SVB R360 Shaft RIP

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laughed my butt off. That guy doesn't look much older then me, but we sure have different styles. He won more games then I probably would of won.

Shane looked like he was trying not to crack up!

He did look like it was hard to keep from rolling. Shane is coming here in a few months. I sure would like to enter the tournament. But I know my chances of drawing him are slim.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant believe he doesnt have a quiver full of shafts that he likes and can use without a noticable performance difference.

Was thinking the same BB. I was talking to Earl in 88' at US Open when he used
Cuetec and he had a whole case of just shafts! Of course, he bad-mouthed Cuetec
the whole time.....'think how good I could play without this POS'! Lol. He was and is
EARL!!!

I saw on SVB's FB last night that he broke the shaft he has played with since 2009, a Cuetech R360, while practicing some "crazy shots" right before his finals match. I couldn't get the pics to load, but it snapped at the junction of the shaft/tenon. That could also explain why he appeared a little "off" in his next round.

I thought it was interesting to see what he plays with. Prior to 2009 it was a Joss shaft in a Schon butt, from what I understand.

I wonder if that was on Saturday, because I seen him toss his cue, while he was practicing. Maybe that is why he tossed it (because the ferrule broke off).

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
He did look like it was hard to keep from rolling. Shane is coming here in a few months. I sure would like to enter the tournament. But I know my chances of drawing him are slim.

I liked the way he let the old guy win a game...

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sounds like an BAD EXCUSE to me !

Not sure if you were kidding :) But quite a few snooker / billiard players have had their lifelong cues stolen or broken during flights etc and never regained their previous form. Ray Reardon, Stephen Henry, John Spencer and also old billiard players such as Clark McConachy who was World Professional Billiards Champion from 1951 until 1968 who gave his 21 ounce cue away. All of these players never regained the successes they had with their old cue.

Others like Alex Higgins broke the Burwat Champion he used to win his first world title and spent the rest of his career trying to find another cue that hit the same, even to the extent of making public appeals and having dozens sent to him without success.

Pool would be fairly similar if a player gets attached to a shaft that hits and has developed a certain thinned down taper over time and also a shaft that the player has won titles with from a psychological aspect. I don't like LD shafts but once had a 1st edition 30 inch 314 shaft that played lights out and I won a lot of money with it. I had the joint changed 4 times to accommodate new butts and the last cue maker used 400 grit to clean off the old gunge and maybe took a fraction of a millimetre from the taper. Since then the shaft never looked right and I have never been able to play with it since.

There are all sorts of factors which attach players to their equipment, rational or irrational....

Last edited:

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a little story from the cues and views website: http://www.cuesnviews.co.uk/Snooker/cuestories.htm

Cue stories abound from the early days of billiards until today.

Willie Smith was booked to play Walter Lindrum at billiards in the mid 1930’s, it was the custom for people to hang around with players of this calibre and have a bet on the outcome of their matches with all and sundry. Willie told his cronies and backers not to bet on the Lindrum match as he felt the outcome was beyond doubt and that he himself would lose.

When Willie Smith began the match, it turned out in the early part to be closer than anticipated. At a critical juncture of the match during one of the evening rest breaks a punter or punters unknown broke into Willie Smith’s hotel room and destroyed his cue in an attempt to safeguard their investment. Many years later Willie was asked how long it had taken him to get used to another cue, the reply was a revealing one, Willie said that he never had.

John Spencer used to play snooker at his local institute and became accustomed to a particular cue, which was numbered and each night kept in a rack. This cue was a hand-spliced cue but was simply the property of the owners of the organisation.

John Spencer went away for over two years to complete his national service, on his return a friend informed him that the institute had closed for business. John sought out the key holder and gained admittance to the premises in the hope of finding his old cue, in the cellar he and the key-holder discovered the cue floating in shallow water. John took the cue home and after some years won two of his three world championships with it, he was never the same player when the cue was severely damaged in a car accident some years later.

Ray Reardon and Eddie Charlton achieved great success with one cue exclusively throughout their respective careers, in both their cases this particular cue was stolen from them and they struggled to regain their best form from this moment onwards. Ray used an old Burwat Champion and Eddie a Clark McConachy cue both made by Burroughes and Watts.

These players have been quoted as saying that their cue becomes almost a part of them and feels like an extension to their arm.

Stephen Hendry’s cue was once stolen from a tournament, he was so dependent on this cue for his success that a reward of fifteen thousand pounds was offered for its return. He has gone on to win many more world titles and an impressive number of 147 breaks in competition, how different would his career have been if the cue had been destroyed?

I feel for Alain Robidoux, who was consistently performing at a top sixteen level, when a cue maker took exception to his cue carrying a rival cue making company’s logo was seen on television. The next time that the cue was returned to him for repair work, he decided to destroy it. Alain has struggled since the cues untimely demise and has sadly plummeted down the ranking list. It is a sad commentary that the cue maker felt unable to discuss his feelings and probably had no idea of the cues true value to Alain.

Alex Higgins spent the majority of his career seeking the ideal cue and when he felt that he had a close one in his hands he still felt the need to tinker with the balance, adding weight and drilling them out.

Willie Thorne still uses a Walter Lindrum machine spliced cue that was bought for him many years ago and has made more 147 breaks than any other player with it. It seems clear that right cue when allied to the right player can become a formidable and successful combination.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I know you are trying to be funny but lets use this analogy

People dont buy air jordons expecting to play like Michael....they but the because he markets them. Or any other products pros endorse for that matter.

Cuetec happens to sponsor the bed played in America and most fans make fun of their products.. No one who buys a cue Tec because they think it will make then play like Shane. They just might be buying it to support the company he endorses. Nah ...that would be too much to expect from pool players wouldn't it ?

I bought my Cuetec cue years ago because whenever I watched televised matches ten years ago I saw Cuetec banners all around the arena. So, I suppose marketing DOES work. :wink:

I have since moved on to other cues, but I still pull the ol' Cuetec out every now and then (now with an R360 shaft) for old times sake.

I bought my son a Cuetec w/SST shaft for Christmas more than a few years ago. I recently dug it out of his case (he leaves it at my house because I've got a home table). Incredibly, the cue felt good while I shot with it (using a pool glove), and the hit felt way better than I remembered it did years ago. I actually keep the cue screwed together and in my cue rack now. I shoot with it often.

For all the Cuetec naysayers out there, SVB's (and Earl before him) success goes to prove that it's not the arrow, it's the Indian that matters as far as great pool shooting goes. I highly doubt that Shane could have had any more success than he has over the past eight years with any other brand cue.

Maniac

Missing Link

Lock N Link
Silver Member

Coop, I just messaged Dayne to get on that waiting list. It filled up yesterday and payday was today haha. It would be cool to get put out by Shave or JA.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to remember. Didn't he used to play with a Schon butt and a 314 shaft?

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe me

I thought about getting one of those shafts fitted to a McDermot I gave my 12 year old grandson. The shaft looks like an hour glass, thanks to the green pad use years ago.

He recently took an interest in playing in a weekly 8 Ball tournament the local pool hall has on Sunday afternoons. He even won his first game last Sunday, which was huge after loosing 11 straight games.

My reasoning is to help him know, it is the man using the cue that makes the difference, but if it gave him a psychological boost all the better. Also, compared to many other LD shafts, the cost is cheaper.

But, I also want him to know a good hard maple shaft is a proven performer. Any way, if a piece of equipment helps to improve your game, then I say use it.

Missing Link

Lock N Link
Silver Member
I'm trying to remember. Didn't he used to play with a Schon butt and a 314 shaft?

He had Schon Butt with a Joss shaft early on, then used the 314/Schon combo for a while before he got the sponsorship, If I have my cue history right. Being a fan of his is actually what started my love for Schon cues. I had an OLD Meucci Original before that haha.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It still works for me on my iPhone and iPad. It doesn't work from me from the office because we block all videos here. Sorry guys. I think in the other tread about the video. The guy posted a working link.