Simple Question

pooljunkie4ever

Grab Life by the BALL!
Silver Member
Why do you practice to get better?

When tournaments are all going to Amatuer/Handicap why practice?
When nobody want's to gamble unless they have the "nuts", why practice?
When there is no money is pool, why practice?
When the majority of tournaments are going go bar boxes, why practice?
When I can't beat the best even if I practice a bunch, why practice

JMO, I am thinking about playing alot less than I already do.

Banks

Banned

Why practice? Because playing the game is relaxing and I just want to improve at what I like doing. If you like cooking, do you keep burning your food? I hope not. ;)

Tournaments - I'd rather be good at my handicap than bad at my handicap. Really, I'd prefer to be the one giving the handicap.

Gambling - I don't mind people thinking they have the nuts. And who knows when some loose pockets are going to stumble into the bar. Being prepared is half the battle.

There's not much money in a lot of things. If you're doing this solely for the money, you probably don't have any. I enjoy it as a hobby, just as I'd enjoy fishing, camping, movies or concerts. I come to work for the money.

I play 95-99% on barboxes, so I don't see the problem. ;) It's a different style of play, which can be fun to watch big table players struggle on. Of course, the opposite can be true as well.

If you're having self-esteem issues over not beating the best at something, you need to get out more. There are a lot of people doing things at levels many of us will never achieve - who cares?

If you're not happy playing, then you need to step back and think about why you do the things that you do. I know that I play a fair share of my free time, but I enjoy it, from APA to BCA to the ocassional tournament, playing with friends, giving tips and suggestions or even knocking balls around by myself. Once I came to terms with the fact that I play for the pleasure of it, I started playing better and had more fun. Just stepping to the table puts a smile on my face. :thumbup:

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
My only motivation is to get better than I am today. Winning and losing aren't as important to me as how well (or poorly) I played.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
doesn't anyone just play for the love of the game? Every game is like a puzzle to solve, every break is different. Unless you put the balls in place with your hands, your seeing a layout that has never happened before.

Too Bad at Pool

Registered
If you're having self-esteem issues over not beating the best at something, you need to get out more. There are a lot of people doing things at levels many of us will never achieve - who cares?

If you're not happy playing, then you need to step back and think about why you do the things that you do. I know that I play a fair share of my free time, but I enjoy it, from APA to BCA to the ocassional tournament, playing with friends, giving tips and suggestions or even knocking balls around by myself. Once I came to terms with the fact that I play for the pleasure of it, I started playing better and had more fun. Just stepping to the table puts a smile on my face. :thumbup:

I don't think truer words have ever been spoken....typed.... :thumbup:

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
I'm with Krupa and Dennis here. I don't mind losing, as long as I played well; knowing I did what I could - but if the rolls just weren't going my way... nothing I can do about it. but if I played poorly, dogged too many shots, just did stupid things, then I get upset about the loss - and it pushes me to do better next time.

I set personal goals for myself, and regardless of skill level, I want to achieve them. That's why I practice.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member

Two of the three major amatuer tournaments are not handicaped.

I practice many different things all to get better at those things.
randyg

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why...,

Because I feel better after I do. I feel like the game and me are on the same team and someone is going to pay the price for not being as ready as I am....,

Tournament, gambling, big table or small, road player or trick, I always feel ready..., you cant beat that feeling win or lose...,

It must be Love.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member

It sounds like you need to ask yourself if you really want to continue with pool. I can understand your frustration about tournaments and handicaps but for me, I would continue to play pool even if it was by myself. I truly love the game, leagues, tournaments and money games are just icing on the cake for me.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you practice to get better? Being better is a worthy goal in and of itself.

When tournaments are all going to Amatuer/Handicap why practice? I don't care about tournaments, I do care about matches, though.

When nobody want's to gamble unless they have the "nuts", why practice? I do not have a gambling bone in my entire body.

When there is no money is pool, why practice? Being better is a worthy goal in and of itself.

When the majority of tournaments are going go bar boxes, why practice? Like I said earlier, I don't care about tournaments, just matches.

When I can't beat the best even if I practice a bunch, why practice? Perhaps you are overpracticing, or practicing the wrong things.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I play for the love of the game and it is simply in my nature to strive to be the best I can be.

That being said, even if you are looking at it from the perspective of the OP i.e. why try to get better if tournaments and match ups are handicapped - there is a rationale to try to get better. The reason is that if you are on the improve, your handicap will always lag behind your present playing level. So even in a handicapped event it pays to get better. Same analogy to matching up. If a guy is giving you the 7 and out to make a game, you will get in his pocket until he figures out he now should be giving you just the 8. Then you can fill your pockets with that spot until he realizes you now play him even. Multiply that by every guy in the room that thinks they have a fair game with you.

As far as being able to beat the best, that's not my purpose nor do I have any illusions that will happen. I'm just trying to be the best I can be.

Last edited: