Special eyeglasses for pool Austin TX

luke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have called a few places in Austin TX and have not been able to find anyone knowledgeable about pool glasses. Progressive lenses don't seem to work at all. I have switched to a 20yr old pair of aviator style big frames for better results, but could use a better lens for longer shots. Any help greatly appreciated.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can get a good pair of glasses & bend the frames to make a super pair of pool glasses. (see the attachments)

The glasses are then perpendicular to the to the view, they are parallel to the focal plane. That means you don't get any aberrations in the view of the object you are looking at.

Good Luck

Attachments

• glasses folded.jpg
    glasses folded.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,100
  • glasses.JPE
    glasses.JPE
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,101
  • glasses.JPG
    glasses.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,144

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I have called a few places in Austin TX and have not been able to find anyone knowledgeable about pool glasses. Progressive lenses don't seem to work at all. I have switched to a 20yr old pair of aviator style big frames for better results, but could use a better lens for longer shots. Any help greatly appreciated.

Your question, luke, has been asked many times, and the best answer has usually been a website called Billiard Eyeglasses. It's a place run by a Dr. Harris, in Quebec, and if memory serves he would use your current prescription and kick you out a pair of glasses in about a week. They looked kind of funny, but worked great. The price was $174 bucks, although that was several years ago.
I hope this helps. :)

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your question, luke, has been asked many times, and the best answer has usually been a website called Billiard Eyeglasses. It's a place run by a Dr. Harris, in Quebec, and if memory serves he would use your current prescription and kick you out a pair of glasses in about a week. They looked kind of funny, but worked great. The price was $174 bucks, although that was several years ago.

These eye glasses you refer to are great, except for one flaw. They don't have the lens on an angle for you to see perfect vision, unless you are standing up. If you are leaning over, the lens need to be slanted backward about 15 degrees, so there is no aberration of the view.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luke, I don't know anything about Decot but I wanted to tell you that
recently I tried http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/ and they do not work
at all for me.
The curvature of the glasses was all wrong, for me, and when I stood about 4 feet from the table the very edges of the table curved up like a banana......this whole thing was terrible because if I moved my head the table would move in waves.
It wasn't very much at all but it was enough to make it very annoying and if you have to look up and to the side while shooting.......well...it's just awkward having to shoot uphill.
What was even worse was that when I returned them I had to pay customs to get the dang thing back into Canada, so he declined them and sent them back, then I had to pay customs again!
The whole process was a nightmare.
At the same time others have been happy.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is super-really easy to modify a simple glass frame. You may have a pair of old frames that will work, just get new lens. The frames can be modified in 5 minutes, then you get the optician to fit them to your nose & ears & you'll be able to see very well.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Luke, I don't know anything about Decot but I wanted to tell you that
recently I tried http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/ and they do not work
at all for me.
The curvature of the glasses was all wrong, for me, and when I stood about 4 feet from the table the very edges of the table curved up like a banana......this whole thing was terrible because if I moved my head the table would move in waves.
It wasn't very much at all but it was enough to make it very annoying and if you have to look up and to the side while shooting.......well...it's just awkward having to shoot uphill.
What was even worse was that when I returned them I had to pay customs to get the dang thing back into Canada, so he declined them and sent them back, then I had to pay customs again!
The whole process was a nightmare.
At the same time others have been happy.

I had the same problem. The glasses were out of the line of sight when I bent to shoot.
I had no problems returning it though.
I'm just stuck with 20/400 sight when shooting . Hit the ball fat a lot of times. :rolleyes:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried bending mine according to the directions and it still didn't fix the banana shaped pool table at the very edges.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member

Welcome back!

Ben

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
there's a company over-seas that makes glasses for pool/billiards where the frames for the lenses are at the bottom of the lenses.

a few people i know use them and they say they work awesome.

i will see if i can get some info from them the next time i see them over the weekend.

i will post the info when i get it

-Steve

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can fix the problem in 5 minutes... if you want some help call me at 918-543-6600 or get my on SKYPE, it will be easy to show you cb.breakrak.inola

No Charge

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I live in Burnet, TX and went to Eyes of Texas Eye Center and had Lasik. I had 20/300 vision and had quit playing pool for over 15 years. I really wanted to play pool and could not play with glasses. It was the best investment ever. I know have 20/20 vision at a distance and only need light dime store glass for small print like newspapers. They finance if you can't afford it. I think you should at least check into it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Personally, get a single vision lens and the general consensus is start with a twelve foot focal point, which I did, and then I changed/after a couple years to a eleven foot focal point, which works better for me. Just look at Any large round lenses that have the nose pads mounted low on the frames and away from your face as much as possible and start there. Or, I would find out what the Olympic rifle shooting team uses for their competitions.:thumbup:

poolshootr

Registered
Dedicated "shooting glasses"

I have been using Decot Hy Wides on the range for the last 20 years and they are the best for shooting, more shooters who use this type of eyewear use the Decot and with the anti reflective coating they work really well for pool

Axis_of_Evil

Registered
I went through this 10 years ago and found a solution that worked well for me.

First, my optometrist wrote a prescription for me that was my regular prescription but modified it so I could see my best from 2 to 10 feet (pool playing environment).

She referred to this change in my prescription as "pulling back the field of vision". This made everything very clear and sharp in the 2 to 10 foot range and a little fuzzy further out (my vision is pretty basic myopia, short sightedness with a slight stigmatism).

I then went to one of the online sites where you can order your own lenses and frames, all you need are the numbers off of your prescription. You just key in the prescription. The optometrist doesn't have to call in or verify anything.... really simple process. You can pick a frame that is more applicable to playing pool. This would be a frame that would probably have a higher vertical measurement for the lenses... as described in previous posts.

There are many styles to choose from and they are much cheaper than buying from the optometrist or from a retail store. Also, you can add all of the other features as desired, such as tint, hardened lenses, scratch resistance, etc if you want. A basic pair of no frills lenses and frame was $15 + $10 shipping (I know, hard to believe)... I'm sure it costs more these days.

Here are a couple of on-line sites to get inexpensive glasses;

http://www.zennioptical.com/

http://www.choiceeyewear.com/

This has worked very well for me. Also, now when I get my eyes checked, my optometrist gives me my regular prescription and she gives me my pool prescription at no addition charge. She doesn't have to check my eyes twice, she just makes the necessary change from my regular prescription to come up with my pool prescription.

Regards

Last edited:

tsp&b

Silver Member
These are the best that I have found!!! http://www.sportglasses.com/ you will need a prescription and a measurement for your eyes. Like the post above I opted for single vision glasses the were set for the 2 to 10 foot range.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go To Your Eye Doctor

Do it the right way....forget the glasses made for pool.......go pick a frame you like.......I went with RayBan frames over Maui Jim or Oakley frames.

Go to your eye doctor and have him make a blended prescription......mine weakened my reading glasses prescription and strengthened my long distance
prescription.......he came up with a combination after testing various strengths and versions in his office......my depth of field clarity is 2 feet to 12 feet.
The entire pool table is now crystal clear from rail shots to snooker table length shots.

Here's what my pool glasses look like......I couldn't wear those goofy looking pool glasses and this prescription will get changed by my eye doctor as needed.

Matt B.

Attachments

• New Miscellaneous Pool 4-1-14 107.jpg
    New Miscellaneous Pool 4-1-14 107.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 412
  • New Miscellaneous Pool 4-1-14 109.jpg
    New Miscellaneous Pool 4-1-14 109.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 420
  • New Miscellaneous Pool 4-1-14 111.jpg
    New Miscellaneous Pool 4-1-14 111.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went through this 10 years ago and found a solution that worked well for me.

First, my optometrist wrote a prescription for me that was my regular prescription but modified it so I could see my best from 2 to 10 feet (pool playing environment).

She referred to this change in my prescription as "pulling back the field of vision". This made everything very clear and sharp in the 2 to 10 foot range and a little fuzzy further out (my vision is pretty basic myopia, short sightedness with a slight stigmatism).

I then went to one of the online sites where you can order your own lenses and frames, all you need are the numbers off of your prescription. You just key in the prescription. The optometrist doesn't have to call in or verify anything.... really simple process. You can pick a frame that is more applicable to playing pool. This would be a frame that would probably have a higher vertical measurement for the lenses... as described in previous posts.

There are many styles to choose from and they are much cheaper than buying from the optometrist or from a retail store. Also, you can add all of the other features as desired, such as tint, hardened lenses, scratch resistance, etc if you want. A basic pair of no frills lenses and frame was $15 + $10 shipping (I know, hard to believe)... I'm sure it costs more these days.

Here are a couple of on-line sites to get inexpensive glasses;

http://www.zennioptical.com/

http://www.choiceeyewear.com/

This has worked very well for me. Also, now when I get my eyes checked, my optometrist gives me my regular prescription and she gives me my pool prescription at no addition charge. She doesn't have to check my eyes twice, she just makes the necessary change from my regular prescription to come up with my pool prescription.

Regards

Just bought a pair from zenni and they seem to work well...single vision +1.25 is all i need to see close and not effect my distance......20.95 shipped with options. Was using contacts but they just seem to irratate my eyes and couldn't wear them long