****stolen 1953 balabuska**** dallas, tx.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
just to be triple clear; Yes, I was kidding.

my Lotus is just fine. :grin-square:

Crap, I just sent you a Bricklin to make up for it (not running, lot's of rust, no doors, but if you squint and look from certain angles, it looks kind of like a Lotus) .

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up!

I'm going to present the cue and case to Gene tonight at 7pm. However, the cat is already out of the bag. Someone , who didn't know it was gong to be a surprise, told him what was going on a few days ago. No big deal though because it doesn't take away from the spirit of this kindness. I was a little worried that it would get out early.

We called Gene last night to ask if he would be at the billiard den tonight (he usually is). He nope , it's gonna be 9 degrees windchill, I'm staying in tonight. Glad we called !!! He said he will be there at 7.

I'll get someone to take some pictures and make sure he know who and where this act of kindness and generosity came from.

Thanks again , y'all !

Kickin' Chicken, it was really nice what you and the other people here on AZ did for Gene.
I am looking forward to seeing Txstang1 present the gift tonight at the Billiard Den.
I am glad that Txstang1 mentioned this problem on the Forum, he is a good guy and a heck of a good player.

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
I started to read this thread when it was first posted. I got turned off by it when the original cues authenticity was questioned. I just re-read the entire thread and was very surprised. Good job guys. I wish I could have contributed.

Ben

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update !

I will update tomorrow lol. I presented the cue tonight and then played league right after and now I'm gambling cheap with my teammate , Barry. . I will post pictures and more details tomorrow. Thanks

9Ball_JJ

Newbie Fo' Life
Silver Member
Txstang and the AZB community, thanks again for doing this for Gene. I was there last night as well as several members of AZB. Gene got there about 7:20 and there was a crowd of about 25 people that were waiting for the presentation. Txstang got everyone's attention and gave a nice story about the cue before presenting it to Gene.

You could tell Gene was very very appreciative of everything with a smile from ear to ear, and everyone was admiring the cue non-stop. Needless to say, it didn't take very long before Gene was hitting a few balls with his new cue.

I'm sure Steve will post a more detailed recap, but thought I'd share.

Attachments

• Gene.jpg
    Gene.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 393

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Txstang and the AZB community, thanks again for doing this for Gene. I was there last night as well as several members of AZB. Gene got there about 7:20 and there was a crowd of about 25 people that were waiting for the presentation. Txstang got everyone's attention and gave a nice story about the cue before presenting it to Gene.

You could tell Gene was very very appreciative of everything with a smile from ear to ear, and everyone was admiring the cue non-stop. Needless to say, it didn't take very long before Gene was hitting a few balls with his new cue.

That photo is worth a thousand words. that's what is beautiful about the sport right there. Amazing.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Awesome photo!
It's barely a week into January and we may have already found the best thread of the year.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I hope that if I am so fortunate as to get to his age, people treat me as well as they have treated Gene. He is obviously liked and respected.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
This community is awesome, the AZBers that put this together deserve a round of applause.
Very well done AZB.

Did anyone get a update on his original cue or who might of known any info on to whom snatched it?

Rob.M

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member

Well, I had the honor of being there last night (me, on the left of the photo) when Txstang1 presented Gene with the beautiful cue & case. Gene was very happy and received handshakes from many, many people there. While I was playing my league matches I would glance over at Gene and he was hitting balls with the cue and seemed to be very happy, Thanks to the kindness of the people here on AZ.

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is Just Great

Bravo.

A great act and great way to start the year.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I hope that if I am so fortunate as to get to his age, people treat me as well as they have treated Gene. He is obviously liked and respected.

KC will give you the Bricklin back......:)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
KC will give you the Bricklin back......:)

I actually painted one of those once. In some areas, the paint literally bubbled up everywhere because the fiberglass was porous and allowed air to seep though it. It was like trying to paint a sponge! No way to seal it either - needed all new glass.

The best part about the Brickin was the air doors. I would pull up alongside some cute girl and smile at her, then pop the air door straight up. I never failed to get a raucious laugh out of a lot of good looking women - they loved it!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Crap, I just sent you a Bricklin to make up for it (not running, lot's of rust, no doors, but if you squint and look from certain angles, it looks kind of like a Lotus) .

without tracking info, the Bricklin never shipped. :D

I do remember them, def not many around my neck of the woods.

best,
brian <---- wondering why txstang still has us on ice... ;)

Last edited:

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok guys , sorry for the delay.

It went great ! There were a lot of people that were able to make by before they had league at other locations, a specials thanks to those guys. Chance Curry, OB cues, RBC, DOC, etc

We were expecting Gene at 7, but atlas when you live an hour away and have to deal with dfw traffic, delays can happen. A few people that made a special trip had to leave before the presentation because their leagues started at 730, but I really appreciate you guys making the effort for Gene. I made sure who knew who was there though, so thanks again.

It went great ! We gathered everyone around when Gene got there. I gave Gene and the crowd details of how all this came about, that the people of AZ billiards and locals wanted to do this for him after learning about him and the situation with his balabushka. I was starting to get emotional and i could see Gene's eyes welling up as i shook his hand. So in true "guy fashion", I move on quickly to details about the Adam cue you guys purchased for him , lol.

I dont really remember what i said next, I was kinda nervous since speaking to a crowd is a big phobia for me. But it was short and sweet and ended with a nice applause and lots of visiting with Gene.

I think it was very special and i was very proud to be a part of it ! So thank you for that !

Gene stayed and sweated some action and hit balls for a couple hours with it. He likes a lot. He is going to get it to John Nemec (everglade on AZ) to get that fat shaft tapered down. I finally had a chance to hit some balls with it last night too, and man it really hits good, no BS ! Awesome and beautiful cue !

Mike (14.1straightman) and Juan (9bal jj) thanks for getting there early last night to be a part of this ! and great shooting last night ! but we're coming for ya !!!!

Thanks you to everyone who participated in this, I only wish y'all could have been there ! !

I'm posting some pics in just a minute

Attachments

• image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 371
Last edited: