Segen Shaft

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I really like the hit of Segen cues but replacement shafts are nowhere to be found. Is anyone willing to try and make one if I sent the cue in to them and if so PM any pricing details. Thx, Shooter08

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the hit of Segen cues but replacement shafts are nowhere to be found. Is anyone willing to try and make one if I sent the cue in to them and if so PM any pricing details. Thx, Shooter08
Just curious but shouldn't you add that your existing shaft that you like weighs 4.35oz?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wanted to find out if anyone would consider first, before I started getting excited and planning. Thx
Hope this helps you.
With the popularity of c/f shafts. Adding weight to wood shafts is becoming popular. But a heavier unweighted shaft is still the first option!

Attachments

• IMG_190523_132007.jpg
    IMG_190523_132007.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 42

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr. Webb, I love cues and try to learn as much as I can absorb. from My experience it seems Carbon Fiber shafts seem to weigh less than Good Maple Shafts. I know the maple of old is no longer prevalent but why would builders be weighting maple shafts when the trend is to carbon fiber that weighs less?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Webb, I love cues and try to learn as much as I can absorb. from My experience it seems Carbon Fiber shafts seem to weigh less than Good Maple Shafts. I know the maple of old is no longer prevalent but why would builders be weighting maple shafts when the trend is to carbon fiber that weighs less?
Honest answer
Because some people want a heavier shaft, part of that forward balance thing.
Another is,
More Cues without brass inserts and makers are trying to stick to that 4 oz mark set years ago for balancing weights of the Cues.
Now more than ever,
People are more aware of shaft weights across the board.
Paying top dollar for Maple dowels doesn't mean the weights are all the same. They're all over the place.
Jmo

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
In my experience, people want the 4oz. Weight because to them that was the benchmark set years ago. I had a lot more typed up but I’ll just stick with that…

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my experience, people want the 4oz. Weight because to them that was the benchmark set years ago. I had a lot more typed up but I’ll just stick with that…
I agree with the 4 oz. Reference point.
But it's a reference point only.
Imagine 17 oz butts with 2 oz shafts.
YUCK!

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the 90's, some of us would pay a couple of bucks extra per dowel to the Michigan wood suppliers for premium shaft wood.
Doesn't happen to much anymore. Those suppliers are gone.
Even today, some Companies use brass inserts for 3/8x10. It's for weight!
Mcdermott has used them.
The Ghost joint by Uni loc has a very heavy brass insert.
There's more than people know about.

Attachments

• IMG_20231005_032444.jpg
    IMG_20231005_032444.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_160922_060153.jpg
    IMG_160922_060153.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_221121_031616.jpg
    IMG_221121_031616.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: