Table in garage?

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
There is a pool room going out of business in my area. So there is probably an opportunity to get a table at a very good price. My 7' table is all that will fit in my basement. So the only place I could put a 9' table is in my garage. There is no heat there. South Central Pa can get pretty cold sometimes. Even though there is no insulation in the garage, when I go into the garage when it is cold out, I do notice that it is not nearly as cold in the garage. Still it is cold though. Don't know temperature but I figure will probably get to the 30's (F) sometimes.

Can I do this? What kind of cloth should I use? Are the kinds of rails that might hold up in this better?

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you
JR

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
I'd like to get some kind of response here even if you are not very enthusiastic about it.

After all there are even pool tables that are made for out doors which would be a lot worse that my garage.

Please give me a little help here even though you thing it will not be work very good. I need to be hitting on a 9' table at home even if the condition of it isn't the best in that the cloth might not be fast, or whatever.

Thank you
JR

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Simonis 860 for me always.in my opinion you will need an additional heater.preferably one that is direct vent.the garage type "no vent" heaters create humidity which you do not need in PA.you would not want the heater expelling heat directly onto the table or where the cues will be stored.then speak with a person well versed on insulation you can put up poly sheathing or a product called reflectix.this is sold at menards and Lowes.it is 2 layers of aluminum foil with a double layer air bubble in between...the foil reflects heat back into your room..once this is up a wall covering would be needed like panelling.preferably with a dark color as this is best to play against.floor covering like a mildew resistant carpet would be nice..the first time a ball or cue hits the concrete you will realize the importance of carpeting.summer time a screen can be ordered for your garage door entry way to keep out the bugs.good luck....

olsonsview

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Northern Ohio

A neighbor has a pool table in his garage for several years now, seems to be ok. Just cold! He uses a space heater in winter . But certainly not the best of conditions. I think even worse are the mosquitoes in summer, they sure get active after dark, and the bright light over a pool table really draws them. I cannot use my lathe at night in summer because of those blood suckers!

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
Menards sells the screen doors for large garage doors..they have single and double garage door sizes.or you can special order like i did for very large uncommon sizes.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a table mechanic and I put a lot of tables into garages. Some are carpeted and others aren't finished.

I have a Gold Crown 3 that I put into my garage. It works out great. I have 2 heaters in my garage. 1 is a ceiling mount heater and the other a floor heater. Combined with a fan circulating air they both seem to do a pretty good job. They would probably do better if I put some kind of carpet down to keep the place insulated.

I picked up both from Home Depot. And both are electric.

Here are some pictures of my table in my Garage...
Pictures of Table

I'll get some heater pictures soon.

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
A little more than pictures:eek: :eek: You might want to pull that link.

CaptainJR

Shiver me timbers.
Silver Member
Thank you all for the responses. At least I know it is feasible now. The pricing of the tables I was talking about turned out to be a little more than I expected though. I'll have to start watching the classified adds in the news paper. I figure if I'm a little patient I'll be able to find one.

Thanks again
JR

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
CaptainJR said:
Thank you all for the responses. At least I know it is feasible now. The pricing of the tables I was talking about turned out to be a little more than I expected though. I'll have to start watching the classified adds in the news paper. I figure if I'm a little patient I'll be able to find one.

Thanks again
JR
IF you are in a budget crunch i would suggest totally up ALL costs for remodeling..it can add up reallll fast.good luck Captain keep us posted.