St Louie Louie Feature Film

Joey27

Registered
if your story is good and you have all your s--t together you would have an easier time getting money from the movie industry people.
and if they wont finance it they think it wont work.
ive seen too many people taken on these type of things from scams to just wishful thinking producer types.

plus you are way too early for someone to invest. their equity would be gone or diluted by the time you even get close to producing a film.

but good luck as anything pool related is welcome.
Sir, this is just the process the movie industry uses. If they can't get funding from anyone privately then a studio will likely have to finance the project in-house.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Sir, this is just the process the movie industry uses. If they can't get funding from anyone privately then a studio will likely have to finance the project in-house.

Will you approve funding per scene? I would like to fund a scene but I want to be in it. Face coverage for 2 seconds or less with main character on screen, no talking.

FSutton

Full Rack Banks only!
Silver Member
If you'd like to read it I can send it to you via email. But please don't share it with anyone or post it publicly.
I’m a writer and i will tell you make sure you have anything you share copyrighted

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is to move forward with it and do not share anything with the pool community. Let them see the finished product and then become the naysayers that most of them are.

Most celebrities will share that they learned climbing up the celebrity ladder that they had to realize that criticism and Negative Nellies sharing their opinions are a part of the business that one needs to learn how to ignore. It ain't easy.

Social media, in particular, is brutal. I wish I knew 20 years ago what I know today about forums and social media. Some people can step over the mud puddles and ignore it, and others, like me, have trouble not replying to those targeting others for the sole reason to cause anger and hurt.

I say move forward and go for it. Negative feedback at this stage is just ridiculous—in my opinion, of course. Good luck to you!

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean no disrespect here but just how are you going to capture the interest of the general public with Louie Roberts? 99% of the people in the world have never heard of him. It is hard to find anyone who cares about obscure pool players.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean no disrespect here but just how are you going to capture the interest of the general public with Louie Roberts? 99% of the people in the world have never heard of him. It is hard to find anyone who cares about obscure pool players.
"Obscure"? Not sure how old you are or how long you've been enjoying pool, but Louie Roberts is colorful, and his life story ends in a shocking tragedy, which today is still debated whether he died by suicide or was murdered.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will you approve funding per scene? I would like to fund a scene but I want to be in it. Face coverage for 2 seconds or less with main character on screen, no talking.
Dear Mr. Fantasyland,

We've known you for a long time and you don't have anything positive of any type to contribute to the project...or the game.

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Obscure"? Not sure how old you are or how long you've been enjoying pool, but Louie Roberts is colorful, and his life story ends in a shocking tragedy, which today is still debated whether he died by suicide or was murdered.
Jam, I am 70. Have been playing pool forever. Of course I have heard of Louie, but I doubt that I a have a single friend who has ever heard of the guy. He is the very definition of obscure. When I said that 99% of people never heard of him I was being nice. Probably 99.9%. So unless you are going to be happy with an incredibly small fan base you will need to give people who are not pool players a reason to care, a reason to watch. I am just wondering what that is going to be.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... When I said that 99% of people never heard of him I was being nice. Probably 99.9%. ...
While I agree with you, that fact is also irrelevant to the success of the movie. The script and the acting (and production details) will determine the level of success.

Compare The Hustler with The Player to see what I mean.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
all true but almost all low budget movies lose money and that money is the investors. some will never learn.

if going to invest which i believe is dumb. at least have the person show his accomplishments from the past that have been financially successful with a return to investors not related.

he can post them here.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
and jam why dont you nominate keith. he has been in a pool movie before and is more well known and has more color and is also alive to give advice.

• Love
Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jam, I am 70. Have been playing pool forever. Of course I have heard of Louie, but I doubt that I a have a single friend who has ever heard of the guy. He is the very definition of obscure. When I said that 99% of people never heard of him I was being nice. Probably 99.9%. So unless you are going to be happy with an incredibly small fan base you will need to give people who are not pool players a reason to care, a reason to watch. I am just wondering what that is going to be.
None of my work colleagues and non-pool friends have ever heard of Earl Strickland, Efren Reyes, and other pool players from yesteryear or today. It's the storyline of Louie Roberts' life story that will make for a good movie if it has the right script and production.

By the way, we're the same age. :)

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and jam why dont you nominate keith. he has been in a pool movie before and is more well known and has more color and is also alive to give advice

Keith's journey in life is an interesting one for sure. Like this movie topic and the recent movie "Break," the pool purists and pool know-it-alls will come out of the woodwork and condemn it before it gets started.

One needs a thick skin to be in the movie business, I think. :)

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Dear Mr. Fantasyland,

We've known you for a long time and you don't have anything positive of any type to contribute to the project...or the game.

There is what you are told and know, then there is the truth.

You are talking for which we? Online bullies in AZB that make unimportant comments about super pool fans that are asymmetric in their math knowledge.

IMG_8060.jpeg

What youve known is not the same as what I am teaching. Why cant you do something to promote pool or pool people?

IMG_8061.jpeg

Gerard Huber

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
make that 99.9999999999999999999% never heard of him :) we don't realized it but our pool world is very small as far as famous players being known to the general public

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I knew two people that tried to make a feature full length movie, they were world famous photographers, they had two famous household names as stars, and a world famous Oscar winning writer. Terrible time getting the money, and to get the stars and money available as the same time is next to impossible for non studio people.
I would think that's why studios have stars under contract so if there is a project they like and since they have the money they can do it.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If I might be permitted to ask a question out of ignorance, please indulge me.

Yes, I've heard of Louie Roberts. I know the basic parameters of his story and recall his death, but I never met him.

My question is: Why is his story an important one to tell, and is there a danger that telling it might scare some people away from pool?

Joey27

Registered
If I might be permitted to ask a question out of ignorance, please indulge me.

Yes, I've heard of Louie Roberts. I know the basic parameters of his story and recall his death, but I never met him.

My question is: Why is his story an important one to tell, and is there a danger that telling it might scare some people away from pool?
Seems like a genuine question so I'll give you a genuine answer: Louie had some drug addictions and suffered greatly as an alcoholic, like many others in that era. His story and untimely death demonstrate the effects of drugs and drinking on the human soul. This is a sobering, family message disguised as a pool hall drama. The audience will fall in love with Louie because of his humor, his gift of gab, his savant-like skill and passion for the game of pool. Will it scare people away from pool? No, it will promote pool and billiards with a fun and interesting genius character and then scare people away from drugs and alcohol.

Reactions: JAM