Sledgehammer b/j values

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now that the only Sledgehammers available will be $300+, what will happen to the value of the $200 Sledgehammers, which were available from places like Seyberts? I called & found that Seyberts only has 6 left.

Eddie4269

Billiard Equpment Tech
Silver Member
berlowmj said:
Now that the only Sledgehammers available will be $300+, what will happen to the value of the $200 Sledgehammers, which were available from places like Seyberts? I called & found that Seyberts only has 6 left.

What is a good B/J going for these days?? ;)

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
a carton and 48 hours.

to your original question...

only time will tell what their value will be.
I'd guess they'll go down based on the
reviews I've read on how much better
the second gen. is.

Post a WTB in the classifieds
or search that forum.

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
berlowmj said:

I suspect that they will only be worth what someone pays for them. I mean watch eBay like new ones are selling for no more than $100 to $125, and used ones that show a few marks are selling for less.

To be honest, I think the value will go down even farther. The only ones I sell out of my retail store are the new Mcdermott Version, because at least they have a life time guaranty, which McDermott fully backs up.

I think these cues really are no value at all, first of all because they are massed produced, and second their are many cue makers that would build custom jump break cues for within $50 of these cues new. I suppose my question is why buy a production model cue when you buy a custom for nearly the same money, that is equal or even better quality.

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Valuable insight

manwon said:
I suspect that they will only be worth what someone pays for them. I mean watch eBay like new ones are selling for no more than $100 to $125, and used ones that show a few marks are selling for less.

To be honest, I think the value will go down even farther. The only ones I sell out of my retail store are the new Mcdermott Version, because at least they have a life time guaranty, which McDermott fully backs up.

I think these cues really are no value at all, first of all because they are massed produced, and second their are many cue makers that would build custom jump break cues for within $50 of these cues new. I suppose my question is why buy a production model cue when you buy a custom for nearly the same money, that is equal or even better quality.

I appreciate your precise projection & I know that you have the experience & credentials to support it. I did not realize that it would be possible to get a custom cue for around the same price!The break cue poses a really difficult question, because stores in Cincinnati & Louisville do not stock break cues. Even when I was in a large city like Chicago, I could not find a store which stocked break cues.

When I got my playing cue, I was able to spend an afternoon in a store where I tried numerous cues at a table in the store. I finally settled upon a Universal Smart shaft mounted on a Players butt. I have been happy with it & although I am steadily improving, I suspect that I will be dead before my ability reaches the potential of the cue.

I don't want to abuse my playing cue by breaking with it, especially since I do breaking drills to develop . I have a Sledgehammer on a long term loan from a friend who is now pressuring me to buy it or return it. Thanks to you, I will keep looking.

I have an amusing story. I attended the Derby City Classic in Louisville & when I was about to try a Predator BK, someone ran off with an expensive leather case belonging to the vendor & as chaos ensued, I never got to try the cue.

Perhaps I will get to attend another tournament with break cue vendors present. In the mean time, I will go back to abused house cues.

Thanks again for your detailed analysis. The fact that Seyberts will not warranty the Chinese Sledgehammer supports your case. You saved me money, frustration, & disappointment.

Pool is the only sport in which I have engaged, other than bullseye & combat shooting, where the equipment makes a difference.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The value of pool cues, as with fine art, is what someone is willing to pay for it.
Well, the value has a lot to do with where they were made.

Mines? Made in China. I got a custom joint pin and shaft from Mike, and love it. Play with it a few times a week. I realize what it does for me when I don't have it; probably the best compliment I can give it.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Okay, so just to make sure I'm not missing any opportunities: I have a sledgehammer j/b, the original Gulyassy patent-pending, not made in China, version. It needs a good cleaning, and has one fairly large ding in the shaft about two inches from the ferrule. I'm quite happy with the way it breaks, although I've hit with a friend's Rick Howard break cue, and would be quite happy to trade with him (except he'd need an extra $200+ thrown in to make it worth his while).

Now the question: since I like the way it breaks, this cue would not bring enough in a sale to make it worth my while, correct? No $300+ value here? Thanks for your input. If anyone wants to pay me $300 for this cue, send me a PM.

-Andrew

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
Okay, so just to make sure I'm not missing any opportunities: I have a sledgehammer j/b, the original Gulyassy patent-pending, not made in China, version. It needs a good cleaning, and has one fairly large ding in the shaft about two inches from the ferrule. I'm quite happy with the way it breaks, although I've hit with a friend's Rick Howard break cue, and would be quite happy to trade with him (except he'd need an extra $200+ thrown in to make it worth his while).

Now the question: since I like the way it breaks, this cue would not bring enough in a sale to make it worth my while, correct? No $300+ value here? Thanks for your input. If anyone wants to pay me $300 for this cue, send me a PM.
-Andrew

Wow. All I can say is wow.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Gregg said:
Wow. All I can say is wow.

I wasn't seriously asking for that, just asking based on the first post of the thread whether my sledgehammer was worth anything other than being a good break stick for me.

-Andrew

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:

-Andrew

Hello Andrew, the statement you made that(I have a sledgehammer j/b, the original Gulyassy patent-pending, not made in China, version.) is incorrect. Many people have the opinion that this generation or that generation sledgehammer was made by Mike. However, know one except mike knows how many were actually made by him. Back when these cues first hit the market, they were made by McDermott, Kao Kao from China, and he even contacted Danny Jane's from Joss to make cues for him, although they never did to my knowledge.

I am not trying to knock your sale, but to say any of these cues were made by mike is like saying that McDonald's Hamburgers were made by Ronald himself. There is no way I know of to verify what was made where, and unless Mike wants to tell us how to identify them no one else will ever know.;)

Have a good Day!!!!

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
At one point or another I've owned and used several Predator BK, BK2, Sledgehammer (various models), J&J jump/break cues (some with phenolic tips, some with phenolic tip/ferrule combos like a Sledgehammer), Bunjee jump/breaker, X-Breaker...

The older sledgehammer ($200-ish) models worked very well. I don't look at the $300 models and think "Wow! These are much better and worth $300!". If anything, I'd be inclined to take advantage of the older models at great prices while they are still available. Even better if the price comes down further.

For what it's worth, I do slightly prefer the X-Breaker for a combination jump/break cue, and I prefer the BK2 for purely breaking. Overall I went with the X-Breaker because I didn't want to carry a separate cue for breaking and jumping. But when I was using a Sledgehammer on a regular basis, it broke and jumped well.

berlowmj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue auditions

shinobi said:
At one point or another I've owned and used several Predator BK, BK2, Sledgehammer (various models), J&J jump/break cues (some with phenolic tips, some with phenolic tip/ferrule combos like a Sledgehammer), Bunjee jump/breaker, X-Breaker...

The older sledgehammer ($200-ish) models worked very well. I don't look at the $300 models and think "Wow! These are much better and worth $300!". If anything, I'd be inclined to take advantage of the older models at great prices while they are still available. Even better if the price comes down further.

For what it's worth, I do slightly prefer the X-Breaker for a combination jump/break cue, and I prefer the BK2 for purely breaking. Overall I went with the X-Breaker because I didn't want to carry a separate cue for breaking and jumping. But when I was using a Sledgehammer on a regular basis, it broke and jumped well.

If you have all of these cues, I would pay you to try them all. Where are you located?

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
No, I don't currently own all those cues at once. Like I said "at one point or another I've owned and used".

I should have mentioned I also used a JW Petree jump/break which didn't jump especially well (it only had a hard tip, not a phenolic) but it sure played well! Seriously :).