SMS or Winning 1P .. what is more useful?

TrumanHW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And then... which has better value for the price?

I'm a B player, beginner at OP, etc -- SMS is 1/4th the price of W1P... is W1P 4x as useful as SMS?

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd guess it has more to do with availability than usefulness. There aren't very many copies of Winning 1pkt out there.

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally liked SMS better but I would buy used copies of both. You can generally resale them for what you paid for them.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I personally liked SMS better but I would buy used copies of both. You can generally resale them for what you paid for them.

What he said. Both are very worthwhile end enjoyable to read. I resold both of my books for more than I paid. Grady's tapes are all worthwhile too.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Winning One Pocket has a very informative section that covers systems for kicking and banking so, I found it to be the more useful of the two. Tom Wirth's book (as mentioned by Cory below) is also excellent. Jack Koehler's Upscale One Pocket, Freddy's Banking with the Beard, and Incardona's One pocket instructional video have been indispensable.
W1P and SMS are excellent books to have but I think it would be a better investment in your game to purchase the others I've mentioned here. I'll add that Scott Frost's first instructional DVD is also very good.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I'm a B player, beginner at OP, etc -- SMS is 1/4th the price of W1P... is W1P 4x as useful as SMS?

What prices are you seeing? I'm thinking of W1P as about $300 and SM&S can't be $75. I have extra copies of both if you want to make an offer.

Thomas McKane

Lifelong student of one p
Silver Member

If you're just starting out in 1P, these 2 books will be to advanced for you and probably bore you to death. Most of the shots are of a very high level of execution. I own both of them, along with several other good books on 1P and I wouldn't start with these 2 if I started all over again. Pick up Tom's book as mentioned, it's got enough to start anyone off with very solid knowledge of moving.

Best way to learn however...find somebody good at the game, very good if possible, and play them day after day, week after week. Old timers are great to play, they love to move and moving is what makes 1P so fun to watch and play IMHO.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have both and SMS imho gives W1P 10 to 6 and the break as far as actual useful content.

Bossman69

Registered
SMS or Winning 1P

I agree that the book Tom has published is a good place to start if you do not have a mentor to work with, After a beginner has a fairly good grasp of the concepts and basic shots, the other two published treasures would be more useful and valuable.
I am in Michigan if you are interested in lessons.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a place I could purchase this book?

Thanks

You have to order directly from Tom, via the link on the facebook page. Check or PayPal, I think.

I imagine someone, maybe Tom, will be selling them at the Derby. Maybe even at the US Open.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will second Bossman69 as an excellent instructor in One Pocket or any other game. He can improve anyone's game, and is a strong player himself, as well as an excellent communicator. Come to Michigan and get "schooled" on his two 9' Diamond tables! I highly recommend Lance to anyone looking to improve. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I agree that the book Tom has published is a good place to start if you do not have a mentor to work with, After a beginner has a fairly good grasp of the concepts and basic shots, the other two published treasures would be more useful and valuable.
I am in Michigan if you are interested in lessons.

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend "Upscale One-Pocket" by Jack H. Koehler. It's not that expensive and is readily available at Amazon.

Short of playing a good one-pocket player, Mr. Koehler's book covers all situations. His info on banks is especially good.

Shoot Safe.

John