side spin cue position?

westlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is the right cue position of cue in using a side spin...and what is the better to use front hand english or back hand english,,,the number 1 in the picture i use regularly and i can make a ball using this side spin when the OBJECT BALL is near in the pocket like half a diamond away to the pocket and the cue ball close to the OB like 1 diamond distance to OB..but when i use it to a long shot /long range i miss the shot...:embarrassed2:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The correct cue stick position is the one that gets the spin you need to play position while putting the ball in the pocket. Any of the diagrams you drew might be correct for a particular stick depending on the speed of the shot and the distance to the object ball along with the elevation you're using.

There is no single rule. I think it's good to understand why there is no single rule.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. You must work with your cue/shaft and determine what if any systematic type adjustments can be used as a guideline to offsetting the various effects when using spin.

For instance, I have 2 or 3 different methods I might use depending on the shot - distance, speed or spin being used, etc. These are guildelines, but because I've worked with them and my own personal shooting style and shaft they are pretty accurate. Feel comes into play as well the more you experiment with english, but the FHE/BHE concepts are a great start.

Try setting up some standard shots where english is required - cutting a ball and spinning one rail with outside, spinning 2 rails with outside back through the center of table, 2 or 3 rails with inside back to center of table, etc. Try using no adjustment, FHE, BHE, or a combination of both. Try the same with soft-medium speed and firm speed. Try the same with 1/2 tip of english, half way out on the ball (1 1/2 tips), and maximum english. You will start to develop a good feel for your stroke and shaft and will see what works when.
Scott

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sidespin

What kind of cue and shaft do you use?

Front hand english works great for low deflection shafts. Easy to teach and easy to pocket balls.

If the cue has any amount of deflection you will want to use backhand english. You will want to find the 'pivot point' for the particular cue. Start 2 or 3 diamonds away from the rail and aim center cue ball at a diamond. With a bridge about 6 inches pivot your backhand to one side to get english on the cue ball. Shoot and see exactly where you hit on the rail - if you hit the diamond, left or right of it. Keep adjusting your bridge length to either closer or further from the cue ball until that works for hitting the exact spot you want to hit.

The hard part about backhand english is that at different speeds/distances you will need to make adjustments. Practice the distances/speeds by just shooting balls straight into pockets (without the cueball) and try to not hit either side of the pocket.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
At the risk of being a pedant, be cautious when the o.b. lies far from the intended pocket. Too many players are quick to add a full tip of english or more when there are many routes for good position via speed, force of stroke, vertical axis adjustment, etc.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

At the risk of being a pedant, be cautious when the o.b. lies far from the intended pocket. Too many players are quick to add a full tip of english or more when there are many routes for good position via speed, force of stroke, vertical axis adjustment, etc.