shaft sources

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For years I ordered shafts from Quality Cut Wood, very high quality shafts. Strangely I have been unable to contact them for nearly a year so I was forced to try shafts from other sources. I can say the definition of an AAA quality shafts varies considerably. I got 20 shafts from one mill and they were B's as best, too much runout and mineral for my taste -- only 12 were suitable. However, this latest batch of 50 from our "favorite" deep-south supplier (yes, Him) takes the proverbial cake. Advertised as AAA grade, very white, no runout, no mineral (though I did not opt for the hand-picked ultra-select stuff but took the "as-they-run" deal I still expected 50 usable blanks.) Well, they are white -- but 10 of the fifty are so warped you can't find a center, 18 have runout that renders them a B at best, the rest are OK but none are what QCW would have called AAA. Those of you who have dealt with Him know griping only leads to attacks on your character, so I'll let it lie. I need a shaft supplier who understands what AAA should mean. Any suggestions?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is frustrating, to not be able to have straight shafts.

Must be brutal to find the crap rate in bulk, damn.

Carbon, sorry to say.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I build carbon, too, but it is definitely an acquired taste for some, plus, I have quite a few orders for shafts alone.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I build carbon, too, but it is definitely an acquired taste for some, plus, I have quite a few orders for shafts alone.
I'm a fan of wood shafts at this point and while not directly impacted by the lump of firewood you've come to possess...

That's f'd up.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
For years I ordered shafts from Quality Cut Wood, very high quality shafts. Strangely I have been unable to contact them for nearly a year so I was forced to try shafts from other sources. I can say the definition of an AAA quality shafts varies considerably. I got 20 shafts from one mill and they were B's as best, too much runout and mineral for my taste -- only 12 were suitable. However, this latest batch of 50 from our "favorite" deep-south supplier (yes, Him) takes the proverbial cake. Advertised as AAA grade, very white, no runout, no mineral (though I did not opt for the hand-picked ultra-select stuff but took the "as-they-run" deal I still expected 50 usable blanks.) Well, they are white -- but 10 of the fifty are so warped you can't find a center, 18 have runout that renders them a B at best, the rest are OK but none are what QCW would have called AAA. Those of you who have dealt with Him know griping only leads to attacks on your character, so I'll let it lie. I need a shaft supplier who understands what AAA should mean. Any suggestions?
Chris Hightower sells shafts that I've had good success with. He sells them at various levels of turning, depending on whether you want to start with squares or ready for finish sand, or anywhere in between. I'd give him a shot.

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I'm sorry to hear that. But it sounds like all my Kilby cues from a few years back just went up in value!

And to think my wife doubted my investment decision-making at the time ...

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I'm sorry to hear that. But it sounds like all my Kilby cues from a few years back just went up in value!

And to think my wife doubted my investment decision-making at the time ...
Well, I've got shaft inventory for perhaps 60 cues, so I'm OK for this year, I'm sure.

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know what Jamison Neu did with all of Dieckman cue shafts, but I quessed you could touch base with him and ask!!!