Shane Van Boening Aiming System

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this seems redundant, as I've read this thread, but can someone concisely describe the system again?

From what I gather it's pretty much "always" the left side of the ferrule, the right side of the ferrule or center tip.....aimed at the outside edge of the OB.....? As in if I'm cutting to the right, I line up one of those 3 tip spots to the left edge of the OB? If I'm cutting to the left, I aim one of those 3 spots to the right edge of the OB?

It seems to me that if that's what it is for all shots, then a player could systematically line up those 3 different spots and tell which one "feels" correct.....after a certain amount of trial and error. Almost seems too easy.

I just want to get this clearly in my head.

No, all shots begin with the proper shot line alignment. I use the center line (vertical) of cue ball (and center of shaft) to edge of object ball (depending on the cut angle). This keeps me focused on the proper side of the object ball.

Keep in mind that the mass of the cue ball is approximately the size of a quarter(1"). The cue shaft is approximately 1/2" in diamenter. There is reall no need to go outside of 1/2" off the center line of the cue ball.

Off of the cue ball center line you either line up the right or left side of the ferral with the conact point on the object ball depending on the direction of cut and where you want the cue ball to travel to.

What I do is to ignore the cue ball (shooting thru it like its not there) at the object ball. You will have to pay close attention to eye dominence. Is your right eye seeing the contact point or is your left eye seeing the contact point on the object ball. This is very important.

Its best to stand back away from the table to see where the contact point on the object ball really is, it will pop out at you.

On really thin cuts I use ferral widths thru the cue ball.

It will come to you, practice, pracrice, practice.

On second thought maybe the best way to learn what I am describing is to not use the cue ball at all. Get into your stance maybe 3 or 4 feet away from an object ball. Shoot at the OB with the tip of the cue (where you think the contact point is) do this for all 15 balls. Now put the cue ball on the table and repeat the same exersize. (my spill chicker isnt wrkin)

Hope this helps

John

Last edited:

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My biggest concern is that SVB stated..."I don't use the ghost ball system......I don't know what that is."

Are you kidding me! Anyone who knows anything about pool knows about the ghost ball system.

The fact that he intentionally leads the interviewer to believe he is unaware of the ghost ball approach would suggest he probably also intentionally misled the interviewer on the system he really uses.

I don't blame him for making the comment, I think he was trying to be kind and didn't want to tell the interviewer it was none of his business how he aimed the shot.

You can't blame SVB for wanting to keep his secrets. I think it would be foolish to think the answer he gave the interviewer was actually how SVB aims the shot.

SVB, just like all of the Greats, learned this game at a young age...For him, his family pedigree, probably even younger than any of them. So, if he learned an aiming system at 10yrs or younger, it's probable that he wouldn't even remember being taught...but maybe he refined it later. As for secrets, I'm afraid that the ship has sailed for secrets...If you have the will and savy, you can find all of the secrets on this forum...the only problem you may have, is trying to filter the real from the BS. There is more incorrect info here than correct. Aiming systems may not be for you, they are not for everyone...but they are real. Many have been proven by physicists. This one, I believe, would be of the Parallel lines taste.