stripped female on Mc dermott

mowermarty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wood socket is no longer gripping the shaft tightly-still holds but not tight.. What do I need to repair it and where do I find it? The metal pin on the butt is still good.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The wood socket is no longer gripping the shaft tightly-still holds but not tight.. What do I need to repair it and where do I find it? The metal pin on the butt is still good.

list of things needed:
dial indicator
cue lathe
drillbits
boring bar
maple or phenolic dowel
3/8x10 tap
epoxy

OR:
qualified repair person, either a local guy or someone on here. Where are you located?

Dave

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am extremely disappointed that this thread is not about what the subject title led me to think it would be about.

TW

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps placing a few drops of water into the joint may expand the wood so you get a tight fit.

Last edited:

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Perhaps placing a few drops of water into the joint may expand the wood so you get a tight fit.

unfortunately, this method, if it works, will only work until the water evaporates, then back to the same condition. The only real fix is to bore it and plug, then drill and tap.
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
unfortunately, this method, if it works, will only work until the water evaporates, then back to the same condition. The only real fix is to bore it and plug, then drill and tap.
Dave

Exactly........... plug it with phenolic.........

Kim

mowermarty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tried the loctite thread repair kit today

it is working for now but do not know if it will hold up. Its a two part epoxy with a release agent to coat the pin and top of butt.Let it sit 7 min instead of the 5 min the instructions said and was difficult to unscrew it but did. Should be able to do a real repair if it fails. Its a cheap cue so gave it a try. Has anyone used this? Does it last?

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it is working for now but do not know if it will hold up. Its a two part epoxy with a release agent to coat the pin and top of butt.Let it sit 7 min instead of the 5 min the instructions said and was difficult to unscrew it but did. Should be able to do a real repair if it fails. Its a cheap cue so gave it a try. Has anyone used this? Does it last?

Who recommended that to you? Are you saying you smeared epoxy all over the pin and screwed it into the shaft and let it partially cure and then unscrewed the cue?

mowermarty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its a kit

No one said I just tried it. Most of my life I have been in charge of maintaining mowing equipment and know of the product from this. You put the epoxy in the hole paint the male part with release agent that is included in the kit ' this keeps the pin from sticking to the epoxy. When we use it we do not take it apart every day like a cue so do not know if it will hold up screwing and unscrewing over and over like with a cue. Its Loctite form a thread stripped thread repair. We use it on low stress stuff some times. Its available on amazon. If it don't work it will drill out the same as wood.

DoubleDCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smearing

Cue maintenance and smearing are not two terms I would have ever guessed being used in the same sentence. I'm going back to the Stripped Female McD.

Last edited:

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
plug

list of things needed:
dial indicator
cue lathe
drillbits
boring bar
maple or phenolic dowel
3/8x10 tap
epoxy

OR:
qualified repair person, either a local guy or someone on here. Where are you located?

Dave

do what kim says and use a phenolic plug ......it makes things simpler

Joe

jkan101

jkan101
Silver Member
list of things needed:
dial indicator
cue lathe
drillbits
boring bar
maple or phenolic dowel
3/8x10 tap
epoxy

OR:

Dave

Do what Kim suggests use a phenonlic plug and its done.....

Joe