Shaw's last Mosconi Cup?

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will he (and other Brits) still be eligible to play for Europe after Brexit?

Pfnatic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Actually it doesn't make any sense that these players are living in the United States but playing for Team Europe. The sense of loyalty should be for the country which is providing you all the opportunities, not the country where you were born and which you now choose to leave.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually it doesn't make any sense that these players are living in the United States but playing for Team Europe. The sense of loyalty should be for the country which is providing you all the opportunities, not the country where you were born and which you now choose to leave.

Matchroom stated the rules on here I think a few weeks back.

In theory a player could change sides, but would have to qualify in line with (roughly speaking) the same rules applied to Olympic athletes changing sides.

In reality for a pool player it would be impossible as they would have to stop playing for 5 years or something, so it will never happen (in other sports its slightly different as you have the concept of competing for your club or your country, in pool although always playing for yourself you are listed as representing your country).

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok by me....

I like knowing where their loyalties are. Right now some are loyal to the American economy, but their true heart is European. They are not Americans, they just visit here and cash in on their stay.

Go USA !!!

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like knowing where their loyalties are. Right now some are loyal to the American economy, but their true heart is European. They are not Americans, they just visit here and cash in on their stay.

Go USA !!!

They're no different to a US ex-pat living in Asia, Europe etc, they would still be Americans, they just happen to work abroad for a few months/years!

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

lol theres excactly one player on team europe who lives in the US! do you think the result would be different when albin or francisco-ruiz would play instead of jayson?
and btw how would you like a team US with SVB, daz, mika, jayson and vilmos?
or would you like to watch the ryder cup with 5 euros on team USA?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So should all those USA track gold medals and world records go to European countries because the athletes ply their trade and earn their crust in Europe? Methinks not. Likewise, a pool player will be loyal to the country that he or she is, er, loyal to. There are different kinds of loyalties of course. Darren Appleton is giving back big time to pool in the USA, a country he resides in much of the time where he has taken many an opportunity. Would he play for them? Nah, never, that's a completely different kind of loyalty. Don't make the mistake of thinking being loyal to A is being disloyal to B.

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom stated the rules on here I think a few weeks back.

In theory a player could change sides, but would have to qualify in line with (roughly speaking) the same rules applied to Olympic athletes changing sides.

In reality for a pool player it would be impossible as they would have to stop playing for 5 years or something, so it will never happen (in other sports its slightly different as you have the concept of competing for your club or your country, in pool although always playing for yourself you are listed as representing your country).

That was me, my original question was can a cup player opt to play for the U.S.in stead of EU, match room responded with no, they would have to be a U.S. citizen and would not be allowed to Qualify for either team for 3 years.

Even tho some Euro players on the cup reside in the States, they also said something about it falling inline with Olympic rules, but why would they impose that since match room has nothing to do with Olympics ?

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was me, my original question was can a cup player opt to play for the U.S.in stead of EU, match room responded with no, they would have to be a U.S. citizen and would not be allowed to Qualify for either team for 3 years.

Even tho some Euro players on the cup reside in the States, they also said something about it falling inline with Olympic rules, but why would they impose that since match room has nothing to do with Olympics ?

Maybe because pool is trying to be an Olympic sport.

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Go USA !!!

Pro players will endorse any cue and even make believe they play with that brand, much like a hooker endorsing a name brand mattress.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe because pool is trying to be an Olympic sport.

Partly that and because Matchroom has always taken governance quite seriously (note Barry Hearn never signed Alex Higgins in the heydays of snooker), by adopting Olympic style guidelines it shows a professional approach to the game (which of course in no way hurts its chances of one day becoming an olympic sport, however small those chances may be).

LWD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Little Wrinkle

Yes of course Britain will remain part of Europe. But notice that the European team does not play under the flag of Europe, there being no such thing. They play under the flag of the European Union. It is theoretically possible that the EU could demand that no Brit play under their flag after Brexit. Of course, the European team could always adopt some non-official logo as their flag. But the EU has rules (including sports rules) that they might theoretically use to prevent EU member countries from allowing their athletes to compete in the Cup if Brits were on the team, and if anybody cared enough.

capullo

Registered

i think the effort will be a bit to high to cut the UK from the european continental plate *rofl*
but this will be a consequently brexit

best regards from germany

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The real question is can Russia and it's players play for both Europe and Asia?
Most of the country is in Asia. ;)

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes of course Britain will remain part of Europe. But notice that the European team does not play under the flag of Europe, there being no such thing. They play under the flag of the European Union. It is theoretically possible that the EU could demand that no Brit play under their flag after Brexit. Of course, the European team could always adopt some non-official logo as their flag. But the EU has rules (including sports rules) that they might theoretically use to prevent EU member countries from allowing their athletes to compete in the Cup if Brits were on the team, and if anybody cared enough.

I do not believe they Play officially under any flag. They (Matchroom) have just Chosen the flag of EU to be the easily recognizable Symbol for the Team. There has been non EU Players in the Team already before...Russian for example....
therefore neither British gov't nor any EU entity has any power to prevent anyone from playing....they are invited to a Team and not official representatives of their respective countries...

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not believe they Play officially under any flag. They (Matchroom) have just Chosen the flag of EU to be the easily recognizable Symbol for the Team. There has been non EU Players in the Team already before...Russian for example....
therefore neither British gov't nor any EU entity has any power to prevent anyone from playing....they are invited to a Team and not official representatives of their respective countries...

Has a Russian player played in the Mosconi Cup yet for Europe?
Chinakhov I thought would be in the running for sure.