy with your assessment.

Even Barry and Laurie deliver when it's time.
I mean, no they don't?

Barry had to be shamed beyond belief to deliver a cue to a guy who waited over a decade and was dying

Laurie has told people a 5 year wait and they are finally being called after 17 years, or "I don't see you on the list" ,even with email confirmation of them being added to the list, sent back to her

The cue industry is not a model for good business

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean, no they don't?

Barry had to be shamed beyond belief to deliver a cue to a guy who waited over a decade and was dying

Laurie has told people a 5 year wait and they are finally being called after 17 years, or "I don't see you on the list" ,even with email confirmation of them being added to the list, sent back to her

Understood...but what I'm driving at is that the cue(s) eventually get to their owner/buyer. One other thing, Barry and Laurie do not take money up front. They know that if you don't come up with the money someone else will immediately. Whereas Dennis requires a down payment, or some folks (not knowing Dennis) pay the full amount up front thinking this will prompt him to deliver early when the opposite is true or never in the case of my friend.

shooter_Hans

I mean, no they don't?

So if they don’t take money upfront and people are still shaming them? I think as an owner of any business they can refuse service.

No need to shame a cue builder if things have changed and they no longer want to make someone a cue. I actually don’t think they should be criticized for not wanting to make someone a cue.

Heck I emailed them a decade ago about wanting a cue and they used my email to put on their “waiting list” and I have longed moved on. I’ve come across a local who had one and I played with it. They play like what I assume a baseball bat would play like big felt like a baseball bat. Big 13mm shaft and big butt.

I’m not on the side of Searing but I’ve seen people criticize him just as much as those that actually lost money or added their cues to Dennis’ beautiful personal cue collection, for not making them a cue. He doesn’t owe anyone a cue.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
WP
they also spell it baulkline, when we and other europeans spell it balkline
color for us colour for them

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was curious what the update was on this matter and if the OP has gotten his cue back yet? Love Searings and how they play and was glad to see Dennis take a step to get the issue resolved. Hope all issues for OP and others are resolved eventually.

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
I’m glad to see Dennis respond and I hope he is sincere. Dennis did reach out to me and told me my cue would be done next week. Im definitely looking forward to that. I hope for myself and Dennis this happens! That is in no way a threat! I hope for his business/ reputation it happens for me and everyone that has reached out to me. I have heard from others that Dennis is a very hard worker and just can’t say no to anyone! Dennis builds one of the best playing cues I’ve ever played with and I just want my cue back! I’ve never had a problem with him personally, just frustrated with his business actions.

So, have you gotten your cue back yet?

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Thank you from Britain. 👍... To correct myself I simply should have said we can be too trusting instead ...not need counsel(l)ing. This is on me. I deserve to be REPORTED!
Hi GoldCrown,
I never knew you’re from Britain, even after all the times we’ve interacted.
I used to travel through Heathrow and Gatwick so frequently that several of the people that worked in shops or food areas would yell out, “Hey, Will!”.
Will Prout

GoldCrown

Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi GoldCrown,
I never knew you’re from Britain, even after all the times we’ve interacted.
I used to travel through Heathrow and Gatwick so frequently that several of the people that worked in shops or food areas would yell out, “Hey, Will!”.
Will Prout
HI.... My reply had a different meaning.. not from Britain...

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I sent Dennis a non Searing cue of mine several years ago to have him build a custom matching shaft and it went extremely smooth and I had it back in about 3-4 weeks if I recall. I had no prior relationship w him or anyone refer me and it was a great experience, he did like to talk cues, it had to of been a 2-3 hour conversation, I did not mind at all. I had heard all this hoopla about how great his cues were so I purchased a used shaft that fit my cue and it was like “infinity“ shaft, crazy how great it felt. This led me to contact him and hence ask him to build the custom shaft mated to my cue. When I got it back the new shaft was nice, and had the desired inlayed “S” but it couldn't hold a candle to the used one I already had. I’m curious who has that shaft now, it was traded to Dean and he used it on one of his Schon cues among every other Type of shaft he could acquire and ended up selling it. I wouldn’t mind getting it back to see how it’s aged. Shooter08

Last edited: