stainless joint question

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never installed a stainless joint before, but was thinking about experimenting with an old house cue. I've got the tenon threader that Chris H sells and was wondering how far you guys undercut the tenon. I'm going to experiment with some scrap wood but was looking for a starting point. How about .600? Too much?

Thanks

dave sutton

Banned
.580 then wax it up like a ferrule. i use bees wax. on and off bout 3 times til get to the bttom. make sure you face the SS bottom too

Last edited:

dave sutton

Banned
also do you put it in the tailstock for stabilitly? if so i also use vicegrips on the back of the threader so i have leverage and dont hurt my wrists twisting

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I usually say .580 to .585 on 5/8-11 threader. So Dave is right on that and I like his vice grips idea. I think I would wrap it with a thick piece of leather first so as not to eat of the brass with the pliers.

bman43

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
also do you put it in the tailstock for stabilitly? if so i also use vicegrips on the back of the threader so i have leverage and dont hurt my wrists twisting

i ground two flat sides on my threader so i can use a wrench on it.also the 5/8-18 cuts a lot easier than the 5/8-11.

dave sutton

Banned
I don't have a problem with it being hard as long as I don't go on too deep in one shot. 3or4 on and off. The key is the wax tho