Shafts in case, tips up or down?

Does the tip go up or down in a case?

• Total voters

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I joined the /billiards Reddit not too long ago, and someone recently asked there if the tips should go down or up in a case. There were, to me, a surprising number of "tip down" replies and I was wondering if it's due to the posters there being younger and not very experienced players vs those that post on AZB or just that I have been blind and not paying attention. I have never in my memory have seen a player put the shaft away tip up. Not even counting the fact of joint protectors being on there, even without jp I have never seen a shaft sticking up tip exposed.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Down so I can grab 'em by the caps.
IMG_6670.png

Why do you think tip down is a problem?

TrxR

The only advantage to tip up would be keeping the case interior cleaner maybe. I have a couple of my least used shafts tip up in my JB 4x8 but that's just to give me more room to grab my more used shafts.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have met people who insist that the shafts go in tip up and that was in a Fellini case. Consequently, there was a lot of disagreement about whether the butt went in pin up or pin down. There was so much heat going on about that, on the old rec.sport.billiard newsgroup that I called the guy who made them and asked him. He said he designed his cased to go butt with pin up and shafts tip down. He admitted that a lot of people disagreed with him but he said if you kept putting the pin down it would eventually go through the bottom of the case. In any kind of case I've owned I've always put the shafts in tip down. Sorry to stray a bit but the topic brought all that back.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall some cases had conical tubes so you had little choice which way. Mine are cut cylindrical through surfboard foam. They do the job and might even insulate a bit. :D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I joined the /billiards Reddit not too long ago, and someone recently asked there if the tips should go down or up in a case. There were, to me, a surprising number of "tip down" replies and I was wondering if it's due to the posters there being younger and not very experienced players vs those that post on AZB or just that I have been blind and not paying attention. I have never in my memory have seen a player put the shaft away tip up. Not even counting the fact of joint protectors being on there, even without jp I have never seen a shaft sticking up tip exposed.
Depends on the case.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In our JB cases,tips up for us unless I have a shaft without a joint protector, then tip down.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Down so I can grab 'em by the caps.

I put a Kamui tip cover on all of mine and put them in the case tip first. The tip cover prevents the chalk on the tip from lining the inside of my case sleeves and transferring chalk to the shaft. Also, putting them in that way lets me see the JPs which helps me identify which shaft is which.

When I replace tips for other folks, I always include one of these covers. Nearly every person asks for more of them.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I put a Kamui tip cover on all of mine and put them in the case tip first. The tip cover prevents the chalk on the tip from lining the inside of my case sleeves and transferring chalk to the shaft. Also, putting them in that way lets me see the JPs which helps me identify which shaft is which.

When I replace tips for other folks, I always include one of these covers. Nearly every person asks for more of them.
Ever wonder how you went through life never hearing of something? I literally just checked to see if those were real to make sure it wasn’t some joke I was falling for. I’ll be switching to tip down as soon as that gets delivered now.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
FWIW, Ace Hardware sells these for 33 cents each.
Well that’s probably the easiest money I’ll save all month. Thank you. I knew the habit I have of going through every possible thing on every website since I’m making a purchase anyway would pay off someday. It took me 4 hours to buy the black spotted Aramith cue ball a couple months ago lol.

23DenaliBDE

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Wow, we need to buy tip covers now? I'm way behind, I still don't even use JPs. LOL
I haven’t bought JP either yet, but it’s simply because I’m cheap and they aren’t “fun”. Also My player was only 500ish. So I do pin up on butt and had been doing tip up because between flat face of joint and tip, my assumption was tip obviously would be likely (in my mind, expected) to be damaged. I’m obviously wrong but I’ll be getting tip protectors now and flip em over. Cheaper than JP lol

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well that’s probably the easiest money I’ll save all month. Thank you. I knew the habit I have of going through every possible thing on every website since I’m making a purchase anyway would pay off someday. It took me 4 hours to buy the black spotted Aramith cue ball a couple months ago lol.
I assume the Ace Hardware one are normal cylinder thread protectors. I like them. Somebody was selling this version, which has a nice shape for putting your fingers for pulling.

Attachments

• IMG_2567.jpeg
    IMG_2567.jpeg
    654.1 KB · Views: 58