Space between CB and OB

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As part of your complete shot, how many of you pay attention to the space between the CB and OB. I mean, really pay attention to it?

Do you think about the time the CB takes to travel to its target? Do you think about the time between the sounds of the tip hitting the CB and the CB hitting the OB? Are you subconsciously afraid of pushing your cue directly into the space that the cue ball will be? Are you avoiding the thought of CB swerve?

I see a LOT of players tense up and steer during their forward stroke, probably because they are trying to make a ball go in a pocket faster than it can, or make the CB "teleport" to the OB contact point. Maybe if you are doing this, you could benefit from thinking about the "journey" of the CB, and then separately, the journey of the OB to the pocket a little bit more.

As George Fels pointed out in his opening sentence of Mastering Pool 14.1 section, "Sorry, but you are hitting the balls too hard."

Adding this to your PSR could help.

Solution
I think about the distance between CB and OB as to how it relates to speed and spin of CB.
There’s a big difference between just using medium speed with high right and ACTUALLY having the CB arrive with medium speed and high right

Zerksies

Are you talking about the point in pre-stroke shot as to where your tip lays before you actually hit the ball? I try to keep my tip as close as possible about 1" or less.

ACL

As part of your complete shot, how many of you pay attention to the space between the CB and OB. I mean, really pay attention to it?

Do you think about the time the CB takes to travel to its target? Do you think about the time between the sounds of the tip hitting the CB and the CB hitting the OB? Are you subconsciously afraid of pushing your cue directly into the space that the cue ball will be? Are you avoiding the thought of CB swerve?

I see a LOT of players tense up and steer during their forward stroke, probably because they are trying to make a ball go in a pocket faster than it can, or make the CB "teleport" to the OB contact point. Maybe if you are doing this, you could benefit from thinking about the "journey" of the CB, and then separately, the journey of the OB to the pocket a little bit more.

As George Fels pointed out in his opening sentence of Mastering Pool 14.1 section, "Sorry, but you are hitting the balls too hard."

I have never thought about it BUT I know I am hitting most of my shots too hard. I feel like I do that 60% of the time which is vast improvement of what it used to be (probably 80-90%). It is definitely an interesting way to look at it.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the "journey" of the CB, and then separately, the journey of the OB

It sounds like you want to write a novel about the two Journeys. Just what I need, more things to think about while shooting.
Sorry Tom, but if you want to improve, you kind of need to think about new things. Not permanently, but you need to make new neurological connections.

If you don't want to learn, that is also fine. A lot of players just like to gather as a group and collectively yell at the balls. It is their stress relief.

SeniorTom

Sorry Tom, but if you want to improve, you kind of need to think about new things. Not permanently, but you need to make new neurological connections.

If you don't want to learn, that is also fine. A lot of players just like to gather as a group and collectively yell at the balls. It is their stress relief.
Well I have been around the game a lot, and am a decent player, and I've never heard of such talk as journeys of a particular ball. Maybe I am around the wrong people, but I do hang with some very good players. This is new to me.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you talking about the point in pre-stroke shot as to where your tip lays before you actually hit the ball? I try to keep my tip as close as possible about 1" or less.
Yes this is a good.

But no, I am talking about being aware of giving the cue ball time to roll to where it needs to be, as a way to prevent yourself from hitting the balls too hard or stroking off-line due to anticipation.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

3c taught me the space between the balls matters A LOT.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
As part of my recent switchover to looking at the CB last, after 30-odd years of OB last, I also try to maintain focus on the CB as it moves off the tip and watch its roll, spin, speed, deflection, and swerve (if any) on its route to the target. It's given me a much higher awareness of the CB's action in general, and how my tip placement and speed affects that action. I've never before paid as much attention to the "space and time" between the CB and OB.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I feel targeted.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As part of my recent switchover to looking at the CB last, after 30-odd years of OB last, I also try to maintain focus on the CB as it moves off the tip and watch its roll, spin, speed, deflection, and swerve (if any) on its route to the target. It's given me a much higher awareness of the CB's action in general, and how my tip placement and speed affects that action. I've never before paid as much attention to the "space and time" between the CB and OB.
I think what you wrote is very similar to what I meant.

DaWizard

The moment my cue contacts the cue ball it's out of my hands. It's Caesar crossing the Rubicon. It's Frodo off to Mordor. The dice have been cast, no turning back, I hope the little measled fellow fulfills the mission entrusted upon him.

For me distance adds a lot of uncertainty, so yeah. But I'm not sure if I'm very conscious about it.

DaWizard

This reminds me of something that fascinates me. There are situations when a person takes an action and in that very instant he has a epiphany, but there's no going back.

I know of two examples:
1) the guy who jumped of the Golden Gate bridge to commit suicide. The moment he jumped he realized that all problems can be solved, except the fact that he is falling.

2) In chess a grandmaster explained a phenomenon that happens when you touch a piece to move. If you touch the piece you must move it. Grandmasters can spend an hour analyzing variations of a move and the moment they touch the piece they have a moment of clarity and see something that invalidates everything theyve analyzed in the past hour.

Does anyone has more examples of this?

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2) In chess a grandmaster explained a phenomenon that happens when you touch a piece to move. If you touch the piece you must move it. Grandmasters can spend an hour analyzing variations of a move and the moment they touch the piece they have a moment of clarity and see something that invalidates everything theyve analyzed in the past hour.
Chess pros highly recommend using physical pieces to learn, rather than a computer screen. It has something to do with using your spacial awareness as a tool to recognize patterns quickly.

Must be similar to how pool players would feel limited playing on a computer.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In answering to your 6 questions you pose in your first 2 paragraphs - no, no, no, no, no, and no.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
make the CB "teleport" to the OB contact point. Maybe if you are doing this, you could benefit from thinking about the "journey" of the CB, and then separately, the journey of the OB to the pocket a little bit more.
Thinking about the journey the money will take from their pocket to mine and then separately my journey to the bar for another beer is a beneficial thought for me. 🤷‍♂️