Springfield, mo.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
10' snooker tables set up right. 9' quality pool tables. Good weekly/monthly tournaments.

At least a small section or area that is separately well ventilated for having a smoke. Having to go outside sucks.

Where will it be located?

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If you're a 'bucks up' kind of guy, I'd like to see a fleet of new Diamond nine footers. No shuffleboard, no jukebox (xm radio only), no video games, only one or two flat screens set up for streaming, no food service (only sandwitches, chips, etc.), beer only (no cans), cue service, cue lockers, monthly One Pocket tournaments, dress code (no sleeveless shirts), discounted monthly rates for us hanger rounders. Oh yeah, and a free T-shirt goes to me for thinking all this crap up. :thumbup:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're a 'bucks up' kind of guy, I'd like to see a fleet of new Diamond nine footers. No shuffleboard, no jukebox (xm radio only), no video games, only one or two flat screens set up for streaming, no food service (only sandwitches, chips, etc.), beer only (no cans), cue service, cue lockers, monthly One Pocket tournaments, dress code (no sleeveless shirts), discounted monthly rates for us hanger rounders. Oh yeah, and a free T-shirt goes to me for thinking all this crap up. :thumbup:
Good luck on sleeveless shirt ban. This is Springfield, MO the heart of the Ozarks. Really hot in the summer.

If you put a Carom Table in that would force me to go down there more often.

There used to be an old Brunswick somewhere around Drury if I remember right. Played terrible but had potential. Guess its long gone by now.

pqrpro

Registered
Tramp...yours is actually the route I was thinking...9ft diamonds, 7ft smart tables, subs and finger foods, seperate "high roller" area with "tournament tight" tables restricted to better players with its own bathroom and minibar and an intercom system for sandwich ordering, I was thinking of a Digital Jukes box with Bose sound system set up on seperate volume controls for the league area and high roller area, a few Big Screens scattered around. High backed leather furniture all around...any other ideas out there????

Sax

Registered
Always good to see a new pool hall in town, too bad I smoke.

But to help you out, I'd like to see good wifi thats not slow, mediacom comes to mind. support a weekly/monthly or quaterly tournaments long enough to get a good following. Seating that doesn't make your back side regret the time spent in the hall. Hi def on the tv's if your gonna have hi def tvs. I'll post more if it comes to mind

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Tramp...yours is actually the route I was thinking...9ft diamonds, 7ft smart tables, subs and finger foods, seperate "high roller" area with "tournament tight" tables restricted to better players with its own bathroom and minibar and an intercom system for sandwich ordering, I was thinking of a Digital Jukes box with Bose sound system set up on seperate volume controls for the league area and high roller area, a few Big Screens scattered around. High backed leather furniture all around...any other ideas out there????

Now you're talking, son.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Does Phil Spudich still have his room in Springfield?

Yes he does. And a shout out to 3kushn. Phil does not allow sleeveless shirts in his room. If you come in with one on, a shirt will be provided for you to wear while there. If you refuse, you're out the door.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes he does. And a shout out to 3kushn. Phil does not allow sleeveless shirts in his room. If you come in with one on, a shirt will be provided for you to wear while there. If you refuse, you're out the door.
Tramp Steamer

I'm not against any rule a business owner may have. Its their business to run as they see fit. I don't even own a sleeveless shirt. I might have to get one so I can get a free Phil's shirt.:wink: next time I'm in town.

I think the OP plan sounds great. Its tough enough to make money in this business if you don't have all the other crap available. Food, Drink, Entertainment.

A sorry fact of life I'm afraid. The traditional pool room is a dying breed. I'd rather see the business succeed than for them to fail satisfying my personal preferences. And they would if they did.:mad:

So what about a 3 Cushion table. There's several USBA members that would help promote the game. I know there's players down there. We just need to get them out of the house.

Here's what I think for any or at least most that are truly interested in promoting cue sports. If you start up a room, offer everything. Pool, Snooker, Carom. Do that and you have everyone in your market. If it doesn't work there's always a market for the tables. But before you decide to sell pay attention to the times there's only 1 or 2 tables running. Bet ya a shirt, snooker or 3 Cushion is one or both around 3PM.

Last edited:

DogLoop

Doing some cueing ?
Silver Member
questions ...

Opening a new pool hall, NON-SMOKING, any ideas on what you would like to see?

What kind of square footage, layout and what ARE the smoking laws in your area?
Rent matters a ton for your venue relative to food, smoking, other games (video, foosball, etc.), music and liquor.

Feel free to pm as some of these questions have answers you may not want to post.

That being asked, if you have the means and space to do it right; at least one proper snooker and 3C table should be provided, both are a good fit for your "back-room" area. I like the idea of having a dedicated streaming set-up for your room (this seems to be an additional revenue or at least "buzz" stream).
If you can swing it, at least 17 9' footers and 8-9 barbox tables for reasons of a natural tournament board with extras for the natural action that happens once good players are in a room together (again in your back-room).
I like the idea of being aware of volume control segregation between levels of "seriousness".
Also, do your best to give at least 1 foot more than the "standard" 60" between one table's inside rail and the nearest table's outside rail. I hate overly close quarters, I'd guess that others do too.

Regards and best of luck,

-Ivan

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

I personally opened, built, designed and ran my own non/smoking/drinking pool room, it was very successful at times, if you need any help feel free to PM me.

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member

Lets see......Scott Lee as house pro, Fast Lenny as bouncer, and Shanelle Loraine as a cocktail waitress. A walk in humidor with a primo Cigar selection and some cask strength Macallans. A covered patio area where one might enjoy the whiskey and cigars while tending the Whole Hog slowly smoking on the BBQ. A chair with my name on it and a small cot in the back room where I could sleep at night.....LOL

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
Keep waiting

Yes... I'd like to see your non smoking pool room moved to clearwater Fl.

Eventually ALL public venues, bars/pool halls/restuarants will ban smoking, PERIOD.

:):):):)

Do not smoke, but kind of used to it after years in pool halls and bars.

Mr.Bumps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i hope this isnt just talk and wishes, if u build it, could u put a heart dispenser in somewhere, so maybe we could get a little gamble back in town. im not sure who u r but i wish u the best in making this happen pqrpro. if u get diamonds u get me

Kenny Turner

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Finally...

1. I'd love to see a place where the players are respected rather than looked down upon.

2. One "PERFECTLY" set up, true rollin', straight bankin' 9 footer for a bit of the ol' one hole. ;)

3. One sweeeeeet snooker table for the daily golf game that still resides fondly in my memory banks, but since Springfield doesn't have a snooker table anymore it's just that...a memory.

Oh yeah, as Kenny said...a heart dispensing machine should be required equipment in ALL pool halls in this era.

Goin' back under my rock now... I pray that this becomes reality. Best of luck to the OP.

Oh yeah, please have an unlimited supply of Southern Comfort if you are going to have alcohol!

Last edited: