SJM Sizes up 2023 in Pro Pool

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting idea. Yes, Lunda made big strides in one pocket. A highlight of the year in the discipline was the release of Steve Booth's new book "The Art of One Pocket." Competitively at one pocket, the highlight of the year in one pocket was surely 68-year-old Efren Reyes' run all the way to the semifinals at Derby City one pocket.

no doubt, and let's hope he returns

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Based on this excellent post and also a recent thread regarding multiple entities after the same pie (which smacks of a similar occurrence years ago with the Camel Tour)...which was the nail in the coffin for ESPN and IMO really killed the growth of the sport.

I wonder if the main entities Matchroom - WPA - CSI - Player Reps - Ikon type sponsors like Cuetech - Predator - Simonis - Billiard HOF - Ikon name instructors like Mark Wilson - Dr Cue - Dr. Dave - Jerry Briesath - Bob Jewett...etc. etc.....could do similar to what the NFL , Baseball and Basketball does.....Not an "owners meeting" per-say.....but as recognized leaders of industry...perhaps they can start having annual meetings where they sit down and discuss topics and come up with ways to work together (instead of against each other) and grow the sport.
Interesting idea. I remember, to the last detail, what happened with the Camel Tour and don't see many similarities. Nonetheless, your idea of greater communication in the industry is well advised.

Still, archrivals don't usually engage each other in strategic planning, so the summit you imagine is probably never happening. Matchroom and Predator are the real powerbrokers in pool today, and it would be nice if they were to one day pool their interests and resources together for the good of the sport. It's definitely possible.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Looking forward to the years ahead and with Stu's OP perspective of the life of (9 ball in 2023).

Thx Stu, your words are appreciated.
An honorable mention to Freezers ''commentary''.

bm
I've never actually heard Scott commentate (in part because I was a Mosconi Cup attendee) but I'm glad to hear he's making the grade.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The best match was Neils vs Kaci in the World Pool Masters Semifinals.

Took so much out of both guys that Kaci got smoked in the finals a few hours later and Niels never threatened another big tournament all year.
That's a match I didn't see. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
2023 was a great year for pool.
What I'm seeing though is all the organizations are fighting each other, placing restrictions on players as far as where they can play.
That is limiting this game.
Yes, but it's nice to see that the players' services are now being competed for and it may be the beginning of prosperous times for the elite players.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't really follow the action scene. What were the most memorable action matches of the year?

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The matter of whether a blowout can be considered a great match has been debated before, and most feel it can't.
Was Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series a great game? I'd say so, and I'd also say that Lil Ko's perfection against Yapp was easily worthy of the description.

If a match has to be hill-hill to qualify, the Shaw vs Ouschan would probably get my vote, or Lil Ko vs Gorst.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Was Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series a great game? I'd say so, and I'd also say that Lil Ko's perfection against Yapp was easily worthy of the description.

If a match has to be hill-hill to qualify, the Shaw vs Ouschan would probably get my vote, or Lil Ko vs Gorst.
Good question. Is there a difference between a great performance and a great match? I recall the debate on AZB concerning Appleton's 200 and out against Bustamante close to ten years ago. It was and remains the only 200 and out in 14.1 competition. Larsen, Appleton, et al, gave great performances for sure.

I'll be flexible here and call these, Kaci at the UK Open and Little Ko at the US Open as great matches.

nicksaint26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really follow the action scene. What were the most memorable action matches of the year?

The McMinn/Reinhold 10 ball match on the barbox that went hill/hill with Chris winning 70-69 should be considered.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The McMinn/Reinhold 10 ball match on the barbox that went hill/hill with Chris winning 70-69 should be considered.
Thanks for that. I heard about it but didn't see it. I recall a thread in which it was suggested that McMinn made a poor choice in kicking in the double hill rack.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
No, but I didn't see others, I just saw the ending and this moment in time ''stuck out'' realizing his decision making was not good, especially when it took allot out of em to tie it up.
At that point in the match he was outta gas (his body language spoke loudly to me).
Even the pilot disagreed with my thread start at first... but set the kick on the one ball up, then realizing it's very difficult.