Should I switch to low deflection shaft?

formidableone14

Changing the stars
Silver Member
So I made a post about looking to jump into a new cue, and in doing so I have also found TONS of info on LDS. I have ALWAYS played with a reg maple shaft and do so well imo. Now the question is, should I go ahead and pick up a new LDS when getting my cue or stick with the conventional shafts? Ive read that adjusting to these shafts can be a little time consuming, but I am a fast learner and rlly dont see myself needing a lot of time to make that adjustment. Are they rlly worth it? Will help my game since I can control the cue ball relatively well as of right now? Thanks in advance and I apologize for beating a dead horse as Im sure lots have asked the same thing.

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with regular shafts for 52 years(no jokes now) and I have no interest in learning how to aim all over again. Anyway they are just too expensive.

Banks

Banned
Play with what you feel comfortable with.

For a little while, I enjoyed it.

Now I play better with something worth what it had cost to replace the ferrule once on the Z.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I'm not a fan of LD shafts. Squirt characteristics of maple shafts vary from cuemaker to cuemaker and shaft to shaft. I like a 12mm tip and a stiff taper. My advice, try several types of shafts, tips, ferrules and tapers till you find what you like.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ok ll be willing to take the heat
the year is almost 2013
technology has advanced to where with a lds you can aim closer to where you would with a center ball hit
whats wrong with that???
you old timers that love your maple regular shaft
are just old dogs who dont want to learn new tricks
not saying you cant beat up on us modern tech guys...:wink:
but if starting from new
why have to bother to deal with more deflection instead of less
just my opinion
your opinion is important to me
:grin-square:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Z2 about 6 months ago. I wasn't able to do anything I couldn't already do with my standard shaft. I didn't start running rack after rack, and I wasn't ready to go snap off any major tournaments. However, I absolutely love the feel and the hit of the shaft in comparison to any others I've tried, but that's really just personal preference as others have mentioned.

I would recommend trying different ones out if you can. It would really suck to spend $200 or more, and then hate it.

A LD shaft will not make you play better. At the very best, it might make aiming a little easier, but that's about it.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched to a Predator shaft 10 years ago and liked it so much I bought a predator break cue and then a predator 5k4 playing cue and would never go back to a regular shaft. I would like to try a OB shaft to see how they hit.

EasyEJL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in the end, you will get as many meaningful answers to this as to

"Should I get a soft, medium or hard tip"
or
"Should I go for an 18oz cue or a 20oz cue"
or
"How wide of a tip should I be looking for"

in that people have preferences, different things shoot differently, and there is no way anyone else can tell what is going to be best or even worthwhile for you to try.

If spending the $100-250 on the new LD shaft isn't a big deal, then do so. Is it going to make a "huge" difference? no. but considering the hundreds to thousands of games the shaft will go through, its not really a huge investment. See if you can find a used one first in the right pin for your butt, that can get you down to near $100. Or if someone you know has one, ask to borrow it for a few shots. Set up some drill shots that you'd use English on, and shoot them back and forth - one shot with your current cue, one shot with the LD. You can definitely see a difference, whether its a big deal or not is up to you.

formidableone14

Changing the stars
Silver Member
I think Ill call OB tomorrow, I live about 10 minutes from them, see if they will allow me to come over and check out their shafts and if they would be able to accommodate me shooting around for a bit. The next closest place to check out cues is billiards factory and their supply is LIMITED here. Already went there Fri last week and all they had were predators....they dont allow you to chalk them up (even though they are test shafts) so rlly cant get much feel for the shafts in a real shot scenario.

Banks

Banned
the year is almost 2013
technology has advanced to where with a lds you can aim closer to where you would with a center ball hit
whats wrong with that???
are just old dogs who dont want to learn new tricks
but if starting from new
just my opinion

I find the bar cue more forgiving, for one. It also has a better feel to it as far as hit. Lastly, I can jump with it. The Z had its time with me, but I've confronted my demons and have settled with a cut bar cue, crappy ferrule and all.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
314 1st Gen LD

Look for a used 314 1st Generation predator shaft, has the hit of a maple shaft. The current 314-2 shafts (2nd Gen) have a dead, hollow, flat, sh!tty feel to them.
1st gen 314 is Not quite as low of deflection as a Z shaft,...or 2nd gen 314, but will need less adjustment time, is 12.75...which feels like maple, and he hit won't piss you off like most LD shafts will. Believe me, you'll like it. I have one on every cue I own. That's the other plus side...you can buy a new cue, later on and screw the 314 on the end and you're in business! No re-learning. Love that part.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I made the switch a while ago and I'm glad I did.

I believe the only real difference is it changes where you have to aim when making heavy spin shots. It doesn't help you make balls or improve your cueball control or give you the ability to play super spin shots you normally can't.

If you understand all that and still feel you want one, then go for it. If you really hate it, you can go probably sell a barely-used predator or OB shaft for 50-75% of what you paid for it.

Everyone has their reasons, but to me, regular shafts ALWAYS felt unnatural on certain shots, like a long rail cut that you hit with firm inside spin. You have to compensate for deflection so much that in some cases, you're literally aiming to hit the wrong side of the object ball (like you're aiming to cut left even though you want it to go right).

That just looks so weird to my eyes... whereas with an LD shaft the shot looks more 'normal', closer to the way I'd aim with no sidespin.

It's made me much more fearless about heavy spin shots, and I feel less nervous about missing because I never have to aim way off from my normal shot line.

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing with a maple shaft for 15 years, and just last week I finally bought a low-deflection shaft. Here's why:

In a typical set of 9-ball, I'll have 2-3 shots where I have to use a lot of English. A LOT of English. I realized that I'm basically guessing when I aim those shots, and I'm missing a large number of them. I started to think about the shots I missed, and the games I lost as a result of those misses, and the sets I lost as a result of those games, and decided that any tool that can help me here is worth a try.

When you get to a level where one miss can cost you a game, or two, or three, even a slight edge can make a big difference.

I hope the LD shaft helps. If not, I'll go back to maple.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
When you get to a level where one miss can cost you a game, or two, or three, even a slight edge can make a big difference.

I hope the LD shaft helps. If not, I'll go back to maple.

One might also say that when you play against players that can consistently run out, no matter your level, one miss can cost you a game or two or a set :)

pooljunkie4ever

Grab Life by the BALL!
Silver Member
Do it

Spoke with Hillbilly about this last week. In his word " they are the nuts". I have a OB shaft ordered that I will get this week. I can't wait. CHarlie told me that he would swap shafts on different shot till he totally eliminated his maple shaft. IMO take a look at all the pros using this type of shafts, there is your answer.
Get an OB shaft You won't regret it.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the year is almost 2013
whats wrong with that???
are just old dogs who dont want to learn new trick
s
but if starting from new
just my opinion

After all these years you are right,I don't want to learn new tricks.
Starting from new, you are right again.
Good post. :thumbup:

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I made a post about looking to jump into a new cue, and in doing so I have also found TONS of info on LDS. I have ALWAYS played with a reg maple shaft and do so well imo. Now the question is, should I go ahead and pick up a new LDS when getting my cue or stick with the conventional shafts? Ive read that adjusting to these shafts can be a little time consuming, but I am a fast learner and rlly dont see myself needing a lot of time to make that adjustment. Are they rlly worth it? Will help my game since I can control the cue ball relatively well as of right now? Thanks in advance and I apologize for beating a dead horse as Im sure lots have asked the same thing.

About a year ago I was looking to get an ld shaft and read all I could on them. I was convinced that they would help some and ignored the posts about why they wouldn't help that much. Now after playing with one for almost a year, I would say that at this point I don't think they are worth the cost. I feel mine has made very little change in my abilities, and I really don't feel that it has allowed for that much less squirt, and no more cb action. I do really like the smaller tip from an aiming and comfort standpoint, but otherwise I am much less impressed than I thought I would be.