Showing off my Gandy Big G LTD

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sadly sold my vintage Valley coin pool table. I replaced it with a 9' Pro Gandy Big G Limited. I miss my Valley, but I love the new table!

I took these pics with my phone as I was setting it up last week. She's in a shop temporarily till I move back to Seattle, where it'll be setup in a pool room.

Bulk of the parts before putting her together. Excited to get started.

Legs and frame up.

Slate in! Wow that's mad heavy... Not doable for one person!

I got some used Navy Championship cloth for now. Will go GREEN once I have the money for Simonis 860HR.

Rails on! Kinda looks cool with the green and navy actually.

Pockets and castings in and couldn't wait to try a break!

I've got the aprons all on now but I am not satisfied with the cloth installation. (first time I've recovered a table myself) It needs new cushion rubber. The current ones are completely dead. I want to go Artemis K66 and a little thicker facings.

It's missing the ball return tracks and box and I will replace those from Classic Billiards when I have the funds to do so.

It's also missing the three metal posts for the ball self. Haven't had any luck on those.

Other than that, it's in fantastic shape and is a very nice table!

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a really nice table and thanks for posting. We have two Gandy Big G's in our community rec room. Both were recovered with Simonis Green and new rubber installed by Donny of SD Billiards. He did a great job and the tables play very well. Just kick back and enjoy.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'm a sucker for these, I grew up on them. They play pretty easy but that's how I like it. They're also pretty stable.
I love black polished rails over that fake wood junk you see on other tables. Black and chrome won't ever go out of style.

Visually the navy + green really does look stylish.
Playing wise, I'm not so sure, dark cloth hides the shadows of the balls. On the other hand the light
and colorful balls stand out much better and you might be able to see the edges more clearly.
If the rails were dark too, the black distant corners might blur together too much with the dark rails and bed.
But with green rails, you should be able to tell pocket apart from rail easily.

You tell us... how's it play? Dark cloth seem tougher than green cloth at all?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Looks good, nice table!! I have never had the chance to play on a Gandy yet, I would like to try one someday.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Those green rails are pretty distracting. I'm taking my eyes off the shot from here!

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Memories

Boy looking at your table really brings back some great memories for me. I thought I was the only one to ever have had a limited, I loved mine as I am sure you will love yours, good luck with it.

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, the colors do look stylish. But that's what I had. I am going Simonis green 860HR when I can afford it. I know blue is popular and supposedly helps relieve fatigue, but I'm a fan of green. It's supposed to simulate grass originally and if I'm doing an Irish pub themed room eventually, it's gotta be green, right? ;)

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
congrats on a change! That's a good looking table.

(see I finally found the thread you were telling me about :eek:)

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iphone2 132.jpgNot o a good pic but I just sold one and set it up for a friend of mine.Plays great!

blucollar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned to play on a Big G and I still love em...my local pool hall growing up had ten of the old white ones and one antique Brunswick that was reserved for regulars and I still chose the Gandy every time. Great tables IMO. They can take a beating that's for sure...Thanx all for posting pics...brings back great memories.

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New cushions and cloth. Made new support posts for the ball shelf and aluminum trim. Added a Gandy Big G ball return box and will put in a ball return system soon. Table plays MUCH better.

bflgvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one for years. When I left MA, I was working on a CO2 recovery plant in Bellingham, the owner of a room couldn't (or wouldn't) repay a loan I made to him. He gave me a Big G as a partial payment. It came with me from MA to CA via North American. After a couple of years I finally got a house for it, literally.

Anyhow, I had it setup in the bonus room above the garage. A few months after that I had it upgraded with Simonis 860 and new cushions. The pockets were modified to 4.5inches. It played really tough. I really liked the table and the way it played. It was a pristine looking Big G. The draw back was that in storeage it developed a bad slate. The mechanic was able to overcome that by the way he installed the cloth. That fix held up until I sold it prior to movng up here to WA.

It was no Diamond but it played pretty darned good. Too bad this house can't support a table. But that's a different story.

ADAM HENSON

---🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟--
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing, I haven't played on one of those in years!

blackflagsailor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What size corner pockets are those? They look massive.
Don't forget to get your pocket measurements into Dr. DAVE and register your tables TDF on the official list.

Link:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=324408

Good question. I'm not sure on the pocket size. They have always bugged me. I tried closing them a bit when I recovered it but I'm still not satisfied. The angles are really awkward too. Especially the corners.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Those ball return boxes always annoyed me - stick out too far and get in the way of my stance. I guess they don't bother you...?

pj
chgo