Single layer tip questions...........

L.S. Dennis

I had the same experience, thay sure are hard tips, but Thay play super consistent. And thay last a very long time.I had 3 of those, that where way better, than I thought.
You're exactly right they are very very hard, I have one on my playing cue right now. To make it even harder I squeezed it in a vice before putting it on my shaft with my lathe. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this however, as it made it as hard or harder than a rock. A rock crumbles at some point where this tip won't.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're exactly right they are very very hard, I have one on my playing cue right now. To make it even harder I squeezed it in a vice before putting it on my shaft with my lathe. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this however, as it made it as hard or harder than a rock. A rock crumbles at some point where this tip won't.
Do you find also, thay sound different to others you've used?
also one of the few to hold there shape over time.

L.S. Dennis

Do you find also, thay sound different to others you've used?
also one of the few to hold there shape over time.
Yes it does sound different from other tip because it's so damn hard, and it won't mushroom either unless you put under 3 ton drill press.
I've always pressed my Le Pro tips in a vice before installing them and have never had a problem with them either. I probably would not recommend pressing the water buffalo tips though they're hard enough naturally.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend anyone wanting a single layer tip to give water buffalo a try. They are rated very hard but the leather surface has an open grain that really holds chalk and resists glazing and mushrooming. So in play they don't seem all that hard. Not particularly sexy at less than a buck a piece but are very consistent. The side wall is hard to make beautiful too as the leather is course. A box of 50 will result in 50 successful installs. And a lot of happy customers willing to try something different.
But of course everyone won't like them. These people are your best customers if changing tips is your bread and butter. They are always wanting to try the next greatest tip. For people who want to play good pool and not miscue a lot or fuss with their tips they are a great choice.
It is my understanding that LePros, Elkmaster, and other Tweeten singla layer tips are made from water buffalo hide. What Brand of tip are you referring to? WB brand?

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Techno Dud from Outsville is a great single layer tip.
I was just looking at those on Seyberts. They want $10 EACH! And everyone else is complaining about high priced layered tips? Wow. I'll stick to Morri hard. Reasonably priced (as far as layered tips go) and playability is outstanding.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
First time in capitalism?

There's a huge market for 70k dollar 4 wheel drive trucks that never leave the pavement or haul a load. Singling out the relatively tiny pool accessory market is just a sliver of the whole.
"Stupid is what stupid does"

Forrest Gump

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oooooooooooooooooooooooook good people of AZ. So, I ordered a box of LePros. Tried the float/sink test. LO and behold.......they ALL sank. Am I to assume I got the golden goose box of fifty sinkers? I donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn't think so. Any other way of telling if one is good or not? Is it possible the water I'm using is TOO thin and thereby producing 50 false positives? Lol. I have enough dental issues so the idea of chomping on one is out. Although, my dentist would appreciate the effort, for sure. Suggestions on how to select a good LePro short of buying 50 shafts and giving each a whirl? Anyone know a good voodoo witch doctor who can predict which one to use first? Or, anyone seen a water buffalo roaming around Philly who might be in the mood to give up a chunk of his hide for a test? I'll return the unused portion. Promise.

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend anyone wanting a single layer tip to give water buffalo a try. They are rated very hard but the leather surface has an open grain that really holds chalk and resists glazing and mushrooming. So in play they don't seem all that hard. Not particularly sexy at less than a buck a piece but are very consistent. The side wall is hard to make beautiful too as the leather is course. A box of 50 will result in 50 successful installs. And a lot of happy customers willing to try something different.
But of course everyone won't like them. These people are your best customers if changing tips is your bread and butter. They are always wanting to try the next greatest tip. For people who want to play good pool and not miscue a lot or fuss with their tips they are a great choice.
Do you know of a particular brand that states they use water buffalo? Short of sending some of my LePros out to a geneticist and having the DNA tested, which I REFUSE to do, it just looks like a piece of dyed leather to me. I have cut them open in the past and looked under a microscope to see what I could see. What I can report is there ain't much to see. I can't tell if it's leather or petrified chocolate pudding.

L.S. Dennis

The box I bought did have WB labeled right on the box. I forget how many were in the box, maybe 20 (the box is in the garage) I've bought many boxes of Le Pros in the past and these were definitely not them. They are very hard that's for sure.
Do you know of a particular brand that states they use water buffalo? Short of sending some of my LePros out to a geneticist and having the DNA tested, which I REFUSE to do, it just looks like a piece of dyed leather to me. I have cut them open in the past and looked under a microscope to see what I could see. What I can report is there ain't much to see. I can't tell if it's leather or petrified chocolate pudding.

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's hard to believe that something to replace the leather tip hasn't come to market by now. The shoe heel looks like it would make for an interesting experiment!
Here's the problem with shoe leather. Although I agree with you, typical cowhide doesn't come as thick as you would think. I've searched out 20 ounce leather and it's as scarce as........well........20 ounce leather. 20 ounce is roughly 5/16" (.3125) thick and that's UNpressed. Wet press it down and you get something akin to a piece of 1/8" masonite hardboard. When you talk to leather "craftsman" you realize just how little they know about their own industry. Talk to tanneries and you're seriously barking up the wrong tree. There are VERY few left in the States and any of the ones overseas don't even want to give you the time of day much less send you samples of anything. If you're not buying a truckload of cowhides they won't even answer your call. And, that's true of every kind of hide you can imagine. Boar hide. Buffalo, Water buffalo etc. Doing the research sends you down a rabbit hole of niche tanneries or high end garment/automotive leather producers who only use split leathers. There are really only about 100 tanneries still located in the US and they are all pretty much only interested in producing a product ready for a specific industry, typically shoes, garments, gloves, belts, crafts or upholstery. They want to sell you entire hide or hides....plural. I was able to find ONE small piece from Weaver but that was ONLY because they had it laying around due to an inability to sell it. It's the thickest I've ever seen but only in spots. Absolutely no uniformity to it whatsoever.

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is my understanding that LePros, Elkmaster, and other Tweeten singla layer tips are made from water buffalo hide. What Brand of tip are you referring to? WB brand?
I do not believe that's true. The difference you're seeing is the tanning process. LePro I believe are vegetable/oak tanned leather while Elk Master and anything that is kind of blue/green/gray on the inside is chrome tanned. Those are the two main tanning processes used worldwide. There are variations on the theme depending on where the tannery is located and their size. Ages ago they actually used brains to tan a hide. Yep. Actual brains. Oak tanning is exactly that. Somehow they use the tannin in oak to tan the hide which is really a way of just drawing out the water. Tannin is hydrophobic, it drives off water basically. It's pretty simple but pretty damn complicated as well. Essentially, same hide......different tanning processes.

Last edited:

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to be a cue maker in another life. What I find remarkable is that in the world of woodworking there is an enormous amount of scientific information on wood being used as an engineering material. Brilliant stuff and highly useful. For the life of me I cannot find the quintessential leather bible that lays out all the scientific information of using leather in anything other than shoes, garments or crafts. But hope springs eternal. I'm pretty stubborn. Remember the shuttle explosion back in the 80s? The source of the leak that lead to the explosion was an O-ring made out of leather and made by Morton/Thiokol. At least I believe it was leather. So, where is the engineering information on using leather in that type of scientific capacity? If anyone know a true expert I can talk to please let me know. I have 1000 questions for them.

Fitzz47

The o-ring in the shuttle was not leather,it was made made from a Viton formula. And they where told not to launch below freezing.

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not believe that's true. The difference you're seeing is the tanning process. LePro I believe are vegetable/oak tanned leather while Elk Master and anything that is kind of blue/green/gray on the inside is chrome tanned. Those are the two main tanning processes used worldwide. There are variations on the theme depending on where the tannery is located and their size. Ages ago they actually used brains to tan a hide. Yep. Actual brains. Oak tanning is exactly that. Somehow they use the tannin in oak to tan the hide which is really a way of just drawing out the water. Tannin is hydrophobic, it drives off water basically. It's pretty simple but pretty damn complicated as well. Essentially, same hide......different tanning processes.
From what I've read, all of the Tweeten brands come from buffalo. It's just how there treated, that makes them different, one of the reasons why WB tips are so hard. Thay are made from a different part of the animals hide, to the rest. I remember this thread from years ago on the subject.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Oooooooooooooooooooooooook good people of AZ. So, I ordered a box of LePros. Tried the float/sink test. LO and behold.......they ALL sank. Am I to assume I got the golden goose box of fifty sinkers? I donnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn't think so. Any other way of telling if one is good or not? Is it possible the water I'm using is TOO thin and thereby producing 50 false positives? Lol. I have enough dental issues so the idea of chomping on one is out. Although, my dentist would appreciate the effort, for sure. Suggestions on how to select a good LePro short of buying 50 shafts and giving each a whirl? Anyone know a good voodoo witch doctor who can predict which one to use first? Or, anyone seen a water buffalo roaming around Philly who might be in the mood to give up a chunk of his hide for a test? I'll return the unused portion. Promise.
Tap them with a screwdriver and listen for the high pitch ones. Weigh them with a gram scale, heavier are more dense.

L.S. Dennis

Tap them with a screwdriver and listen for the high pitch ones. Weigh them with a gram scale, heavier are more dense.
I remember Bob Meucci once saying that water buffalo tips were the hardest leather tip that he knew of. So I ordered a box (see attached file) and tried them. Meucci was correct, they are extremely hard way harder than Le Pros which I've used for well over 35 years. They may or may not come from the same animal, but they are definitely NOT the same. The back of the box indicates that they are from 'imported leather' not sure about that either.

Attachments

• IMG_4394.jpeg
    IMG_4394.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4395.jpeg
    IMG_4395.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 48