Speaking of pool movies(something new?)

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because a movie only about pool or some 'Heaven Can Wait' vibe pool flic would crash like a lead balloon. General movie audience doesn't give a shit about how real the pool is they want action/comedy/etc. Gambling will be tied to pool til the sun quits burning.
I hope it isn’t. Besides they recently made a beautiful series about chess that wasn’t dark. I’d like to see a series about pool or billiards that is more like Queens Gambit. I don’t want to see ego.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Why would I watch a terrible movie about pool? The only good pool movie isn't even a pool movie.

Tcom is mediocre with three great scenes.

Phj should be erased from the earth. The whole plot is a mess, the acting is terrible. Hell, even walken seemed to barely be awake.

There are too many great movies too waste time on garbage just because there is a pool table in it.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Nothing different from a tournament and playing Mano y Mano. You are putting in money to test your skill against others and trying to make money in the process. Some people prefer higher stakes and that in turn gets some in trouble. Makes for a more interesting plot. I always find it odd that some people will pay $20 to play a tournament then will scoff at a $20 match against an opponent. You actually have a better chance of winning money by playing one person for $20 then having to beat 4 or 5 just to get your money back. If you win 5 times for $20 you are up $100. Plus when you lose you have a buyback option.🤣😂 Best of all- no waiting between rounds.

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Ill even add that and say Pool hall junkies wasn’t even about gambling. It was about a guy and his struggles to get to the pros. It was actually stated gambling was a bad thing not gambling was good throughout the whole movie. It was even stated in the first scene that all Vince wanted was to go pro. He lost his woman over gambling for a while. He got his hand all jacked up. Was broke for a while. And he told his brother not to gamble and asked why his brother’s friend would take all his money to go on the road. Even at the end when Christopher Walken made it a point that he was a millionaire and the other guys backer(forget his name now) was throwing away everything he had and there was no reason to. He was inferring something. The point being why throw down everything on a game. It’s not worth it.

It’s all a matter of how you interpret the movie.

A friendly bet is usually what higher skills enjoy. $5 or $10 is still a bet.

In reference to high stakes gambling. I’ve never seen anybody post that those two pros are morons for playing a race to 100 for $20000 or $50000. It’s never frowned upon(from what I’ve seen). People get excited about those matches. Its all part of the game. Like it or not.

Last edited:

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Turn the River is a pool movie. Famke Janssen portrays a woman suffering from a challenging life situation. She shows real acting in that movie.

There are not enough female stories to inspire the female youth in billiards. There have been so many female trailblazers in pool in terms of the structure of the WPBA and IOC campaigns.

Pool figures are historical, despite the culture of language used on the forum. Female players like FranCrimi I think play a more significant role than what is discussed in news or editorials. Women that organize and grow the sport, that is not a movie it is pool history, and it needs to be told more. The story founding the WPBA is useful for global politics right now.

Just like Famke in the movie, women are suffering and men act like they can't see it.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Ill even add that and say Pool hall junkies wasn’t even about gambling. It was about a guy and his struggles to get to the pros. It was actually stated gambling was a bad thing not gambling was good throughout the whole movie. It was even stated in the first scene that all Vince wanted was to go pro. He lost his woman over gambling for a while. He got his hand all jacked up. Was broke for a while. And he told his brother not to gamble and asked why his brother’s friend would take all his money to go on the road. Even at the end when Christopher Walken made it a point that he was a millionaire and the other guys backer(forget his name now) was throwing away everything he had and there was no reason to. He was inferring something. The point being why throw down everything on a game. It’s not worth it.

It’s all a matter of how you interpret the movie.

A friendly bet is usually what higher skills enjoy. $5 or $10 is still a bet.

In reference to high stakes gambling. I’ve never seen anybody post that those two pros are morons for playing a race to 100 for $20000 or $50000. It’s never frowned upon(from what I’ve seen). People get excited about those matches. Its all part of the game. Like it or not.

I debate PHJ was about being the second highest earner in the relationship. Oddly enough the foolish investments into pool paid off in a big way for his "girlfriend." She was the main benefactor of having a gambling pool playing boyfriend at a professional networking social event.

If there is a social commentary then it is women are the main earners and should be setting terms for standards of their husbands and their hobbies/occupations/entrepreneurship. Imagine PHJ with crypto and social media payments and deceptive couriers, it would be like a Hacker movie from the 90s.

If secret societies ever existed, there should be a secret society in pool. I would assume its because the bar is a great place to meet people. Not many people go out of there way to find a distinguished pool hall. Even if its in California. that is basically 3 main rooms.

If PHJ was set in NYC then maybe the gambling would be more organized and less who knows someone with cash.