Super Glue Crowned Seam Question...

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
The one end slate has a crown. I got the table perfectly (or as perfect as possible) level. I'm fanatical and spent a lot of time on it and incorporated many of the tricks and techniques I've learned about here. The crown is on the seam end. If I level the crown flush with the middle slate in the middle, the ends of the end slate are low.

My question is, when I push down the slate - will super glue have the strength to hold down this crown?

I plan to super glue 6" sections in 3 places (the ends and the center) of the seam.

I haven't pushed the crown down into final position, what I did was I got up on the table (I'm 200lbs). This pushed down the crown to perfect to match the other slate. When I go to actually push it down, I will use straps and a jack or possibly just stack a bunch of ceramic tile I have sitting in the garage if I can't find my straps.

The center slate has a very, very slight sag - but this was corrected with a shim underneath near the center. So the center is straight.

Anyhow, just wondering about that. I know many of you mechanics super glue the seams to prevent shifting and popping, but I was uncertain about how to deal with a crown. Seems like there will be a lot of tension on it. Last thing I want is this thing popping a week later after I got the cloth on.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Jim Vondrell

Accu-Level Billiard Svc
Silver Member
I don't know how others would like this but i use to different size masonry bits and drill a hole near center and put a screw into crossbeam to hold slate even then super glue. and fill hole obviously

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
When Donny (SDBilliards) reworked my Gold Crown, he repaired a slight crown on the head slate exactly as Jim describes: screw it and glue it. Works great.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
When Donny (SDBilliards) reworked my Gold Crown, he repaired a slight crown on the head slate exactly as Jim describes: screw it and glue it. Works great.

Do you think the super glue will hold on its own?

Reason why is, this is a GC, and the cross supports are not fixed to the frame.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
super glue

How bad is the crown? I have used index cards as wicks for the glue..if the crown is slight, I would say yes it will hold, make sure all and I mean all of any wax has been removed if present..better find your straps! I had thought the same thing about the crown staying down and not poping..use loc tite Liquid super glue not the gel. I put it to the test on a few different tables in different ways, the first time I has back to disassemble the table a year or so after I set it up for transport to a new location, I took all the slate screws out of the slates and lifted on the center slate and the whole thing lifted in one piece,<this table had a slight crown at seam..dident budge...the second I put to the test was a GC 3 with a slight crown at seam, I strapped it and jacked it then glued it well then a quick bondo at the seam, I went to get some lunch and let it set up,came back and the owner asked me if it would hold that way with no pop..I said let's find out if it will hold' I went around with a rubber mallet and beat the shit out of the seam trying to break it loose with no luck' I told him if it popped I would come back at no charge and brace it..
Take your time'
Its worth it!
-
Have a good day
Rob.M

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
It's a slight crown. I know it's all relative..but it's basically trying to match up the seams from what I guess. At the highest point, the crown is probably no more than 1/32" ...and that's max right at the peak. I don't even think it's 1/32, just saying to be on the safe side. The rest of the seam is less where you can just feel the difference barely.

If I recall correctly, the crown height was less than the thickness of a standard utility razor blade. When I put a blade down next to it, the blade was higher.

I also used my Starrett 98-8 as a straight edge on it's side to judge the match up of the seam.

I could get out my calipers and measure the difference...for an exact crown height measurement.

In order to get it even, I stacked 200lbs of lead brick on the slate. I can't find my straps.

As for wax, there is none. I fully removed it with blow torch and scotch-bite pad.

I have a couple of bottles of the liquid super glue (Loctite)...the runny kind, not the gel.

Last edited:

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Thank you all so very much. I can't describe how much I appreciate all your help. I just want you to know that it really is very much appreciated. It isn't often that one can get such good info from experts.

Again, thank you.