Sky and Shane Squabble

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane at 65 will still beat Sky. Completely outclassed.
Just curious what you and others may think. Jay Helfert said one time in a National Billiards Newsletter that every player his a peak, some lasting longer than others. What do you think of Shane's peak? Is he at the top of his game today and holding on strong, still climbing to a higher level, or maybe starting to dwindle a little?

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand that people can involve themselves in a personal dispute once it is public, but that doesn't mean they should.
Another POV. This is a pool discussion. There are only so many times you can rehash the same aiming, tip type, shot selection, etc. threads. The principles themselves put it out there. It is only natural for the fans to discuss it.

Also, pool NEEDS rivalries. Mcenroe- Connors, ali-frazier, Brady-Manning, and how much mileage has golf gotten out of Dechambeau-Kopka...

Just my opinion

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious what you and others may think. Jay Helfert said one time in a National Billiards Newsletter that every player his a peak, some lasting longer than others. What do you think of Shane's peak? Is he at the top of his game today and holding on strong, still climbing to a higher level, or maybe starting to dwindle a little?
My strong personal opinion is a player’s peak is at age 19-21.

I don’t think players improve past that for physical reasons.

I think genetics is the limiting factor of how strong a player can become.

Its not a popular opinion here, but it’s mine:)

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Shane was born in 1983. He was 19-21 from 2002-2004. During this time he was a really good up and comer. He was winning regional bar table tournaments and starting to beat some good players gambling. In 2005 he finished 25-33rd at the US Open.

Two years later, at the age of 24, he beat Corey in a race to 100. He then won the US Open. 2007 was his break through year.

It is hard to say he didn't increase his overall performance between 2007 and 2012. He gained experience and his moving game and mental game both grew stronger and stronger.

So I'd say he had several big break throughs between 21 and 30. I think the 30 year old SVB could spot the 21 year old SVB quite a bit. I could say the same about Chang, Soquet, Shaw, and quite a few others.

I don't disagree with the idea that it is hard to plateau at one level and grind to the top of pool, but there are exception cases all over.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Has anyone thought about the potential for this to be a giant promotion for BB 3000, Shane versus Sky???

Jaden

shasta777

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GREAT idea.... why don't we all just allow them to work things out... Yes there is a riff right now... but let
them figure how they want to deal with it... no sense in someone from the outside throwing wood onto the fire!!
Maybe in the near future we will see that they patched things up & then all this speculating was all just nonsense!!

It is their problem let them solve it!!

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM, I'm not trying to start anything here, and certainly not targeting you. Just gently suggesting that although the two players involved decided to air personal differences in a public forum, maybe the best course of action for those of us that are not involved is to just leave it alone. Nothing good ever seems to come from the expansion of these personal disputes by those not directly involved.

I understand you are not taking sides, but the simple act of bringing it up here when nobody else has done so has the effect of expanding the conflict.
YES! Just like when someone accidentally hits "reply all" to an email with hundreds of people on it. Then everyone gets 73 emails in the next 5 minutes saying "STOP REPLYING TO ALL".

Mcdermott1981

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I assume you do not really mean what you said in this comment and it was meant more for attention. Can you name one top tier player that played their best at 19-21? Shane, Sky, Earl, Johnny, Sigel, Buddy?? None of them. That was a ridiculous comment

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm just an old country boy and easily confused by this big city stuff so I'll ask again. How is the loser "still owed from the match"? How did he make money while losing? Did he get a slice of the PPV? Was he supposed to get a walking stick?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I reckon this is much ado about nothing. They'll both have their eyes on the prize at the Mosconi. A year ago, they were on perfectly good terms, but when they were paired together, they lost 5-2 and Team USA lost 11-3.

I think these long races test the patience and nerves of anyone who partakes, Skyler was right to let Shane know that he was rubbed the wrong way, and they will likely patch it up. I don't think Skyler needed to go public with this, but I respect his decision to do so.

sunburn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This competition between 2 top US pros would be good content on a podcast hosted by a retired top pool player interviewing one or both of them. I've seen plenty of squabbles in pro sports and at a WPBA event once with 2 lady pros.