Sigel vs strickland

Fast Davie NC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would really love to see this... and it would be great for pool!!! Is this possible? I admire both of these players very much! Sigel could not miss back in the day, Nor could Earl. Sorry if this is a funny thread... I just miss old school pool! Let Me Know Your Thoughts, AZ Friends!!!

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
now David

thats not even fair ....lol . Call me sometime my friend .I would love to see that too.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it just me, or has Mike Sigel somehow become the most underrated champion in the history of history? The guy gets less respect than Rodney Dangerfield. I suggest checking out his track record.

What if they were to play all the games?

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
our we talking about how they currently play? Because if we are I would have to agree that earl would beat him. From what I've read on other threads Sigel doesn't play competitively anymore and doesn't play near as good as he once did. I'm sure if he started putting a lot of time and effort back in the game it would be a great match but now for now I would like Earl.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Is it just me, or has Mike Sigel somehow become the most underrated champion in the history of history? The guy gets less respect than Rodney Dangerfield. I suggest checking out his track record.

I see Mike most every time he's in Rochester. Earl would eat him alive!!! At nine or ten ball. Mike has convinced himself he can't win anymore. Loved watching the Mike of old with or without his constant chatter. He is his biggest enemy now. Still has flashes of greatness from time to time though. I learned long ago you can't live in the past. A lesson Mike has yet to learn.

Lyn

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
our we talking about how they currently play? Because if we are I would have to agree that earl would beat him. From what I've read on other threads Sigel doesn't play competitively anymore and doesn't play near as good as he once did. I'm sure if he started putting a lot of time and effort back in the game it would be a great match but now for now I would like Earl.

Don't count Mikey out. Give him three drinks, and he'll aggravate Earl so bad that it could be fun. At one time, Mike was the slight favorite. There, I said it. And so was Varner. Take that.

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
I would really love to see this... and it would be great for pool!!! Is this possible? I admire both of these players very much! Sigel could not miss back in the day, Nor could Earl. Sorry if this is a funny thread... I just miss old school pool! Let Me Know Your Thoughts, AZ Friends!!!

I have an Accu-stats video of Earl vs Sigel at the Sands in Reno. It's a great match and Earl won that one, but the commentators said that Mike had beaten Earl the last couple of times they played. When Mike was playing his best he was known as "Mr. Finals" and his winning percentage in the finals was unmatched by any player. Mike made 9 ball look so easy the way he played the game......

James

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I think 8-Ball would be the only possible game. Rotation it's the Earl show. Earl can't spell straight-pool and would have no business against MS.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
It's not really all that fair, since to my knowledge Earl has been competing with the best in the world continuously since his "prime" (back when he used to win the US Open every other year), whereas Sigel seems to have stopped competing. I imagine Sigel at this point has lost more speed than most of us will ever dream of having.

If you're talking both in their prime, then I'm sure that would be quite a battle. Hard to ever pick a winner when two players that good play 9-ball.

-Andrew

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're right about that everyone forgets he won over God knows how many titles against real chumps Hall, Varner, Strickland and Reyes etc during the heyday of pool.

People are like that they embrace the current "hot" thing and forget the old.

Earl would have to be favored because he competes and Mike probably wouldn't leave home for less than 10,000 guaranteed.

Isn't that what TAR said during a stream they tried to set up a match with Mike Sigel and he would only play for 10,000 guaranteed.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If it was a rotation game in there prime it would be a coin toss. Now...still a coin toss IMO. Johnnyt

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
You're right about that everyone forgets he won over God knows how many titles against real chumps Hall, Varner, Strickland and Reyes etc during the heyday of pool.

You would be right if the original post was about them playing twenty years ago. Unfortunately, the post was about playing NOW. Mike has no chance. For honor or ten thousand.

People are like that they embrace the current "hot" thing and forget the old.

No one is forgeting Mike. No one is "dis'ing" him either. It is just a fact. Mike could not beat Earl at nine or ten ball today for any amount of money. Period. Spend a lot of time with him and you'll understand.

Lyn

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
You would be right if the original post was about them playing twenty years ago. Unfortunately, the post was about playing NOW. Mike has no chance. For honor or ten thousand.

No one is forgeting Mike. No one is "dis'ing" him either. It is just a fact. Mike could not beat Earl at nine or ten ball today for any amount of money. Period. Spend a lot of time with him and you'll understand.

Lyn
HEy Cardiac, I was just last week trying to set up a exhibition in Rochester for John Schmidt and Earl. I spoke to one pool room and the manager there saisdthat Mike was there playing at that moment. So I guess he hits balls still, shame I could not get the deal done up there we could have had a great ring game :)

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

No, this is true, people have short memories, and they must not take the time to actually study the video of Sigel that exists of him running 150 and out in the US-Open, drilling Efren and everyone else in rotational pool in the 1980's and winning WAY more then his share of the tournaments.

Instead of actually watching the guy play in his prime people simply choose to remain ignorant of the facts and beak off, letting people all know of how little they truly know about what they speak.

It is common practice in pool circles, in 20 years young people that are atm 5 years old will be 25 and will be beaking off how much of a bum Efren was, Johnny was, Ralf was, ect..., and they will do so without having watched much of anything those guys did.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I think 8-Ball would be the only possible game. Rotation it's the Earl show. Earl can't spell straight-pool and would have no business against MS.

If Mark C makes this go off in 9 or 10-ball I will bet $20 on Mikey S. This would be a GREAT TAR match. I think these guys are close in rotational pool, Mike did well in Europe until they annoyed him enough to forfeit out of the tournament.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
Great idea Davie

Davie,
Like you, I also would love to see Strickland & Sigel match up. Two of my all time favorite players. In fact, I started making a monthly list of my top 10 players way back in the day. I'm talking in the 1970's. I've kept the lists I made since 1999 and they've both been on every list. So, yes, I would really enjoy them matching up.

Maybe they can do a T.A.R. type match up, with them playing 9 ball, 8 ball and Banks. Sigel would destroy Earl in 1P and would be a huge favorite over Earl in 14.1. Both bank really sharp, maybe a slight edge to Sigel. I give Earl the edge in 9 ball and it's close in 8 ball. Sigel is one of those rare talents that he wouldn't need a whole lot of prep time before he's in stroke enough for this to go off. Perhaps a month or so training and they both would be as peaked as possible at this stage in their careers.

For the record, it's my opinion that Strickland was the better 9 ball tournament player of the two. His 6 World Championships and 5 U.S. Open titles came later on, when more foreign players had begun entering these prestigious events. More majors than Mike and they were won against deeper competition.

My all time top 3 9 Ball tournament players is Strickland, Lassiter and Sigel, in that order.

A large part of Sigel's legendary status was also earned in his 14.1 exploits.
The only 14.1 champs I would rate over him are Mosconi, Greenleaf and Crane. I think he fits in nicely with Mizerak, Taberski, Erwin Rudolph, Bennie Allen, Jimmy Caras, Lassiter and Ray Martin, with Sigel maybe even being the best of this second group.