Sickest shot ever?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If this was lucky then Efren isn't the goat everyone thinks he is
It's lucky in the sense that he's not going to bet even money on the shot. Probably not even 10:1. He had a chance to hit the ball and he did. It happened to go in. I don't see why he didn't play the swerve shot, as he could have gotten to the same approach angle to the 8 ball. I'd bet on my swerve against his two-rail kick.

Efren's Z shot is in the same category. I'll give Efren 20:1 on the money if he wants to shoot it. He had a good chance to hit the ball and he did. It happened to go in.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He’s a 200 ball runner. Monster player.

evgeny also helped finance fedor's trip to the US before the war iirc. good guy.

i've seen this shot on a GC, in a local shortstop money match, so it's definitely possible on american pool tables. but it feels it would be easier on a chinese table? (not factoring in that the 8 is more likely to hang)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It's lucky in the sense that he's not going to bet even money on the shot. Probably not even 10:1. He had a chance to hit the ball and he did. It happened to go in.
While I don't subscribe to the notion of luck. I do completely understand where you're coming from. My point is, the Efren shot most cited as his greatest display of awesome-ness was/is the famous "Z shot". Not because he hit the ball, but because he slopped it in. This version is infinitely harder to hit, but almost a forgone conclusion to pot if he does hit it clean.

No one dares call Efren's Z kick lucky. Even though he roughly eyeballs it and swings away. This guy takes his time, calculates his shot and hit it in the correct fashion to get it near the OB. ...but he's lucky

Something seems a little bias
I don't see why he didn't play the swerve shot, as he could have gotten to the same approach angle to the 8 ball. I'd bet on my swerve against his two-rail kick.
Well I watched it again, and the swerve may have been easier but the required pace would have definitely made a mess of that corner. I think the reasoning here is that he's better off under hitting the 2 railer or clipping the top of the 8 and retaining control of that corner. ..vs.. Punching the swerve, potentially clipping the solid and fouling the 8 into the corner. Not that the carom off the solid into the 8 wasn't on with the 2 railer, but his speed is definitely in an effort to avoid potting the 8 if that occurred.

My guess.... He was playing what he determined would be the least likely shot to disturb that corner, and was planning on playing it with merely enough pace to contact the 8. I'm almost willing to bet he had a little fear in him when he saw the pace off the second rail...lol. Even with BIH, Darren had zero opportunity to clear out that corner safely. The shooter (whomever he is) was in control of that rack, even though while snookered.
Efren's Z shot is in the same category. I'll give Efren 20:1 on the money if he wants to shoot it. He had a good chance to hit the ball and he did. It happened to go in.
100%... Only someone that hated their money would have bet against Efren to contact the OB. The odds of him dropping it...?..., I've got money against that every time.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
i've seen this shot on a GC, in a local shortstop money match, so it's definitely possible on american pool tables. but it feels it would be easier on a chinese table? (not factoring in that the 8 is more likely to hang)
I've been known to swing at a variation of this and based on my time on both snooker and "american" cut pockets. IMO it is infinitely easier on the snooker.

On the american you need to consider point compression based on pace to determine rebound. Way harder....

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This shot is nowhere near a 10,000 to 1 or even a 100 to 1 shot. More like 10-1 as @Bob Jewett noted.

Still very impressive to play and pull it off in that situation. The traffic on the table makes it more impressive.

I have made it multiple occasions on League, shooting fun in a bar and even gambling.

A good player told me to work on weird (stuff) when I was bored or having a rough practice day because it would keep me on the table at least. This is one of the shots I worked on.

I developed a system. I think almost any player in this thread, once they try it a few times to get familiar with it will hit it within 10 shots.

One time I was gambling at Kobly's Corner Pocket in Tempe and I was on the hill. My opponent rolled up on the 9-ball and didn't have a shot so he corner hooked me with the 9-ball on the same end rail about a diamond out of the pocket a few inches off the rail.

I played this shot and made the 9-ball. He was very upset. He bet me double or nothing that I couldn't do it again if he gave me 100 tries. I made it again on the third try.

And that was on a pool table with sharp points. This is a Chineses 8-ball table with smooth points. I think that would make this shot easier but not sure.

The key is 'fine' aiming and it varies by table.

If the table has 'firm' rails and is well-aligned, if you put the CB on a line from the point to the corner pocket and shoot CCB to the point, it should come roughly straight back at the corner pocket. It won't, but that's how you measure the variation. If you shoot this shot a few times and it always hits the first diamond on the long rail then you know something.

To aim this shot, I imagine the top of my cue as a clock face with 12 on the top center. Then, in the picture of the shot, I put the 1 on the point. Then the 2. Then the 3. Then the 10, 11, 12.

Then I move the CB farther from the point-corner pocket line and shoot the same 3 references.

That will give you a good idea of how much off of center you can hit the point and what the CB will do - for that particular table.

There are three general paths you want to remember. The one to bring the CB straight back at the pocket. The one to hit around the 2nd diamond that will send the CB to the opposite corner - and the one around the first diamond where the CB will come off the end rail around the 2nd diamond for a 2-rail hit on a ball off the rail by the corner. And the one that sends the CB across to the opposite side pocket.

Surprisingly, most well put together tables will be pretty consistent.

I wish I had time to do some diagrams today but I do not.

There is another phenomenon here that helps. The further off-center you hit the point, the more English is applied to the CB. So even though it will come straighter across the table, it will have more spin and spin towards the corner pocket. Closer to center, less spin. So, in addition to having a larger target area with the ball in the pocket, you also have some other physical effects that help enlarge the margin for error.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
imo there was Mellings 8b runout featuring 3 monster level shots, Corey had that shot that was named I forget what they called it but it was a helluva stroke shot, he also had a jump shot during a MC where the cue ball went up on a short rail then fell back into play and finally, I loved the shot outdoors at an airport in Spain where Efren was spectating and one of the players, maybe Alcaide, got hooked bad and imprompto they handed the stick to Efren and with his carryon bag still on his shoulder he whacks the shot in, of course...

Melling 8b

Efren outdoor

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a girlfriend that was a legit alcoholic. I was helping her blossom, I guess... we went to a bar one time and the bartender offered us a shot on the house we said she could pick.. and got glasses full of crown royal.

tomatoshooter

A good player told me to work on weird (stuff) when I was bored or having a rough practice day because it would keep me on the table at least. This is one of the shots I worked on.
Yes. There are some shots that come up every couple of racks that I need to work on but it's good to spend a couple of minutes working on exotic shots. I may not make them on the tenth try but I'm certainly not making them on the first try. It's good to have some familiarity, it might be your lucky day.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Can't exclude this one...

Might not be a top sickest but the pressure to make this one shot for a world championship it had to take nerves of steel. Or maybe he figured it's a free roll since Alex made a blunder to even let him have this chance.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a girlfriend that was a legit alcoholic. I was helping her blossom, I guess... we went to a bar one time and the bartender offered us a shot on the house we said she could pick.. and got glasses full of crown royal.

Google translate comes up with: niyaya et nelto.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great shot, not as tough as Efrens Z shot. imo. but tougher than his side point first, then make the ball in the corner and run out from nowhere.